• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

El Vacilón gone from Z-93; Frankie Jay and Alí Warrington

El Vacilón de la Mañana is gone from Z-93. Frankie Jay and Alí Warrington, previously of SalSoul's La Perrera, are taking the morning slot.

http://www.primerahora.com/frankiejaysevaparaz93…¿conaliwarrington?-577735.html

I think it was coming. The show may have fit it in the Luis and Moon era, but not now. It's still a good show, but it's just too Dominican now for the "emisora nacional de la salsa." However, I don't think it should be taken off the Puerto Rican airwaves. It would be a wise move to move it to SBS's sister station, Ritmo 96.5, where the Dominican flavor would be welcome.

Must have been sweet for Frankie Jay, who was fired from El Vacilon a couple of years ago, to replace the show at Z-93.

And great point about moving El Vacilon to Ritmo. I wonder if the folks at SBS-PR have such vision.

Radiofornia said:
Must have been sweet for Frankie Jay, who was fired from El Vacilon a couple of years ago, to replace the show at Z-93.

Well, it definitely helps that he stopped doing his Moonshadow impression! Actually, el Vacilón has improved a lot since him and Juan Carlos decided to be original and stop stealing Luis and Moon's old characters.

But I digress.

And great point about moving El Vacilon to Ritmo. I wonder if the folks at SBS-PR have such vision.

It begs the question though... isn't SBS overcrowding the morning drive a bit? Right now, they have Gangster and Funky Joe at la Mega, Rocky the Kid and Billy Fourquet at Reggaetón 94, and Lilly García, Yan Ruiz and Bizcocho (Alí's dad, by the way) at Estereotempo. They cater to different audiences for sure. But I'm not sure about Frankie and Alí. They seem to have the same kind of audience that el Circo has, the older crowd (even though Gangster and Funky are talented enough on the mike to have mass appeal). I'm not sure how'd they stand out in an already over-radioed market like PR.

And please, will somebody tell Pedro Arroyo to stop playing salsa artist that nobody recognizes? I swear. Half of the "new" salsa songs they play don't even show up on my Soundhound app. I swear, Regional Mexican artists would be more recognizable in the island than these guys. I know salsa is far from its halcyon days... but you don't see SalSoul doing that kind of thing when new music arrives.

Just heard Zeta.

The new show will be called "El Swing."

Funny how they didn't just name the new show "El Vacilón" like they did when they replaced the NY show in Miami. (To be fair, the original Miami show with Enrique y Joe was also callegd "El Vacilón. ") It's no given, but it might be a clue that they might be moving the NY show to Ritmo after all.

Ritmo has a midday and afternoon Jock, but absolutely No morning programming. El Vacilón would fit in with its mostly Dominican target audience.

More promos for "El Swing" are coming out. Frankie Jay and Alí are to begin the show around the end of January.

What baffles me is that these promos are voiced by Héctor Bravo, who's already the voice of Hot 102 (where for the record, he makes sounds that don't exist in any Indo-European language in order to pronounce all those names in English). Don't they belong to different companies?

http://www.primerahora.com/aliwarringtonabandonoafrankiejayenz93yregresoalacadenasalsoul-603114.html

Things just got hairy, people; Alí Warrington unexpectedly came back to La Perrera, leaving Frankie Jay hanging.

Apparently it's due to a no-competition clause with Uno Radio Group.

SBS is now looking for another person to accompany Frankie Jay.

By the way, check out the comments section. People are saying that Frankie's getting a taste of his own medicine, since he did left La X without so much as a peep when SBS offered him a job in New York City...

The new show will be called "El Bembé de Z-93," indeed to star Rony and Frankie together. It will be on mornings 6-10.

I wonder why they didn't just call it "El Vacilón" like they did with El Zol when they switched from the New York show to local. Yes, I realize that Miami already had its own Vacilón. Still it wouldn't be a bad idea to preserve the brand, like they do in LA with "El Vacilón del Mandril." Also, speaking of Dominican flavor, Ritmo now has a morning show as well, with Raul Carbonell Jr. and some professor whose name I forgot. I like to think that they were going to move WSKQ's show there, but with all the changes that came, they decided to stop the syndication.

It's called "Al Ritmo del Pueblo." It would have been a great idea, though, to give the show the original title of!Zeta's show, "El Swing." El Swing con Papo Swing tocando "La Reina del Swing."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom