• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Flintstones coming to MeTV

both episodes

I have been watching both episodes each night. From what I can tell, the episodes are uncut, and both the opening and closing credits are shown full screen.
When I was growing up, The Flintstones was my favorite TV show, although I don't remember watching it when it originally aired. It was when it went into syndication in 1968 (second grade) that I fell in love with it. By now, I know most of the episodes by heart.
There was one little detail that surprised me. In the episode about digging the pool in the two couples' back yards, Fred is inside his house wearing his red swim trunks and Wilma says something to him about "building a spite fence." That just wasn't familiar to me!

I've been watching too. Still funny stuff. I kind of wish that instead of an hour, they did a half hour of Flintstones followed by a half hour of The Jetsons.

grrrrr

Last week's episodes (the first week the show was shown) had few commercials and were, I think, run unedited.
This week's episodes have more commercials and both of last night's were edited. The snorkasaurus episode had the segment with the ants and the "Colonel Bogey March" removed (my favorite part of the episode!). "The Hot Piano" had the Professor Pizzicato conversation removed.

A big part of our childhoods.

breaking the fourth wall

This is the first time in a number of years that I've watched The Flintstones regularly, and the detail I'm picking up on this go-around is how many times the characters--even Pebbles--have made an aside, that is, broken the fourth wall and looked directly at the camera (so to speak!) at the audience.

This is the first time in a number of years that I've watched The Flintstones regularly, and the detail I'm picking up on this go-around is how many times the characters--even Pebbles--have made an aside, that is, broken the fourth wall and looked directly at the camera (so to speak!) at the audience.

The most memorable of those wall-breaking statements was Fred's "That's right. We're having a baby!" announcement of Wilma's pregnancy.

Turning Back

Beginning December 22 (first day of winter and Sunday before Christmas), MeTV will begin the entire run of the Flintstones all over again.

It’s too bad that Neal Sabin and MeTV is tripling down on airing this show in early access. The show is better suited for a early morning time slot. The network used to put close attention to detail in the “classic” part of classic TV.

sound effects

I watched the two episodes that were shown on Dec. 25. The first one was about Fred hiding Betty's engagement ring in his bowling ball, and Wilma finding it. The closing credits, when the cat jumps back in the window and strands Fred outside, had the door slam much louder than normal.
The second episode was the Christmas episode, and there were bells ringing in the background in one scene, and then when Fred gets to the North Pole the sound of the cold wind blowing is very apparent. Again, I don't ever remember hearing these sounds. If they were there originally, it's been decades since I've heard them.

second season with wrong credits

The first time Me TV showed The Flintstones last fall, the second season had the correct opening and closing credits, the one with the instrumental theme. This time around, the credits are from the fifth season, with the Flintstones picking up the Rubbles and all of them going to the drive-in, and then at the end coming home.

details i've noticed recently

MeTV just finished its second round of showing season four of The Flintstones. Here are some details I've noticed.
At some point during the filming of this season, Bea Benaderet must have been replaced by Gerry Johnson. In the closing credits of the second half of the season, there is no listing for the voice of Betty in the closing credits. Once season five starts, Gerry is listed.
Also in the closing credits of season four, the credits that MeTV has (I don't know if this is true elsewhere) are fading. It's especially noticeable when the carhop puts the ribs on the car and the car falls over. Everyone is very pale and the sky is washed out.*
In the "Bachelor Daze" episode (the one about how Fred and Barney meet Wilma and Betty), the little sequence--maybe 15 seconds--about the bird horn getting stuck in the car that Betty and Wilma are sitting in, was deleted.

*You know that long-running joke about how many millions of time the skier tumbles off the ski jump on Wide World of Sports? I have recently begun to wonder how many times that poor carhop--I named her Janet--has struggled to carry those enormous ribs to the Flintstones!

wrong opening credits

When MeTV aired its first round of The Flintstones last fall, it used the correct 1960-1962 opening and closing credits for the first two seasons. During the second round, only the first season had the correct credits, with the second season of the Flintstones and Rubbles going to the drive-in The third round just started, and the first season is being shown with the drive-in credits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom