• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Expected format flips in the next few months?

Besides 1959-72, they were also Top 40 from about 1983 to 1998.. Some of the original DJ's from the 60's returned. They played Top 40's oldies. They were about the last Top 40's station on AM. In 1998, they had one remaining DJ on staff- Dick Hugg "Huggie Boy". who left in 1998. That was about the end of AM rock radio in L.A. , I think.
Yes, but that was after several format flips. The point was how long today’s stations can go without one.

Assuming it's something personal and not just that he's anti-social...

Oh, no. I am virulently anti-social.

-- and when has anyone in the media ever been anti-social?

I am not "in the media."

-- reading the discussion might have scared him away from getting sucked into a discussion.

I am not scared of anything.

(Not that I've ever observed David being shy about anything that gets him a dollop of ink.)

You may have observed somebody else, and you clearly do not know me. I could not care less about receiving any amount of ink, even in increments as small as a dollop.

Oh, and the T-shirts? They're real. And they sell like hotcakes during Hay Day in Banta.

====== COTTONMOUTH KID ====== 🐍🌵

Oh, no. I am virulently anti-social.

I am not "in the media."

I am not scared of anything.

You may have observed somebody else, and you clearly do not know me. I could not care less about receiving any amount of ink, even in increments as small as a dollop.

Oh, and the T-shirts? They're real. And they sell like hotcakes during Hay Day in Banta.

====== COTTONMOUTH KID ====== 🐍🌵

That was ABSOLUTELY worth the wait.

Just a note---in a Facebook thread this weekend, David said Cowpoke Radio is his---a tribute to KRAK in the 1960s. So, online only and all references to an over-the-air signal or a presence in Banta is fictional. Imaginative and fun, but fictional.

Hoping the mods – especially my dear Mr. Eduardo – will indulge me here.

To clarify, Cowpoke Radio is not specifically a tribute to KRAK in the 1960s, but I know that quite a few listeners in places as diverse as England, Sweden, Germany (what is it with Germans and Country Music?) and Illinois have found it to be imaginative and fun, despite being almost entirely fictional.

There is, however, a tribute to KRAK (Crack Radio, Eleven-Four-Oh) on the Cowpoke Radio website:

Sacramento's KRAK Country Radio - World Famous KWPX Cowpoke Radio

...as well as to Black Jack Wayne and my second cousin (twice removed) Cottonseed Clark, whose dad taught several generations of Fulks and Jackson kin back in Paris, Texas, in a little one-room schoolhouse:

CottonseedClark.com

Somebody got their panties in a wad because there are fake ads on the station, to which I can only say (in the words of the immortal Mike Sorce) – with all due respect, eat one.

What's the fake ad? Banta General Store? Right there on the corner. Been there a hundred years. The Banta Inn? Nope, right across the street. Banta Beer and Grant Line Lager? Nope, brew it myself. The luxurious Star Motel? Drive past it on 11th Street (old Hiway 50) nearly every darn day. The Banta-Carbona Irrigation District and the guys who convert cow droppings into some of the best fertilizer on God's green Earth?

Yup. Real.

So shake in your brogans and don't buy a damn T-shirt because you're all afeared to give your credit card number on Zazzle – Zazzle, you cotton-picking genius! – where we sell our high-quality T-shirts.

Some horse's hiney also guessed that I took a picture of my daughter wearing a Cowpoke Radio T-shirt ... which tells me that his imagination is even more vivid than mine. (My wife and I have two sons.) You might want to read the caption under that photo on the KWPX website. There are clues. Some of them are actually smacking you in the face, hard, if you're paying attention.

Some other jackhole (bless his pea-pickin' heart) said something about Cowpoke Radio claiming to broadcast on 104.9 FM or some such horsepoop (sorry, no), and that we were not licensed by the FCC. 😱

To that, I can only say ... share whatever you're smoking, friend, because it's clearly the good stuff. It's a silly, stupid, pretend radio station on the internet that I did as a tip of the Stetson to my Texas-born dad who died when I was a kid.

He loved Western Music. Over the years, he always had KEEN, KSAY, KVSM, KRAK, KTRB or some hillbilly station or another on his presets, so after I was done programming KMPH in Modesto for Harry Pappas (with Manoli Pappas running the office, John Taylor doing sales, and Paul Shinn keeping the signal running) I was asked by someone 🙂 with a connection to KSTN to create their "buffer" programming – first, to meet the FCC requirement so that their license didn't lapse, and then to bridge the gap to their re-brand (cattle joke!) as 🐄 105.9 The Bull.

ADD: This also is the reason why Cowpoke Radio and KMPH had the same phone number – once Relevant Radio (which got credit for the 93/KHJ airchecks that Mr. Hagerty and I provided to Quentin Tarantino's research assistant for use in "Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood") (where was I?) (oh, yeah...) once Relevant Radio took over KMPH, I still owned that phone number. When it was KMPH's phone number, you could call requests into "Wolfman Jack" (a soundalike we found through a nationwide Wolfman Jack-Off) and we'd rock and roll yourself to death.

Anyway...

After that, being a frequent patron of the Banta Inn, and having a hard-drive chockful of (wonderful) old Western Music from back when Bakersfield was the center of this particular universe – as well as a belly full of beer – I walked outside of the venerable watering hole one evening and saw the sign proclaiming it as "A Cowpokes Saloon."

Say it with me. Cowpokes. K-W-P-X.

1692327124504.png

But you didn't hear it from me.

Last edited:

To clarify, Cowpoke Radio is not specifically a tribute to KRAK in the 1960s, but I know that quite a few listeners in places as diverse as England, Sweden, Germany (what is it with Germans and Country Music?) and Illinois have found it to be imaginative and fun, despite being almost entirely fictional.

There is, however, a tribute to KRAK (Crack Radio, Eleven-Four-Oh) on the Cowpoke Radio website:

...as well as to Black Jack Wayne and my second cousin (twice removed) Cottonseed Clark, whose dad taught several generations of Fulks and Jackson kin back in Paris, Texas, in a little one-room schoolhouse:

CottonseedClark.com

Somebody got their panties in a wad because there are fake ads on the station, to which I can only say (in the words of the immortal Mike Sorce) – with all due respect, eat one.

What's the fake ad? Banta General Store? Right there on the corner. Been there a hundred years. The Banta Inn? Nope, right across the street. Banta Beer and Grant Line Lager? Nope, brew it myself. The luxurious Star Motel? Drive past it on 11th Street (old Hiway 50) nearly every darn day. The Banta-Carbona Irrigation District and the guys who convert cow droppings into some of the best fertilizer on God's green Earth?

Yup. Real.

So shake in your brogans and don't buy a damn T-shirt because you're all afeared to give your credit card number on Zazzle – Zazzle, you cotton-picking genius! – where we sell our high-quality T-shirts.

Some horse's hiney also guessed that I took a picture of my daughter wearing a Cowpoke Radio T-shirt ... which tells me that his imagination is even more vivid than mine. (My wife and I have two sons.) You might want to read the caption under that photo on the KWPX website. There are clues. Some of them are actually smacking you in the face, hard, if you're paying attention.

Some other jackhole (bless his pea-pickin' heart) said something about Cowpoke Radio claiming to broadcast on 104.9 FM or some such horsepoop (sorry, no), and that we were not licensed by the FCC. 😱

To that, I can only say ... share whatever you're smoking, friend, because it's clearly the good stuff. It's a silly, stupid, pretend radio station on the internet that I did as a tip of the Stetson to my Texas-born dad who died when I was a kid.

He loved Western Music. Over the years, he always had KEEN, KSAY, KVSM, KRAK, KTRB or some hillbilly station or another on his presets, so after I was done programming KMPH in Modesto for Harry Pappas (with Manoli Pappas running the office, John Taylor doing sales, and Paul Shinn keeping the signal running) I was asked by someone 🙂 with a connection to KSTN to create their "buffer" programming – first, to meet the FCC requirement so that their license didn't lapse, and then to bridge the gap to their re-brand (cattle joke!) as 🐄 105.9 The Bull.

After that, being a frequent patron of the Banta Inn, and having a hard-drive chockful of (wonderful) old Western Music from back when Bakersfield was the center of this particular universe – as well as a belly full of beer – I walked outside of the venerable watering hole and saw the sign proclaiming it as "A Cowpokes Saloon."

A close friend of mine, who was born in Germany and came to this country with his parents at the age of two, told me that one of the very first "American" things his dad bought here in California, was a beautiful and expensive cowboy hat. He wore it outdoors most every day. My friend told me that the German fascination with the American West is virtually limitless...

A close friend of mine, who was born in Germany and came to this country with his parents at the age of two, told me that one of the very first "American" things his dad bought here in California, was a beautiful and expensive cowboy hat. He wore it outdoors most every day. My friend told me that the German fascination with the American West is virtually limitless...
This fascination can be traced to an author named Karl May, whose closest brush with the American West was Buffalo, New York.

Reference (from the New Mexico History Museum (!)): Details.

CottonseedClark.com

Yup. Real.

ADD: This also is the reason why Cowpoke Radio and KMPH had the same phone number – once Relevant Radio (which got credit for the 93/KHJ airchecks that Mr. Hagerty and I provided to Quentin Tarantino's research assistant for use in "Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood") (where was I?) (oh, yeah...) once Relevant Radio took over KMPH, I still owned that phone number. When it was KMPH's phone number, you could call requests into "Wolfman Jack" (a soundalike we found through a nationwide Wolfman Jack-Off) and we'd rock and roll yourself to death.

Anyway...

After that, being a frequent patron of the Banta Inn, and having a hard-drive chockful of (wonderful) old Western Music from back when Bakersfield was the center of this particular universe – as well as a belly full of beer – I walked outside of the venerable watering hole one evening and saw the sign proclaiming it as "A Cowpokes Saloon."

We really need to give awards on this site. That was one helluva great read.

KREV's currently format is nothing more than a placeholder until the upcoming court ordered auction of Stolz's properties.
Why do stations put placeholder formats on the air under circumstances like this rather than let the existing format go on autopilot? I mean, if only Godcasters have the money to buy up orphaned stations like this, what difference does it make what kind of music they play in the months before the sale is completed? Just let the existing music library grind away and keep its fans happy for a while longer.

Why do stations put placeholder formats on the air under circumstances like this rather than let the existing format go on autopilot? I mean, if only Godcasters have the money to buy up orphaned stations like this, what difference does it make what kind of music they play in the months before the sale is completed? Just let the existing music library grind away and keep its fans happy for a while longer.
In this case, there IS no "existing music library." When Stolz went bankrupt, the CHR format that was being fed to 92.7 from out of the market went away and there was just a transmitter with nothing to feed it. Since then, we've had a period of VCY feeding it by satellite, and then the current interim operation being fed from New Mexico.

The interim operator is there just to try to pump a little revenue into the operation so that the bankruptcy receiver can be paid and the signal can stay on the air to make it more valuable to an eventual buyer. But in this case there's no empty studio or music log or automation system sitting around anywhere just waiting to be reactivated.

I agree the mostly likely flip would be KREV 92.7 (Hip Hop) in a few months once VCY America buys and takes control if the station after the October auction for ownership. I believe there was a term used by the bankruptcy judge labeled that VCY will be "served as the so-called stalking horse" according from the website insideradio.com

In this case, there IS no "existing music library." When Stolz went bankrupt, the CHR format that was being fed to 92.7 from out of the market went away and there was just a transmitter with nothing to feed it. Since then, we've had a period of VCY feeding it by satellite, and then the current interim operation being fed from New Mexico.

The interim operator is there just to try to pump a little revenue into the operation so that the bankruptcy receiver can be paid and the signal can stay on the air to make it more valuable to an eventual buyer. But in this case there's no empty studio or music log or automation system sitting around anywhere just waiting to be reactivated.
So...is there any kind of local studio or office now? Last I knew, there was an office in Oakland, but that's old information. Or is it just an Ethernet cable plugged into the transmitter?

Back
Top Bottom