• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Dj on local radio.

For anyone who's interested, I found the story about Pete Myers' suicide from the Saturday, October 5, 1968 NY Times. (I'm going to guess that the Times won't be too upset about me posting an image of a 55 year old media story.)
Hi, Thanks for digging up the obituary. So sad. Near the bottom of the obituary it said Pete Meyers was survived by his wife and brother Ernesto. A major radio newsman in San Diego (and I believe earlier in Los Angeles) was Ernie Myers who was also an amazing broadcaster. Was the California Ernie Myers Pete's brother?

To be more accurate, the NYT story lists his brother as "H. Ernest Myers". I found an L.A. Times story about Ernie Myers, and if that's not the same guy there are some striking commonalities. Pete was born in San Francisco and was in AFRN during WWII (NYT), while Ernie grew up in Glendale and was in AFRN during the Korean War (LATimes). Pete's first station was KCBQ San Diego, followed by Cleveland and then NYC, while Ernie started out in acting, got hired at WNBC NYC before his military service, and then XTRA and KOGO afterwards.

Nowhere do I see definite confirmation that they were brothers, but if they weren't, the coincidences are incredible.

I’m going way back . John R on WLAC, Ralph Emery on WSM , Wayne Rainey on WLW , Lou Dean and Big John Trimble on WRVA , Shane on WLEE , Kirby Carmichael on WANT , Coyote McCloud on WQXI , Terry Young from all over the place , and Ron Lundy

To be more accurate, the NYT story lists his brother as "H. Ernest Myers". I found an L.A. Times story about Ernie Myers, and if that's not the same guy there are some striking commonalities. Pete was born in San Francisco and was in AFRN during WWII (NYT), while Ernie grew up in Glendale and was in AFRN during the Korean War (LATimes). Pete's first station was KCBQ San Diego, followed by Cleveland and then NYC, while Ernie started out in acting, got hired at WNBC NYC before his military service, and then XTRA and KOGO afterwards.

Nowhere do I see definite confirmation that they were brothers, but if they weren't, the coincidences are incredible.
Weiserguy inspired me to dig deeper. A 2016 San Diego Union-Tribune obituary of veteran Southern California radio personality Ernie Myers revealed he was Pete's brother:

"Henry Ernest Myers was born Nov. 25, 1929, in Van Nuys to Pierre and Gayle Myers. A brother, Pete, was also a famed DJ who went by “Mad Daddy” Myers on the air in Cleveland and New York. He died in 1968."

Well, um, since in some cases, we are showing our age here. I will say Wolfman Jack back in the day, as well as various Boss Jocks on KHJ and KGB, and a few on the legendary KCBQ. I'm very lucky to have been able to listen to all of those stations as a kid and teenager growing up. (Dang, I'm old!)

I remember Wolfman had a stint on, of all places, KSFO 560 in San Francisco. (Late 80s or early 90s) When he first started that time there, he was his usual bombastic self. When it came out that his days there were numbered, he reverted to a very laid back non-Wolfie style.

I remember Wolfman had a stint on, of all places, KSFO 560 in San Francisco. (Late 80s or early 90s) When he first started that time there, he was his usual bombastic self. When it came out that his days there were numbered, he reverted to a very laid back non-Wolfie style.
Wolfman Jack took 7-midnight at KSFO in March of 1993, six months after they ended the KSFO/KYA-FM oldies simulcast.

Wolf was an attempt to lure an audience after KSFO lost the rights to the Oakland A's games, but the whole station was in trouble (tied for 28th place with a 1.0), so the decision was made to go talk six months after he came aboard.

I am going to go with the KDKA folks in the 80's. Jack Bogut, Art Pallen, Trish Beatty, Roy Fox, Perry Marshall, Sara Lockard, and of course John Cigna! They were "The Pulse Of Pittsburgh"

Back
Top Bottom