• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC to investigate PPM?

Check the homepage for the story. Filing is located here.

What's up with this? Since when is Arbitron subject to scrutiny by the FCC? They are neither a licensee nor regulated by the Commission - they are a private company, and can offer their service any way they wish. If the crybabies don't like it, let them start their own ratings company with their own methodology. After all, it's a free country (for now).

-- Doc

DoctorWu said:
Check the homepage for the story. Filing is located here.

What's up with this? Since when is Arbitron subject to scrutiny by the FCC? They are neither a licensee nor regulated by the Commission - they are a private company, and can offer their service any way they wish. If the crybabies don't like it, let them start their own ratings company with their own methodology. After all, it's a free country (for now).

-- Doc

Exactly!

The FCC is an agency out of control and Copps is moron that couldn't pass a ham license.

Face it...... Those who vote for your viewpoint, get upset when the 'cookie cart' shows that the old methodology is not really where things were really at.. New York and New Jersey's challenges were quickly dismissed and settled because 'pager type monitors', like Nielson TV-Meter Boxes do not show bias to any ethnic, race, creed, gender or lifestyle... And Arbitron has shown it can determine how many from each said were assigned PPM's and they can weight them by the listening of the person profiled... Diaries are on the way out and it's upseting many long time minority owners who now realize they had inflated numbers to sell.... So, if you can't win the ratings with modern technology, ask for a bailout and sell your sole and business decision process to "Big Brother"..... Copps is mad and yet once the FCC and FBI investigate they will find there is no leg to stand on, as Arbitron is using technology that takes error out... While were at it, let's sue Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and insist we go back to pre-computer, pre-caculator days of heavy error... Damn those computers and calculators! They don't give me the results I WANT!

skippertthomas said:
And Arbitron has shown it can determine how many from each said were assigned PPM's and they can weight them by the listening of the person profiled...

Seems to me that profiling and weighting are bigger issues than the devices.

The top issue with NY Attorney General Como was placement of meters... Once it was determined that Arbitron was having more success with minority placement of the meters (far better than diary returns), NY and Arbitron worked it out, and so did NJ.... So a lot of hot air was thrown up about a negative impact, when in reality Arbitron was sensitive to that issue of minority placement in 'testing' and before making it available to the selected major markets.... I will say (and I at times have been a big 'critic' of Arbitron and it's hold on the ratings game in radio) they did their homework and have handled the 'fear factor' from the marketplace, well... I am glad to see Nielson take on radio ratings and give a big 'kudos' to Eastlan for small-regional markets that are customized to show strength of stations, their signals, their formats and community reach.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom