• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

fictional towns

Llanview (One Life To Live) and Pine Valley (All My Children) were fictional suburbs of Philadelphia although I don’t even think they referred to Philly by name. Agnes Nixon (who created both shows) lived in a suburb of Philadelphia and there were often references on AMC to “center city” and “Locust Street” where the character who was prostituting herself would go (and at the time was a red light district in Philly at the time). One of OLTL’s opening featured photo montages including center city Philly’s skyline and a newsstand prominently featuring the Philadelphia Inquirer

Only the pilot for Twin Peaks was actually shot in North Bend WA. The rest was on a CA soundstage with occasional as needed "scenic" exterior shots edited in over the years. Most of the exterior shots with actors were shot in CA.

Probably if produced today this show would be shot in and around Vancouver BC.

San Pueblo has gotta be a parody name of San Pedro the Los Angeles area District where the Port of Los Angeles is located. But there's another city with San and P as the first Letter. The closest one is San Pablo in Northern California. One can imply it's a mix of both if one isn't aware of the specific references of San Pueblo.

San Pedro, which is also mispronounced as "San Peedro". I remember that Alex Trebek pronounced it "correctly" on Jeopardy, and the contestant let him know how the locals actually pronounced it.
It can make things awkward for Spanish-Speaking Latinos in LA, just like Los Feliz does.

San Pedro, which is also mispronounced as "San Peedro". I remember that Alex Trebek pronounced it "correctly" on Jeopardy, and the contestant let him know how the locals actually pronounced it.
It can make things awkward for Spanish-Speaking Latinos in LA, just like Los Feliz does.
ROFLMAO

Llanview (One Life To Live) and Pine Valley (All My Children) were fictional suburbs of Philadelphia although I don’t even think they referred to Philly by name. Agnes Nixon (who created both shows) lived in a suburb of Philadelphia and there were often references on AMC to “center city” and “Locust Street” where the character who was prostituting herself would go (and at the time was a red light district in Philly at the time). One of OLTL’s opening featured photo montages including center city Philly’s skyline and a newsstand prominently featuring the Philadelphia Inquirer

I can't help noticing that "Llanview" appears pseudo-Welsh, which isn't surprising for Philadelphia, think Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd.

From animated series: there's Bluffington from "Doug," and Quahog, RI from "Family Guy."
"The Golden Girls" takes place in Miami, but Rose mentions a fictional town, Tyler's Landing, MN, in some of her St. Olaf Stories. (There really is a St. Olaf, though it's a township, not a town. It's in Otter Tail County in western MN, a ways southeast of Fargo, ND.)

From animated series: there's Bluffington from "Doug," and Quahog, RI from "Family Guy."
It's always made me chuckle a bit that Quahog has its own newscast. I know it's mostly for the jokes, but as a suburb of Providence, you'd think the locals would watch Providence stations.

I don't think Rhode Island is large enough to support two media markets!

It's always made me chuckle a bit that Quahog has its own newscast. I know it's mostly for the jokes, but as a suburb of Providence, you'd think the locals would watch Providence stations.

Poetic license. As far as I am aware, Family Guy never refers to Providence at all.

I suppose it could be a cable access channel... XD

Back
Top Bottom