• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ethics in Radio?

This is an off-shoot of some off-topic comments in the Mark Davis thread...

Posters were discussing the ethics of "ringers" or staged callers, such as on the Huckabee show. I personally have no problem with them, but I really have to laugh at the "moral dilemma" this poses for some of the posters. THERE'S NO RULES IN RADIO!!
I love radio, but it is the sleaziest industry I've ever worked in! Think about it, have you ever had to sign an agreement to not take bribes for other jobs? Every station I've ever gotten near a mic on has had me sign Payola/Plugola paperwork! My favorite part is that it's not even illegal to accept payola, you just have to acknowledge "promotional consideration" It's beautiful!

Phil Hendrie had ringers on his show as well, but he also let you know ahead of time it was all an act and 99.9% lived in his head..When it comes to a "serious show" like Huckabee (I say this while controlling my laughter), it crosses over the lines of acceptable practices and ethics in my book..

dfwupallnight said:
Posters were discussing the ethics of "ringers" or staged callers, such as on the Huckabee show. I personally have no problem with them, but I really have to laugh at the "moral dilemma" this poses for some of the posters. THERE'S NO RULES IN RADIO!!

Just because something is not illegal or there are no formal industry rules or customs expressly prohibiting certain behavior does not mean that it is, therefore, exempt from valid ethical scrutiny and judgment on the part of audiences, advertisers or anybody else who chooses to take an interest in the subject.

Any action you take and any behavior you engage in is fair game for others to use as a basis for forming conclusions about your character and integrity and whether you are worthy of inclusion in some aspect of their lives or business dealings. The same holds true for business organizations. (The fact that some people form conclusions which are hasty or inaccurate, unfair, unjust or irrational does not change the fact that it is necessary to form such conclusions so that you can be careful and responsible in terms of who you choose to associate with). Radio personalities and broadcast companies are not somehow exempt from this.

I love radio, but it is the sleaziest industry I've ever worked in!

Sorry to have to point this out - but you just made an ethical judgment.

A person or organization that is "sleazy" is, by definition, of questionable and shoddy character. If it is true that the radio industry is in some way sleazy (I don't believe that to be the case), then just because a certain type of sleazy behavior is commonly accepted industry practice, that does not somehow exempt it from being properly regarded as subject of ethical judgment.

Of course, if you are going to make judgments and express them to others, you have a responsibility to do so in a careful, fact based and fair manner. If you go off spouting hastily formed or unfair judgments then it is your credibility and your character that is now properly open to question.

If you are in business or are engaged in any form of communications, your two most valuable assets over the long term are your reputation and your credibility. To engage in behavior that will lead to either being, in some way, tarnished, will, in the long run, work against you. Yes, you may be able to "get away with" sleazy behavior in the short-term. But if such behavior becomes a pattern it will catch up with you over the long-term because it will become increasingly difficult to find people who are willing to take you seriously or who wish to have anything to do with you. And if you engage in such behavior it is very difficult for it NOT to become a pattern. "Getting away with" such so-called "shortcuts" in life only makes the temptation to do so again that much greater next time you find yourself in a bind or when such an opportunity presents itself. Pretty soon, that becomes the only way you know how to make a living and support your lifestyle. The short-term "solution" that such behavior provides prevents one from learning the skills and earning the reputation necessary for legitimate success in the long run.

Now, getting back to planted calls. Yes, a planted call, by its very nature, involves a certain amount of deception. But the ethical propriety of such deception entirely depends on what the radio program is seeking to accomplish through it.

To a very large degree, radio is theater. Fans of pre-television old time radio often refer to it as "theater of the mind." Those who are good at radio are good at painting and planting illusions in the minds of listeners - illusions that, if done right, can be far more powerful and "real" to the listener than a visual medium such as television is capable of. Very often, if you really want to pick things apart, one can say that creating such illusions involves a certain degree of intentional deception. But, as mere theater, it is harmless. When a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat, there is a certain form of deception involved. But such deception is the very value that the audience seeks by watching the performance in the first place.

But such deception becomes a problem when one seeks to fake reality in order to obtain something from others that is unearned.

In the case of the Huckabee show deception, Cumulus, as part of its efforts to promote the show, has been peddling the notion that there is a widespread anti-Rush Limbaugh sentiment in Rush's audience and that there is a large, previously untapped demand for "non-strident" right of center talk radio. This is what they have been putting forth to sign up affiliates and have been saying to the press in order to drum up listener interest. While I think some of their potshots against Limbaugh have been inaccurate and unjust, there is certainly nothing wrong with them attempting to make a case that there is a demand for wishy washy (i.e., 'non-strident") milquetoast talk radio. That is called marketing and is entirely legitimate. But if the basis for such marketing consists of intentionally used false information, then it is an ethical issue - and, after a certain point, it becomes fraudulent.

The reason the Huckabee call was unethical is because the whole purpose was to hoodwink listeners, affiliates, advertisers and the media into giving Cumulus's marketing claims a certain veracity and credibility that it did not legitimately earn. What Cumulus did is absolutely no different from an ethical standpoint than some business owner posting fake online reviews praising his company and products. And, in both cases, when such behavior is caught, the organization's credibility and reputation is deservedly tarnished.

Should Cumulus or Huckabee be punished for it? No, if by punish one means any sort of legal or FCC consequences. But it should be regarded by stations, advertisers and listeners as a stain on Cumulus's and the program's reputation and credibility. It opens up the question as to what other forms of deceptive behavior Cumulus might have perhaps engaged in when promoting the program. After all, it is now a matter of public record that they have shown that they are willing to engage in such behavior.

As for Huckabee, while he may or may not have been responsible for the call and may or may not have been in a position to refuse to participate, his credibility takes a hit too. People tune in to talk programing to be entertained - but they also tune in to stay informed and to hear the host's particular point of view on the issues of the day. Listeners expect an opinion show host to be opinionated and to even have certain biases. But people expect the host to sincerely believe in the opinions he puts forth. I don't know anybody who enjoys discovering that they have, in some way, been hoodwinked. I have my own definite political views - but if I discover a talk show host attempting to put forth views that I agree with on the basis of deceptive or false information, that host immediately loses all credibility in my eyes and I want nothing to do with him at all as a spokesperson for my cause. I do not need to resort to deception in order argue a case for my views - and those who do tarnish the things I stand for. And since I value the truth as well as my own reputation and credibility, I do not wish to inadvertently accept falsehoods such a host might put forth as being the truth.

Credibility of the host tends to be a very important issue for a great many people on the political Right who turn to talk radio and alternative media in the first place because they feel that the mainstream media is constantly pushing a hidden agenda and that such media often views them as school children in need of indoctrination. In other words, people on the Right hold a very deep level of skepticism of media outlets in general. They may be inclined to give someone who purports to be on the same side a certain amount of benefit of the doubt. But if they are given reason to doubt the person's sincerity, trust me, they will turn on them - and fast.

Now, I don't mean to suggest that the Huckabee call, in and of itself, is going to doom the program or necessarily be a big deal in the long run. But it has received a certain amount of attention in Right oriented media - and it is something that can be readily accessed and come back to haunt him if future events raise enough questions regarding his credibility to justify it. In the long run, the audience will determine if it was just an unfortunate error in judgment or part of a wider pattern of concern.

I will add this regarding Huckabee in particular: the man is an ordained preacher and has functioned as such professionally. In other words, whether you agree with his religious views or not, he has put himself forth as a person for those who are seeking moral and ethical guidance to turn to and has agreed to live a life that sets a moral example for others to follow. That means he has intentionally placed himself in a position where he should properly be held to a higher standard of conduct and scrutiny than some ordinary "long haired, dope smoking, maggot infested, good-time rock 'n roll plastic banana FM type" (to use Rush's memorable phrase) who eventually discovered he was a conservative and had a flair and talent for talk radio.

There would have been nothing at all wrong with a Cumulus executive calling in as the first caller had he identified himself. As it was done, the audience was misled, which is supposed to be prohibited by the FCC.

Huckabee, a pastor, is also a liar. His disgraceful "repeal healthcare" ads have him saying:

"In locked rooms in the middle of the night Obamacare was passed and rammed down the throat of the American people. It’s time the people’s voice be heard"

http://youtu.be/FnMJXOQ0n2Q

“Obamacare” wasn’t passed in the middle of the night behind locked doors and was not “rammed down the throat of the American people.” The law was introduced in 2009 and passed after the usual committee meetings and usual work done in Congress to pass laws. For over a year, daily updates to the proposed law were posted on the web for all to see.

Here is the story behind the company Huckabee represented in those ads

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/12/27/136576/huckabee-scam-artist/

dfwupallnight said:
My favorite part is that it's not even illegal to accept payola, you just have to acknowledge "promotional consideration" It's beautiful!

Taking payola or plugola is illegal because, by definition, it is done without the consent of management... it's like stealing a computer or office supplies. It's also taxable income, and a violation of the law if not reported to the IRS.

It's also a violation of FCC rules because it is advertising without the FCC required sponsor identification and a licensee who allows the practice to happen is derelict in the conduct of its duties and could be considered an unfit licensee. That is where the affidavits and signed statements come in.

The same reason we've had National Enquirer, The Star & Midnight Globe for decades. Replace celebrities with politicians, wrap it in a slick new package & call it News Corp.

Rupert knows (as he counts his billions) that people just want to hear gossip trash instead of news.

Same business model being followed by radio, not really rocket science...

Mark Davis has a new posting on his blog about how Cumulus is exploiting the Rush boycott as a means of promoting its Huckabee broadcast:

See: http://markdavisshow.typepad.com/ma...v/2012/05/cumulus-and-the-rush-boycott-1.html

I added my own take on it in the blog's comments which I will reproduce below:

Mark - thank you for saying this. Somebody needs to say it.

What Cumulus did to you is just penny wise/pound foolish stupidity. But their playing tag team with Media Matters falls into an entirely different category. Media Matters exists for one purpose: to silence dissenting viewpoints by any and all means necessary. And yet the very foundation of radio and all other forms of media and the careers of everybody who works in media rests upon freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Cumulus is willing to sell their freedom and everybody else's along with it just because doing so will knock out a larger and more prestigious competitor. This goes beyond being an example of mere stupidity and short-term thinking - it is morally reprehensible.

Cumulus is no different than certain large corporations which cynically supported Obamacare knowing that, even though it would have a negative effect on them, the regulations would most likely bankrupt their competitors thus enabling them to pick up market share. It is the same short-term mentality that led Italian industrialists of the '20s who knew full well that Mussolini was the devil to, nevertheless, finance his party's rise to power on the premise that, at the end of the day, they could manipulate him and cut a deal with him. But, as they eventually found out through the destruction of the Italian economy and the blood of their fellow countrymen, if you cut a deal with the devil, at the end of the day, the devil always has the upper hand.

I wish you success at whatever you do next. And please keep speaking out about about Cumulus's betrayal of its own industry and of our freedoms whenever something substantive needs to be said.

Every last bit of my complaints regarding ethics and, quite frankly, my reporting has been reserved to TV in the past (and recent present).

I've dabbled in the sweet auditory science and will cut a brutha a break.

But screw the bubble-heads on the boob tube at 5, 6 and 10 who suck your tweets and report them as their own.

CumeLess is the lowest of the lows when it comes to being a bad broadcaster overall. Dallas might be slightly better, but in most markets they are quickly becoming the laughing stock of the market. If this is what the Dickeys intend to make their properties into, they are well on the way to getting there, quickly.

In OKC the ethics of the former Citadel group was already very questionable. Now that they are part of CumeLess they are even worse and certainly less organized. The rats are starting to run off the boat...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom