• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ESPN 98.7 is simulcast on 1050 am

• Thread starter Joylovepulse967
  • Start date
1050 AM is carrying the national feed of ESPN Radio. It will not simulcast the local programming that is specific to 98.7 FM in NYC.

1050 AM will also continue to carry Mets baseball in Spanish through the end of this season, to satisfy a contractual obligation.

1050 AM is carrying the national feed of ESPN Radio. It will not simulcast the local programming that is specific to 98.7 FM in NYC.

1050 AM will also continue to carry Mets baseball in Spanish through the end of this season, to satisfy a contractual obligation.

It carried the Gordon Damer show this morning from 5am to 6am which is not on the national feed and it was carrying a Spanish language sports talk show at 11am today.

Tuned in the station briefly at various times today. The programming remained in Spanish. Some of the commercials though, were in English. So perhaps it is in the process of changing.

From Scott Fybush and fybush.com

In New York City, WEPN (1050) lost its ESPN Deportes sports programming when that network shut down Sunday night; it’s becoming a full-time ESPN Radio network affiliate (alongside its mostly-local FM sister, WEPN-FM 98.7), but it’s also fulfilling some existing contractual commitments, so Spanish-language Mets broadcasts and some local programming in Spanish continue for now, while listeners are also hearing some WEPN-FM simulcasts on AM.

1050 AM is apparently still broadcasting Spanish programming from morning till night. The only show I heard in English was the one that is on overnight. And that was a simulcast of WEPN FM.
If the station had formerly been mostly broadcasting a now defunct Spanish language sports network, and intends to transition to programming in English, why would they still be in Spanish virtually all the time?

1050 AM is apparently still broadcasting Spanish programming from morning till night. The only show I heard in English was the one that is on overnight. And that was a simulcast of WEPN FM.
If the station had formerly been mostly broadcasting a now defunct Spanish language sports network, and intends to transition to programming in English, why would they still be in Spanish virtually all the time?

Did you not read my post just above? It has contractual obligations to fulfill... so some mets games and local programs will be in spanish

Sounds more like they were making their money on brokered programming with the Deportes network filling the gaps as opposed to broadcasting the Deportes network with a few brokered shows...

Sounds more like they were making their money on brokered programming with the Deportes network filling the gaps as opposed to broadcasting the Deportes network with a few brokered shows...

However, the station is owned by Disney and ESPN, so they will likely switch to ESPN Radio as soon a their obligations run out.

So the vast majority of their programming consists of brokered sports programming in Spanish? That's niche programming in the extreme.
Perhaps despite reports they will switch to an English language sports feed, they'll just stay with this, if it's profitable.

They had some local sports shows under contract for co-production. Likely they needed greater notice to cancel them. And the commitment for play by play included pre and post game shows, which may have to be done until the end of the season unless an alternate station is found.

ESPN's Spanish net always allowed for stations to insert local shows, teams and features. The whole concept was about branding ESPN, as none of those affiliates aver got beyond the 0.2 to 0.3 range with the networked shows.

I noticed that WEPN's audio on 1050 AM is 20 seconds ahead of 98.7 FM. WEPN-FM hasn't transmitted HD Radio (which requires an 8 second delay) in years, so why would there be such a long delay on the FM side?

So far today 1050 is all national programming. We will see what happens at 3PM. I like having another option for sports talk.

The Will Cain Show is on 1050 AM. In fact, Will Cain welcomed ESPN New York 1050 AM, his show's newest affiilate, just a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. I thought they might carry Michael Kay because his ratings race with Francesa is so tight but I guess they figure the effect of the AM station is negligible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom