• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EMF CEO resigns

EMF has still done some pretty notable acquisitions in the past year. They bought (the former) WTSS Buffalo and (the former) WLFP Memphis, the Houston rimshot from Cox, the SC cluster from Salem, as well as the Salem stations in Nashville (which they needed), and Honolulu. But I think we will see a slower pace of expansion from them going forward as their footprint gets closer to being built out.
Guess the question is; what is considered "built-out"? Is there really a formula for maximized nationwide coverage to maximize donations, or is it more random based on market verses property that is on the market?

It's all coverage. In the Chicago area, they have 4 signals for K-LOVE, several of them fill coverage gaps between the signals. Same deal with Air1.

They want to reach as much of the country as possible.

In past years, Air1 would go on if there was already a non profit CCM station in that market. Mike Novak was quoted somewhere saying they didn't want to compete with them, but compliment them since they have slightly different formats. That's not seemingly happening anymore since they recently put K-LOVE on in Houston.

Last edited:
It's all coverage. In the Chicago area, they have 4 signals for K-LOVE, several of them fill coverage gaps between the signals. Same deal with Air1.

They want to reach as much of the country as possible.
I get that, but is there actually a formula, or just a seizing of opportunities as they come up?

In the current marketplace, I applaud him for having the courage to use his freedom of speech to say exactly what he wanted to say. I don't think he meant that women should never have careers, but that it is of equal value to be a stay-at-home mom, raising a family and helping to raise good children.

thats not what he said or implied

and now its coming out that hes.. erm, probably at least partially in the closet

Seems to me Ramsey has been in the area for at least 30 years.
Ramsey has always worked from Nashville. But he only built the Ramsey Solutions Headquarters off I-65 in Franklin a few years ago.

He must have 100+ people working there. Radio shows (not just his own), You Tube, books, podcasts, courses, even a few phone apps.

I get that, but is there actually a formula, or just a seizing of opportunities as they come up?

If it makes sense. They do it. A lot of times station owners need to dump a signal and EMF is a willing buyer a lot of the time. If it will boost their coverage, or allow them to expand by adding Air1 in the market, they'll buy it. But they won't pay more than a certain amount. That's how it's been for as long as I can remember.

Alpha Media needed to dump off what is now WAWY a few years ago. EMF bought it and put Air1 on. It fills a coverage gap in that part of the market. The original K-LOVE station (Now Air1) used to be in the same area but was able to go closer to Chicago proper, thus there is no longer strong coverage from WAWE in that area. Buying what is now WAWY allowed them to fill that coverage area.

They frequently mention the other signal in the legal IDs. WAWE for example "94.3 WAWE Glendale Heights-Chicago, 103.9 Elgin-Barrington" and "103.9 WAWY Dundee-Elgin, 94.3 Chicago" That's for people who might be driving.

Chicago was one of their earliest major markets. They came to town in 2001 by leasing what was then 94.3 WJKL in Elgin. They bought the station a few years later. Air1 popped up on small signals and translators, one was WCLR in Arlington Heights. There was a college station in that area that did not operate on the weekends. They ran Air1 on that frequency Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. There was also WSRI in Sugar Grove. Small signal that reached Aurora. Still there.

WJKL went to Air1 after they bought The Loop. WAIW in Wheaton (Another former College signal) flipped to K-LOVE Classics because 94.3 was in the same area.

If you look at the signals in any given area, their coverage areas, who they are competing with, and what is on them, it makes sense.

Last edited:
They also LMA signals, HD channels and translators out. They recently leased out 88.3 WLXK right outside of my market to a teaching network called The Truth network since they now have WKVG K-LOVE covering that area much better, as well as Air1.

Here in the southwest, EMF competes with Radio Training Network and has for quite some time. They may not say “compete“, but they’re competing for donations.

They also LMA signals, HD channels and translators out. They recently leased out 88.3 WLXK right outside of my market to a teaching network called The Truth network since they now have WKVG K-LOVE covering that area much better, as well as Air1.

Here in the southwest, EMF competes with Radio Training Network and has for quite some time. They may not say “compete“, but they’re competing for donations.

I believe they would have said compliment a few years ago. Radio Training Network has preaching and talk blocks in some hours. K-LOVE and Air1 are all music. Basically giving people an option for all music. That said they are competing for donations if the stations are nonprofit.

And yes, they did have a "New station" fund and probably still do. Basically some donations that they didn't need to pay the bills and fund the operations were used for new stations. On the pledge drives, they always say "Somebody before you gave so you could listen" and "We grew from one station to all across the country because of people who give"

Mike Novak was seemingly more heavily involved when he was CEO. At the end of pledge drives, he would come in and thank everybody and pray on the air. None of the CEOs since have done this. It might be because he had a radio background and was working afternoons on the network before he was CEO. He wasn't just brought in from another industry. A lot of their growth was during his time as CEO. I'm thinking if they find a replacement CEO, it might help to have someone with experience in Christian radio if that is what they want to continue doing.

Last edited:
Tennessee has no state income tax. Moving from Indiana less snow to shovel too. Last time I checked cost of living a lot less in Tennessee than California too.
That is the biggest issue for many companies that have no need to be specifically in California.

There is a proposition in my county to raise sales tax to 10%, and that is on top of enormous state income taxes and the high cost of living. The conversation that I hear the most is about "which other state is better".

So I can see EMF moving to a lower cost area and one where most people are "just like them".

That is the biggest issue for many companies that have no need to be specifically in California.

It depends. The companies that were built in California couldn't have been built anywhere else. There's a collaborative culture that exists in California that doesn't exist in lots of other places. One of the comparisons I make is between the California tech companies and the ones around the Boston area. Both very successful, each with very different cultures. Picking those companies up and moving them to different states means changing cultures. Maybe not so much for EMF, since their culture is all based on religion. But these other companies are assuming they'll have the same infrastructure to work with, and they realize some of these states don't invest in infrastructure or traditional state services because they're trying to keep taxes low. So health care isn't as good, education isn't as good, roads & sewers aren't as good. The money you save in taxes, you pay in other ways.

It depends. The companies that were built in California couldn't have been built anywhere else. There's a collaborative culture that exists in California that doesn't exist in lots of other places. One of the comparisons I make is between the California tech companies and the ones around the Boston area. Both very successful, each with very different cultures. Picking those companies up and moving them to different states means changing cultures.
That applies to certain industries or professions. Movies/Entertainment and certain areas of technology depend on a concentration of mutually helpful companies and services as well as specialized courses in universities and legislation that favors them.

Similarly, transportation companies like UPS and FedEx need locations that are appropriate for hub activities, so they are located elsewhere. Each industry or occupation is a bit different.

Just look at how investment banks are discovering that South Florida works just as well as Manhattan for their enterprise. Technology made that possible, and Mid-Town commercial ocupacionales are at the lowest level in recent history.
Maybe not so much for EMF, since their culture is all based on religion. But these other companies are assuming they'll have the same infrastructure to work with, and they realize some of these states don't invest in infrastructure or traditional state services because they're trying to keep taxes low. So health care isn't as good, education isn't as good, roads & sewers aren't as good. The money you save in taxes, you pay in other ways.
You can't find a higher combination of taxes than California, but we find much lower taxed Arizona to have better education, comparable health care and better roads and better policing of those roads. Of course, a lot of this involves the color of the lens we look at things through. But in our case, we have been more seriously considering every day that goes by moving to Monterrey (with two r's).

What we are seeing is a huge middle class squeeze. The very prosperous do well, and so do those who depend on tax-financed subsidies and benefits. But the rest are finding the cost of everything too high to have an enjoyable lifestyle.

Last edited:
Yes I hear that about Arizona. Not so much about Louisiana or Mississippi.
You just named the two states that show up at or near dead last in every evaluation. Close to Alabama and Arkansas, too. There seems to be a pattern there.

You can't find a higher combination of taxes than California, but we find much lower taxed Arizona to have better education, comparable health care and better roads and better policing of those roads. Of course, a lot of this involves the color of the lens we look at things through. But in our case, we have been more seriously considering every day that goes by moving to Monterrey (with two r's).
Don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out.

Every state has pros and cons(Weather, Taxes, Traffic, etc...). Some of the Southern states mentioned above have infrastructure like Medieval Europe. Jackson Mississippi can't even provide safe drinking water. As you said, EMF may find more "People Like Them" in the South. That won't guarantee more donations if those folks are living at the poverty line...

You just named the two states that show up at or near dead last in every evaluation. Close to Alabama and Arkansas, too. There seems to be a pattern there.
There's a podcast guy on Youtube named "Briggs" who does very interesting work with statistics on subjects like this - comparisons of geographic and economic areas of the country. The Deep South and some Rust Belt states never do well on these surveys.

Every state has pros and cons(Weather, Taxes, Traffic, etc...). Some of the Southern states mentioned above have infrastructure like Medieval Europe. Jackson Mississippi can't even provide safe drinking water. As you said, EMF may find more "People Like Them" in the South. That won't guarantee more donations if those folks are living at the poverty line...
EMF's audience is national, not regional. It's doubtful that a move to the Nashville area will have an effect on donations at all.

A lot of people are living below the poverty line in blue states as well as red states. There's poverty and inflation everywhere.

In the internet age, physical location doesn't matter as much as it did 35 years ago. But if you have your headquarters in a highly taxed state, businesses often respond by leaving.

I don't mind so much paying taxes as long as I get services in return for them. That's the part of the equation that was breaking down for us: ever-increasing taxes, especially local taxes, even as municipal services deteriorated. But the primary driver of our move to Colorado was concern over wildfires and earthquakes, as well as wanting to live in a more walkable neighborhood and better access to airline travel. The only things I've had difficulty adjusting to here are the utter and absolute obsession with college and professional sports and the lack of a credible and creditable all-news radio station.

As far as "people like them" California has a lot of them. My sister lived near Redding awhile back. City is very much revolved around Bethel Church. That one is a bit controversial but they produce a lot of music that gets airplay on both networks.

Calvary Chapel is still based in California.

TBN is still based in California

Bayside Church is still in California.

A lot of California away from the coast is quite Conservative. That said, being Christian doesn't always mean you're Conservative although a lot of them are. As far as politics, a lot of those artists avoid the subject like the plague. They have listeners on both sides and saying anything would probably alienate half of their fans. Others are more outspoken about the politics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom