• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC rule on TV broadcast in 2009

I know I know; this is for radio questions, but I have a question that I know some of you folks can answer......What exactly will happen in Feb 2009 with the issue of broadcasting over the airwaves.. I keep reading and hearing different things.
1. Will over the air signals stop then or
2. Will TV's have to have HD to pick up signals.
3. Will everyone need to have cable or dish to receive TV in their homes.

I have a friend who swears he knows someone in Washington that has assured him that stations will still be broadcasting over the airwaves.. Anyone know the facts

Thanks much

I see nowhere that limits discussion on this board to radio; the FCC regulates television as well as radio, and although this question is better suited for the National Television board, it can be answered here.

• Over-the-air television will not stop. On February 17, 2009, all full-service television stations must be converted to digital broadcast, and analog broadcast will cease. This is for full-service stations only. The digital broadcast will still be over-the-air, but you will either need a digital television set, or a converter box that converts the digital signal into an analog signal that analog television receivers can receive. Most full-service stations received from the FCC a companion channel over which they broadcast in digital. In 2009, they will either turn off the existing analog channel and continue over their digital channel, or they will move the digital transmission to their old analog channel and return the channel used for digital back to the FCC.
  • Low-power television (LPTV) stations are also converting to digital broadcast, but unlike the full-service stations, they have no timetable for doing so. They are a secondary service, so any primary service has priority over them. Many LPTV stations have elected a companion channel on which to begin digital broadcasts, and some are already on the air. Other stations will "flash cut" to digital, that is, turn off their analog broadcast, and immediately turn on the digital broadcast.
  • For full-service and low-power stations with companion channels, regardless of what channel the station physically uses to broadcast, your television should tune in using the old analog assignment, through what is known as virtual channels. For example, KTVK channel 3 in Phoenix has elected to broadcast on their digital assignment, channel 24, after the assignment, but TV tuners still pick them up as channel 3.
  • One of the biggest confusions in the digital television transition has been DTV vs. HDTV. DTV means digital television; HDTV means high-definition television. While all HDTV is DTV, not all DTV is HDTV. And not all stations will be broadcasting an HD signal. You need a digital television set, but not necessarily an HDTV set. HDTV broadcasts can be received by any digital TV set, but it will not be in high definition if your TV set can't handle it.
  • You will not need cable or satellite to receive TV. DTV is over-the-air. In fact, you may get a better signal picking the station up over-the-air than through cable or satellite.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

A complete and thorough answer from someone who seems to know their business. Thanks for the response. I've printed it out and will keep it on hand. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom