• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Farthest confirmed reception of X band 1700 Brownsville TX

M

Mid West Clubber

Ive heard this signal has made it into Germany,, any facts to back this up.

I've heard it here in Australia & have recordings. I heard it when it ran an oldies format (KQXX). I managed to grab it once as KVNS.

dxer2_2000

It's a regular on the coast of England. I've heard it myself from a remotely controlled radio there, 500 yards inland.

ALRocker said:
It's a regular on the coast of England. I've heard it myself from a remotely controlled radio there, 500 yards inland.
Was that just before sunset when they were still on 10KW or is it there most of the time when it's dark at both ends?

I usually hear it around 7-8 PM CST, so they should be on night power.

I can get KVNS sometimes under XEPE out of Tecate, Baja California (near San Diego). 2021 miles as the crow flies, my third farthest station of my DX career.
Second farthest is 540 XEWA San Luis Potosi, Mexico at 2129 miles.
Farthest EVER is 1610 Caribbean Beacon out of Angulia. 4000 miles...at least!

-crainbebo

Great timing on this thread!! Just returned from Costa Rica and I can tell you that KVNS was the most dependable AM signal from the US - it was receivable every night in both San Jose and Puntarenas. That's about 1400 miles. Same experience as I had down there in October. For the most part, their signal was fairly weak - but very clear and easy to listen to.

The other signal that was in every night this time was KGOW 'the Game' 1560 (again, inexplicably with a supposed 100 watts). It had a lot more fades than KVNS though.

Got some other Texans on Friday night only - KNTH Houston (1070) and WBAP Ft. Worth. WBAP faded out pretty quickly and was not heard again; KNTH was carrying a Houston Aeros game and was pretty strong...but only that night. Also picked up a basketball game in English on 770, but couldn't ID the station which faded too fast and which was overwhelmed by a local adjacent on 780.

When KVNS comes in here at night and it's dominating 1700, it sometimes gets loud enough that you'd think it was a 50 kw station if you didn't know any better.

Not bad for almost 1000 miles.

BRNout said:
Great timing on this thread!! Just returned from Costa Rica and I can tell you that KVNS was the most dependable AM signal from the US - it was receivable every night in both San Jose and Puntarenas. That's about 1400 miles. Same experience as I had down there in October. For the most part, their signal was fairly weak - but very clear and easy to listen to.

The other signal that was in every night this time was KGOW 'the Game' 1560 (again, inexplicably with a supposed 100 watts). It had a lot more fades than KVNS though.

Got some other Texans on Friday night only - KNTH Houston (1070) and WBAP Ft. Worth. WBAP faded out pretty quickly and was not heard again; KNTH was carrying a Houston Aeros game and was pretty strong...but only that night. Also picked up a basketball game in English on 770, but couldn't ID the station which faded too fast and which was overwhelmed by a local adjacent on 780.

Are we sure KGOW is not running its new 19,000-watt night signal. That would explain hearing it in Central America.

schmave said:
Are we sure KGOW is not running its new 19,000-watt night signal. That would explain hearing it in Central America.

That's what I suspect and - if so - they're doing it pretty much every night. When KGOW was in, it was pretty LOUD - which I couldn't say for KVNS. Clearly (to me) KGOW is using a lot of juice.

About KVNS, their signal reminded me of what the AM dial must have been like back in the 1930's! Having the whole channel to themselves, even their fairly low-powered signal was very dependable. Got a few other X-banders that faded in and out (day to day) but KVNS was always there.

[The 770 may have been KKOB from Albuquerque; they carry UNM Basketball and run 50KW (directional).

BRNout said:
Clearly (to me) KGOW is using a lot of juice.

After a considerable amount of testing which began a few months ago KGOW is now officially on their higher power at night. The license to cover was granted just recently, and by the way, it's 15,000 watts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom