• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite non-commercial Music Station? Also, any of them playing pop?

KCEP used to, maybe still does, air "Tell Me More with Michelle Martin", which is an NPR show. Maybe that's why they showed up on the rolls. But AFAIK, they are not a member station, and TMM is/was the only NPR show they aired.

Wbzc in south jersey www.z889.org. Chr with a heavy EDM lean. This format is what the high school and college students are listening to. Numbers continue to go up. kNHC in Seattle is seeing the same success. Non com does not always have to be AAA classical jazz and religious. Promote it right and the younger demo will listen

I seem to remember a few years ago hearing WJFF in the NY Catskills being largely free-form. I haven't been back to that area since so I can't comment if they are still doing this.

Towson University's 89.7/WTMD, Baltimore. They do their own brand of Triple A and has become the favorite of critics ("Baltimore's best radio station" and the like) and the cool choice for Bmore's upscale 30-somethings. (An aside)--one of my kids is a TU grad, and during her years there wouldn't be caught dead listening to TMD. Now it's all she listens to...

I want to plug KCMP The Current's HD / online channels:

Local Current - haven't listened much, but seems like a great way to add more "music discovery" and local content
http://www.thecurrent.org/local

Wonderground Radio - "Radio for kids and their grown-ups" Their description says "Wonderground Radio offers the best music for kids and adults to enjoy together: Sesame Street to the Rolling Stones, Bunny Clogs to the Beach Boys, Laurie Berkner to Belle and Sebastian."
I can't say it much better. For those wanting something that sits in between The Current and an oldies station, if you can tolerate the fact that they throw in Sesame & Wiggles tracks occasionally, it's a heck of an interesting format. The hipster version of Radio Disney.
http://www.thecurrent.org/wonderground

Radio Heartland - a true AAA/Americana service. Also has a few songs some could describe as classic country.
http://www.thecurrent.org/heartland

All 3 are excellent formats that compliment the full power stations already offered by MPR.

Don't forget that the adult-leaning AAA music format runs a nice swath along I-70 and I-71 from Pittsburgh (WYEP) to midday programming in Columbus (WCBE) and Dayton (WYSO), and fulltime in Louisville on WFPK. Cincinnati's WNKU and its repeaters are a bit more Americana leaning. Not sure, but perhaps all of them also air World Cafe. That's probably a better concentration of the format than you'll find in other regions of the country.

Goldilocks94941 said:
Don't forget that the adult-leaning AAA music format runs a nice swath along I-70 and I-71 from Pittsburgh (WYEP) to midday programming in Columbus (WCBE) and Dayton (WYSO), and fulltime in Louisville on WFPK. Cincinnati's WNKU and its repeaters are a bit more Americana leaning. Not sure, but perhaps all of them also air World Cafe. That's probably a better concentration of the format than you'll find in other regions of the country.
WNKU has the advantage of a 100kW repeater, one thing most noncoms don't have the luxury of.

Has anyone considered this Apple in Appleton?
This Golden Delicious produces a unique syndicated format.

ai4i said:
Has anyone considered this Apple in Appleton?
This Golden Delicious produces a unique syndicated format.

Yeah, these guys are the ones who run their commercial format factory (syndicating "The Avenue" and other stuff) while disguised as an NCE, right? Like EMF without the religion...

A bit like Starbucks XM Café or maybe the SiriusXM Spectrum/Loft/Coffee House?

amfmxm said:
Maybe I didn't express myself clearly.
You did.
You declined to offer any useful comment on their music selection.

Funny thing about non-profits...it is not only legal but wise to generate more cash than you need; you simply don't pay dividends. Non-profits operate in much the same way any for profit business would. The non-profit funnels spare dollars into emergency funds, rainy day funds and projects while the for profit does the same except there are individuals that get a percentage of the overage.

Now, there are many non-profit radio programs with for profit companies. Prairie Home Companion, a MPR program, has entities that market 'product' to the public.

Non-profits don't survive unless they can generate the funds to keep going. Same goes for businesses.

And a non-profit cannot be a for profit by design, disguise or any other means. They can conduct themselves in a way that can put their status with the IRS in question.

Many non-profits have 'cousins' that are for profit entities. A venue or office building might pull a tidy profit. Many times those dollars can be put into the non-profit as needed.

I'm not familiar with the entity discussed or their organization details, just offering generalizations on how non-profits operate.

Oh, I don't deny that there are many organizations abusing the living hell out of the non-profit provision of the IRS Tax Code. I've just always thought it was a crime--and an embarrassment for altruistic entities like public broadcasting.

As a progressive, I can't help but think about all the good that might have been accomplished had not so much money been pissed-away (read the article about WNET, PBS, "Independent Lens," & David Koch in this week's "New Yorker")--and not just in public broadcasting, but in higher education (especially public higher education)... healthcare... and social services of all kinds.

But, hey, if it really makes no difference in radio, here's what I propose: do away with the NCE designation, and all the related advantages within the FCC rules & regs--and let public radio slug it out with commercial operators on a level playing-field.

I'd wager ten bucks that within 20 years there would be no such thing as "public radio."

As it is, I'd rather see "The Avenue" outfit pay taxes.

I had typed some comments but they vanished on my...must have hit something, so I hope this is not a repeat.

Perhaps this is foder for a new topic. I think I agree on much of what you wrote. I disagree it will take 20 years for Public Radio to vanish as we know it. Through my eyes the difference between an Enhance Underwriting spot and full fledge commercial is merely the wording. I can't say 'call now' but I can say 'for details the number is...' That line is blurring quickly.

We tend to be critical of any successful non-profit. I think it's the Form 990 we should look at to see if our criticism is warranted. Some hugely successful non-comms with associated for profit 'cousins' funnel lots of that cash to others struggling to keep their non-profit alive. Still many waste and wallow in excess and radio is one of many participants.

Generally when putting together boards we tend to seek out those successful in non-profits and in business, so they think business in all they do. That's not always a bad thing. I agree greed, trying to skirt that line between legal and illegal and trying to find the easiest mode of operating even if it lowers quality and not qualiities I admire. I cling to my moral compass and believe in doing the right thing but I'm not as wide-eyed and innocent as I once was...more of a squint now.

Back to topic. Let me mention KDRP-LP, Dripping Springs, Texas, running a Texas oriented Americana styled format with many local radio perks. They started with many struggles for the first few years but now translators circle Austin and are on about as equal footing as possible with a full power station. They are a very interesting listen and well done without forgetting their humble beginnings. They stream online.

Through my eyes the difference between an Enhance Underwriting spot and full fledge commercial is merely the wording./quote]

You say that like it's not a profound difference.

Anyways, anyone who thinks there's no difference between commercials and underwriting clearly has not tried to sell underwriting to potential clients. When you're forking over cash, suddenly that difference means quite a lot...and woe to the salesperson who isn't prepared for that.

Also, little mentioned in this debate is that in the commercial world, buying ads typically gives you the "right" to exert editorial control over the programming to a substantial degree. The most common example is sponsoring a regular series; that series suddenly becomes a lot about what the sponsor wants it to be about...usually to the sponsor's own fiscal benefit. That editorial control is non-existent in non-commercial radio (where there's almost always a huge firewall between content and sponsorship) and a lot of long-time radio buyers are shocked that their money gets a mention and nothing else. Quite often they're damned obnoxious about it, too.

I know one particular commercial station that's owned by a non-profit and is trying to have it both ways (they're a niche format in a niche market) and they've hired a lot of ex-public radio folks to bulk up their cred for fundraisers. And the producers are CONSTANTLY fending off demands from the business owners (who buy commercials) that the producers do more stories about their businesses.

Anyways, if the commercial restrictions were lifted from NCE's, I'd give it five years...tops...before NPR as we currently know it is dead and gone. Too many NPR affiliates are desperate for cash and would start "selling out", which would destroy the trust in the brand, which would destroy the effectiveness of the fundraising. That trust is absolutely crucial and it's largely based on the idea that NPR affiliates are accountable to listeners, not commercial sponsors.

From the listener standpoint, the difference to their ears is becoming more and more blurred between that of the commercial and Underwriting Acknowledgement.

From the perspective of 'selling' is is a definite disadvantage for the NCE. In the mind of the business owner, the check earns the right for the owner to say what they feel they want to convey to the general public.

As it stands today, the internet might be the saving grace for Underwriting. I have noticed stations like KCME in Colorado allowing a mention on air plus a description of the business on their website. More and more the internet is becoming the closest point of contact between media and the sale. Radio may still lead, as we used to say, in driving your message home, but I think the internet is trying to take the wheel at this point.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom