• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February PPM

Here is a list of the top morning shows in Atlanta based on cume:

Atlanta's Morning News is a great show. In addition to "sounding like Atlanta," the anchor (Scott Slade), co-anchors and reporters all are excellent. The tempo and production values keep the show interesting and moving.

Those ratings are of course cumes. With the advent of the PPM, stations do need a big cume to end up with a high AQH rating. But agency buyers rarely look at cume. AQH ratings are a better indicator of how the station is doing.

Atlanta's Morning News is a great show. In addition to "sounding like Atlanta," the anchor (Scott Slade), co-anchors and reporters all are excellent. The tempo and production values keep the show interesting and moving.

Those ratings are of course cumes. With the advent of the PPM, stations do need a big cume to end up with a high AQH rating. But agency buyers rarely look at cume. AQH ratings are a better indicator of how the station is doing.
How often do you look at share rather than rating? And how often does one single book influence a buying decision?

Here is a list of the top morning shows in Atlanta based on cume:
And based on share, the 12+ rolling average for Q4 of last year is
WSB
WFSH
WWWQ
WSRV
WAMJ
WALR
WSB FM
WPZE
WABE
WWPW
WGKZ
WVEE

That share for the Fish is likely pushed by the Christmas music in Q4. Might be interesting to compare it to Q3.
Good point, but I don't have prior quarters. However, if we look at The Fish, it is always pretty strong in that market

Typo on WGKZ? A Google search for WGKZ Atlanta only leads me to WGKA 920, so I don't think there's a WGKZ in Atlanta.
WGKA. Hard to read a 100 column spreadsheet at times...

And seeing any AM other than 'SB on a list is interesting. The next one to show in mornings is WCNN and it is down at 22nd.

How often do you look at share rather than rating? And how often does one single book influence a buying decision?
Aside from the public P6+ shares, I don't look at shares. The media plan specifies the number of rating points to be purchased based on the desired reach and frequency. So we have a rating point/GRP goal for each buy.

I can't speak for others, but I always look at an average of at least 2 months. And when the most recent 2 months include the December or Holiday monthly, I substitute the most recent month prior to that.

I wonder how WGKA is doing in AM drive versus other dayparts.

Although its total share should bear it out, I was a little surprised River does as well as it does in AM drive. Must be a large market for a talk-light, music-heavy morning show.

Typo on WGKZ? A Google search for WGKZ Atlanta only leads me to WGKA 920, so I don't think there's a WGKZ in Atlanta.
What about WZGC?

Also, the typo is where the list ranks WSRV at #2 with a weekly cume that falls behind WWWQ and WSB-FM (The cume for WSRV is different in the text (I guess it's the correct number (?))).

Also, nothing is mentioned about WSB's traffic reports. Wouldn't that be the "driving" force that boosts WSB's ratings and morning cume? Most mornings, the traffic report is the top story of the hour.

What about WZGC?

Also, the typo is where the list ranks WSRV at #2 with a weekly cume that falls behind WWWQ and WSB-FM (The cume for WSRV is different in the text (I guess it's the correct number (?))).

Also, nothing is mentioned about WSB's traffic reports. Wouldn't that be the "driving" force that boosts WSB's ratings and morning cume? Most mornings, the traffic report is the top story of the hour.
Certainly. Traffic reports are an important part of Atlanta's Morning News as is weather. Mark McKay does a great job with traffic.

WVEE just dont get the ratings they used to anymore. Many Urban Contempary stations are in a slump right nwo
Keep in mind that, despite the efforts to chalk this up to "young people don't listen to radio", the reason is mostly radio's inability to play the majority of current hits due to lyric content.

Keep in mind that, despite the efforts to chalk this up to "young people don't listen to radio", the reason is mostly radio's inability to play the majority of current hits due to lyric content.
I think there are still plenty of young people who still listen to radio. But many of this new rap content is censored on the radio causing people to listen less

Edison's latest report says many adults under age 34 don't have even one radio in the home. Many (30 percent or thereabouts, if I remember correctly) spend zero time with radio programming over the course of a full week, whether at home, in the car, at work or elsewhere.

To chalk up the ratings issues of hip hop radio solely to lack of explicit lyrical content is an over simplification. Is it a considerable factor? Yes.

Edison's latest report says many adults under age 34 don't have even one radio in the home.
But that ignores the fact that "radio stations" can be listened to on new media devices. "Alexa, play K-love 107.5 Los Angeles" will get me a radio station.

Edison's latest report says many adults under age 34 don't have even one radio in the home. Many (30 percent or thereabouts, if I remember correctly) spend zero time with radio programming over the course of a full week,

It's too bad the electronics manufacturing industry has basically closed down that business. Consider how much money one of them would have made if they created the Echo or other smart speaker. That's their loss. Instead that money goes to Big Tech. We're not in the hardware business. We create content. People listen to content in many different ways. I that regard, Nielsen doesn't tell the whole story. If you look at the Edison report, you see why radio companies are in the podcasting business.

We don't program to people who don't listen. So if they don't listen, they live in their own silo. Lots of people are like that. There are lots of reasons for that. I was like that too for a time. Radio is something people use if it gives them what they want. It's been that way for 50 years. Our job is to come up with stuff they want.

Has anybody else noticed that the top of the hour newscast has gotten longer? I listen to the podcast version of the news every hour during the day. WSB has the system set to automatically record 7.5 minutes of the top of the hour. Up until a few weeks ago, I normally got the first two minutes of regular programming (05:30-:07:30) with the exception of the Noon "expanded news", 5:00 pm news, and the 6:00 pm "non-stop news". During the last two or three weeks, I now hearing the weather cut off at :07:30 or the news end almost exactly at :07:30.

Do you think this expanded news is going to help? Or, are people going to think there is too much news and not enough talk?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom