• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

fictional towns

Brain teaser for everyone here: what do The Partridge Family and Green Acres have in common? Hint: it's in the opening credits. I just noticed this the other night on MeTV.
Never saw either, as they were not run where I lived. So tell us!

Didn't Springfield, Vermont, win that honor? I was still living in Connecticut (a state without a Springfield) then, but I vaguely recall hearing or reading about Vermont's Springfield getting some sort of Simpsons-related distinction.
Could be. I was working in Springfield Ohio at the time.

Never saw either, as they were not run where I lived. So tell us!

Piet Mondrian-style artwork (geometric colored shapes of different colors separated by black lines).

In the case of Green Acres, it's the abstract painting on the wall of Oliver and Lisa's apartment in Manhattan. In the case of The Partridge Family, the design on the bus.

1699985355695.png

1699985463383.png

I couldn't find a picture of where the artwork appears in the credits, but it's there toward the end.

Just about every American daytime soap opera was set in a fictional city in an unnamed state:

Search for Tomorrow -- Henderson
The Doctors -- Madison
Love of Life -- Rose Hill
Another World -- Bay City
Somerset -- Somerset
As the World Turns -- Oakdale
General Hospital -- Port Charles
Port Charles -- Port Charles

etc., etc.

Also, The Vampire Diaries was set in Mystic Falls, Virginia.
At one point on General Hospital, they said it was Port Charles, New York.

This was during the height of the “Luke & Laura” days. I remember Laura was trying to call home and told the operator she needed to call “Port Charles, New York.”

Apparently she didn’t know anyone’s phone number or how to “dial one, plus the are code.”

At one point on General Hospital, they said it was Port Charles, New York.

Yes, newsmark, you're so right! It got a little confusing at one point because of the swiftness with which people were able to travel between Port Charles and Puerto Rico. It almost felt like the two were adjacent, LOL!

The Partridge Family lived in the fictitious town of San Pueblo, California.

"San Pueblo" was an ill-considered attempt to make up a Spanish-sounding name. "San" is Spanish for "saint", and "pueblo" either means "people" or "town/village". It doesn't make sense.
Oddly enough, this makes it even more plausibly Californian. Towns like "Mar Vista" and "Isla Vista" don't make any sense in Spanish either! In real Spanish "Mar Vista" would be "Miramar".

Oddly enough, this makes it even more plausibly Californian. Towns like "Mar Vista" and "Isla Vista" don't make any sense in Spanish either! In real Spanish "Mar Vista" would be "Miramar".
Or, more probably, Vistamar or Vista Mar... of which there are several, from Panamá to the Canary Islands!

Of course, CA, AZ, NM and TX are filled with street and development names that are not even in correct gender agreement like Calle De La Sol.

Last edited:
Or, more probably, Vistamar or Vista Mar... of which there are several, from Panamá to the Canary Islands!

Of course, CA, AZ, NM and TX are filled with street and development names that are not even in correct gender agreement like Calle De La Sol.

Faux versions of other languages are part and parcel of American advertising, not only Spanish, but French, German, Italian, possibly others. They really don't know the language, so they just kind of "wing it" to concoct something catchy. There's a beauty salon near my home that has a horribly butchered pseudo-French name.

English is used similarly in some Asian countries, but at least in those cases, they're trying to render it the best way they know how. It's more a case of "yes, it's grammatically correct, but no English-speaker would ever say something like that". It's basically due to a lack of native experience in the language.

These two fictional towns were introduced during TV's infancy: Riverdale and River Heights. Both have been in many movies and TV shows since then.
The other one I just thought of was Hudson, Alberta, in the series Heartland.

English is used similarly in some Asian countries, but at least in those cases, they're trying to render it the best way they know how. It's more a case of "yes, it's grammatically correct, but no English-speaker would ever say something like that". It's basically due to a lack of native experience in the language.
The strangest for me was working with a Chinese electronics manufacturer, who had a customer service representative named Angela Lee. I had done business with them before, and Angela was always the person who handled it for me. But then I get an e-mail from Angela, trying to recruit me as a potential customer, apparently with no knowledge of our prior dealings.

A sudden case of amnesia? No, as it turns out, "Angela Lee" was just a fake name used by all of their reps! Needless to say, I'm not giving them any more of my business.

The strangest for me was working with a Chinese electronics manufacturer, who had a customer service representative named Angela Lee. I had done business with them before, and Angela was always the person who handled it for me. But then I get an e-mail from Angela, trying to recruit me as a potential customer, apparently with no knowledge of our prior dealings.

A sudden case of amnesia? No, as it turns out, "Angela Lee" was just a fake name used by all of their reps! Needless to say, I'm not giving them any more of my business.
I wouldn't be doing business with Verizon, Bank of America, SiriusXM or Xfinity if I were to insist that every "Lance," "Kaitlyn" or "Christian" who picked up the phone in India, Egypt or Malaysia when I call customer service use his or her real name. All those corporations offshore their customer service operations. Why pay someone $15 an hour when you can have someone else pay them $5?

Reading the news on the Chinese press service, Xinhua, I find that they have their own version or style of English, much as Jamaica or Belize do. Slight differences in verb tenses, modifications of idiomatic expressions and the like show what you mention as "lack of native experience" but this is a self-perpetuating modification of English within a closed system.

I wouldn't be doing business with Verizon, Bank of America, SiriusXM or Xfinity if I were to insist that every "Lance," "Kaitlyn" or "Christian" who picked up the phone in India, Egypt or Malaysia when I call customer service use his or her real name. All those corporations offshore their customer service operations. Why pay someone $15 an hour when you can have someone else pay them $5?
I have seen that done before the internet. Whether you call Angela Lee, Shirley Whitegirl or Missy Smith depends on the lead source.

Reading the news on the Chinese press service, Xinhua, I find that they have their own version or style of English, much as Jamaica or Belize do. Slight differences in verb tenses, modifications of idiomatic expressions and the like show what you mention as "lack of native experience" but this is a self-perpetuating modification of English within a closed system.
And then there's Indian English. I can chance upon a random website, and if it's from India, it jumps out at me. It's hard to describe. But the phrase "do the needful" is incredibly efficient and conveys a lot of meaning in just those three words.

And then there's Indian English. I can chance upon a random website, and if it's from India, it jumps out at me. It's hard to describe. But the phrase "do the needful" is incredibly efficient and conveys a lot of meaning in just those three words.
I like “kindly do the needful”

Back
Top Bottom