• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Elliot in the Morning on ALT 92.3

Scott Lowe is boring. Where did they find that guy?

I agree that more of the music on his show should receive regular airplay.

I believe the only time any of the formats that have been on 92.3 were really successful, was back when Howard Stern held down mornings on K-Rock.

Ratings keep going down and continue to go down. Not sure what else they can do. A name change?
The new PD/Brand Manager (Brad Steiner) only just took over, they're going to give him time to right the ship. WNYL was the Alt station driven into the ground the longest by the previous manager, who apparently defied the research according to some of the jocks who departed the station. Presumably Steiner has no intention of ignoring the research but it will definitely take a while to restore WNYL's fortunes. Audacy just has to give him time.

There is no other option for WNYL right now. What are they going to do, flip it to country?

Maybe to go after WFUV with a more AAA friendly approach, like what they do in Chicago with XRT.
Because the more melodic music you add, the more music you add that reminds boomers and early Gen Xers of "their music," be it old school rock, soul or folk, the more 55+, advertiser-repellent listeners you attract. Play Nathaniel Rateliff, a darling of AAA radio, and you definitely run that risk. Today's alt needs an angry, dissonant edge that will drive off dad and granddad for good. Unfortunately, the music today that best appeals to younger listeners is hip-hop, not rock.

The new PD/Brand Manager (Brad Steiner) only just took over, they're going to give him time to right the ship. WNYL was the Alt station driven into the ground the longest by the previous manager, who apparently defied the research according to some of the jocks who departed the station. Presumably Steiner has no intention of ignoring the research but it will definitely take a while to restore WNYL's fortunes. Audacy just has to give him time.

There is no other option for WNYL right now. What are they going to do, flip it to country?
No way! I don't want to lose another alternative station!!! We already lost K-Rock, and WRXP twice!!!!

I think people have to recognize that this is a format that will not get big ratings, at least not in New York.

They can change the music, change the branding, change the morning show, and anything else you can think of.

And chasing after a college station that has half of the audience won't make things better.

I think people have to recognize that this is a format that will not get big ratings, at least not in New York.

They can change the music, change the branding, change the morning show, and anything else you can think of.

And chasing after a college station that has half of the audience won't make things better.
And at the same time there's no real point in flipping, at this time at least. The only real replacement for Alt would be a WINS simulcast, but they're not going to sacrifice the extra revenue of Alt.

Jack did quite well when it was on 101.1. Seems to me it would be more successful on 92.3 than Alt. It could be a mix of classic and newer rock, alt, and pop rock.

That's what Audacy did in San Francisco 6 months ago. The ratings for KITS have not improved.
Not a great comparison. Completely different set of demographics between SF and NYC, and the demographics seem to be a big reason why the station isn’t successful.

There is a chance that product could do well but to me, it would have to be programmed to be more rock leaning, more of a WAXQ competitor, as it otherwise would be cannibalizing WCBS-FM. They may as well stick with what they got honestly.

Not a great comparison. Completely different set of demographics between SF and NYC.

The demographics in San Francisco are different, but they favor a non-rhythmic format. KOSF is running an 80s format that's very similar to adult hits, and it's killing KITS. I think it's more the execution than the demographics. I have no reason to expect more success in NYC, where the demographics are stacked against a non-rhythmic format.

I don't disagree with anything you just wrote, BigA. I only wanted to add that even an all-rhythm format does not necessarily guarantee success, as we've witnessed with 94.7.

A strong morning show would really help 92.3's cause (see 98.7 in L.A.). Elliot gets great numbers in D.C. I am unsure if he can pull off even half as much success in NYC. Time will tell. He needs about a year on the air locally before we can even begin to fairly judge his performance.

I don't disagree with anything you just wrote, BigA. I only wanted to add that even an all-rhythm format does not necessarily guarantee success, as we've witnessed with 94.7.

It gets back to what I said comparing KOSF and KITS: execution. Audacy is having trouble executing formats that aren't already successful. That's obviously why they went outside the company for WNYL's morning show. It's a real skill to launch a new morning show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom