• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Equity Atlantic City To iHeart

I noticed that the ‘MID stream is offline, so I’ll check both signals in a bit. And I know this isn’t saying much for iHeart but wow those new websites look fresh. Any thoughts on the new Buzz logo?

What a way to start my Wednesday. for sure.

Considering the 104.1 translator leans more on the ‘classic’ side, I doubt it. They already played Queens of the Stone Age, and Evanescence.
Gotta take my Metamucil after saying this... but Evanescence and Queens of the Stone Age can kinda qualify as Classic Rock at this point. "Bring Me To Live" and "No One Knows" are both 20+ years old now.

Gotta take my Metamucil after saying this... but Evanescence and Queens of the Stone Age can kinda qualify as Classic Rock at this point. "Bring Me To Live" and "No One Knows" are both 20+ years old now.

Nope, not classic rock

QOTSA are alt rock or classic alternative.

Evanescence is alt gold.

If you played these on a cookie cutter classic rock station, there'd be a little disgust and revolt

(I asked a friend in radio whos a little more in tune with the alt rock stuff for confirmation of what i thought)

Nope, not classic rock

QOTSA are alt rock or classic alternative.

Evanescence is alt gold.

If you played these on a cookie cutter classic rock station, there'd be a little disgust and revolt

(I asked a friend in radio whos a little more in tune with the alt rock stuff for confirmation of what i thought)
It doesn't matter what they charted before, or what format they were on when they initially came out. If it tests well with the target audience of the station and format, then it's going to get played.

It doesn't matter what they charted before, or what format they were on when they initially came out. If it tests well with the target audience of the station and format, then it's going to get played.
Yep, research companies that do tests for stations always word the instructions to participants so that it is clear that they should score each song on "how much you'd like to hear that song on the radio today!"

iHeart hires two people from the former Equity Communications:
Shannon Wray-Norris as SVP/Programming and Phil Nappen as SVP/Sales:

Yep. Leave it to iHeart to come in and ruin everything good about local radio.
Was the Weekend Boombox locally produced, or piped in like almost everything else from the Equity cluster?

So far, it seems like iHeart has kept the few local talent that were on the stations, plus brought in some people from the Equity cluster for SVP of Programming and SVP of Sales.

Looking at WZXL's playlist over the past day, they're basically "newer" classic rock. Lots of 80's/90's with a couple early 2000's tracks mixed in, but not a single current over the past day. Looks a lot like WZZO/Allentown.

That's a shame, because there are a handful of really good current AOR tracks, including a bunch of heritage bands, that'd work here, even at one per hour just to keep things a little fresh.

Rolling Stones "Angry" / "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"
U2 "Atomic City"
Jelly Roll "Need A Favor"
Smashing Pumpkins "Beguiled"
Dirty Honey "Won't Take Me Alive"
Metallica "Too Far Gone"
Foo Fighters "Under You" / "Rescued"

All of these rock stations falling back entirely on their library cuts are just making things harder for themselves down the road when the tracks are burnt out and there's fewer "new" ones to rotate in.

Looking at WZXL's playlist over the past day, they're basically "newer" classic rock. Lots of 80's/90's with a couple early 2000's tracks mixed in, but not a single current over the past day. Looks a lot like WZZO/Allentown.

That's a shame, because there are a handful of really good current AOR tracks, including a bunch of heritage bands, that'd work here, even at one per hour just to keep things a little fresh.

U2 "Atomic City"
Metallica "Too Far Gone"

All of these rock stations falling back entirely on their library cuts are just making things harder for themselves down the road when the tracks are burnt out and there's fewer "new" ones to rotate in.

103.7 WMGM exists for any newer rock, and it seems like iHeart wanted to freshen up WZXL without going head to head with the big-signaled active rocker WMGM

U2 "Atomic City"
Metallica "Too Far Gone"

Both of those stations (ZZO & ZXL) used to have more of a "heritage rock" style presentation (mostly classic rock with some newer songs thrown in here & there - in modern terms, think more Dirty Honey & Greta Van Fleet, less Motionless In White & Asking Alexandria). But it seems that at some point along the way they went all or nearly all classic rock. Not sure about about the Allentown area, but the South Jersey airwaves are pretty well covered if you're a rock fan, with ZXL being more classic oriented (the relatively more modern approach must be new - last time I listened, they were playing tons of Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac & Steve Miller Band), WMGM doing more current-based Active Rock, and WJSE doing a very good job with their Alternative format since they became Planet 106.3.

iHeart's "premium choice" formats (now known as "iHeart Custom") actually include three different classic rock offerings- 70's, 80's and 90's. Given the lack of currents and the inclusion of Evanescence, WZXL is probably running the Classic Rock 90's logs

Back
Top Bottom