• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Emmis Broadcasting

I wanted to ask everyone on here....Is Emmis trying to exit the radio business? I read that they are selling their Indianapolis stations.

Smulyan has been very honest and direct: They're getting out of radio:

They still own a few stations in NY, and they'll address them when the LMAs are up.
Looks like it's the end of the line for Emmis....They were a great company. I guess Smulyan wants to focus on other Emmis brands

The Insideradio article mentions that Emmis will probably hold on WEPN 98.7 till at least 2024, because they continue to lease it to Good Karma under a LMA that extends for a couple more years, It also reaffirms that they are trying to sell WLIB 1190 AM. As the owner of WABC has indicated he wants to buy a station for a nostalgia music format, maybe he'll pick it up?

The Insideradio article mentions that Emmis will probably hold on WEPN 98.7 till at least 2024, because they continue to lease it to Good Karma under a LMA that extends for a couple more years, It also reaffirms that they are trying to sell WLIB 1190 AM. As the owner of WABC has indicated he wants to buy a station for a nostalgia music format, maybe he'll pick it up?
I have reason to believe that the new Latino Media Network backed by Soros is engaged in negotiations for a "bunch" of stations like WLIB.

It appears that they want to have progressive talk voices for both the Hispanic and Black communities and/or for the English Dominant and Spanish Dominant Hispanic communities. So, they are looking for two stations in each market in the top Hispanic markets.

I have reason to believe that the new Latino Media Network backed by Soros is engaged in negotiations for a "bunch" of stations like WLIB.

It appears that they want to have progressive talk voices for both the Hispanic and Black communities and/or for the English Dominant and Spanish Dominant Hispanic communities. So, they are looking for two stations in each market in the top Hispanic markets.
That’s interesting. Might they use some of the FMs they recently picked up for that? For instance LMN is buying both an AM and FM in DFW from Univision.

That’s interesting. Might they use some of the FMs they recently picked up for that? For instance LMN is buying both an AM and FM in DFW from Univision.
That FM is about as useful as a surfboard in Prudhoe Bay.

In Fresno, they got two three FMs. In the LRGV they got 2 FMs and a 50 kw AM.

Who will but WBLS and Hot 97? Let's hope new owners won't change their formats, they are iconic stations in NYC. Do you think 98.7 will become another format if brought? Could the current companies operating the LMA with Emmis buy the stations outright or is that not allowed?

Who will but WBLS and Hot 97? Let's hope new owners won't change their formats, they are iconic stations in NYC. Do you think 98.7 will become another format if brought? Could the current companies operating the LMA with Emmis buy the stations outright or is that not allowed?
Emmis sold them a while back. They are now owned by MediaCo. Emmis is a stakeholder in the company, but they do not own Hot or BLS. The only stations Emmis still owns are WEPN and WLIB.

I personally find it doubtful that GKB will end up retaining 98.7 after the current lease runs its course. Much more likely it ends up going to MediaCo (or whatever successor or acquirer ends up with those assets in 2 or 3 years) or SBS.

I personally find it doubtful that GKB will end up retaining 98.7 after the current lease runs its course. Much more likely it ends up going to MediaCo (or whatever successor or acquirer ends up with those assets in 2 or 3 years) or SBS.

On the other hand, they just bought a bunch of ESPN's AMs around the country, so they now have some assets to base a solid bid for this license. It really benefits ESPN to have a station in New York. By the same token, it's also very easy for Emmis to simply extend the LMA for two more years. Or sell it to MediaCo, who continues the LMA with Good Karma.

Of the recent acquisitions by Good Karma, I'd wager 98.7 in New York is probably the most profitable. It's actually got decent ratings. And unlike WMVP in Chicago and KSPN in LA, it doesn't have Disney selling the transmitter out from under them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom