• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them —

I think he's done. He'd have a hard time getting guests to interview at this point. He'll need to close out the operations of his show, an independent operation. I suspect he'll live out the remainder of his years in seclusion.

Rose could start his own online streaming show. He'd interview all of the "alleged" sexual aggressors. There's a long list. "Tonight on the program we have Genius Hollywood Producer and sometimes misunderstood Harvey Weinstein."

The way PBS works, I'm sure there are lots of options available throughout the system. The advantage Charlie had was it was co-produced by WNET and it came with its own funding. I imagine WNET will be looking for ways to tap into that funding base quickly with a replacement. Charlie's show covered a wide range of topics from politics to entertainment. That takes a special kind of host, but there are quite a few name hosts available in NYC.

Howard Stern ??

Isn't he about 75 now? My thinking is that he was near retirement, anyway.

The only real issue that I see here is that PBS may have some interviews "in the can" which they may not be able to air now. But we will see.

There's a guy in the alley near 52nd street, in a trenchcoat, that has some copies...

The way PBS works, I'm sure there are lots of options available throughout the system. The advantage Charlie had was it was co-produced by WNET and it came with its own funding. I imagine WNET will be looking for ways to tap into that funding base quickly with a replacement. Charlie's show covered a wide range of topics from politics to entertainment. That takes a special kind of host, but there are quite a few name hosts available in NYC.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/

Tavis Smiley is doing a show that's similar to the defunct Charlie Rose show on PBS.
Apparently WNET is funding the show. But Smiley is based in Los Angeles and he's been doing his talk show on PBS since 2004 when KCET was the original producers of Tavis Smiley until KCET lost the PBS affiliation in 2011. Tavis Smiley had to find other affiliates like PBS Socal, WNET and Tavis Smiley's production crew to get the show to remain on PBS affiliates.

He's on the front page of the PBS app on Apple TV.

It's been awhile since I worked in Radio and none of the places had NDA's for employees to sign. Are they prevalent in radio now even in smaller markets?

So when are they going to fire the Managers? Why didn't the on air staff do anything to stop these violations?

If you're talking about the talent over at CBS? They very well may not have known-about, or been involved with Rose's behavior involving support staffers.

Something to keep in mind as a viewer, is those folks you see on camera make up around one tenth of the staff required to put on a show. Very few of the people you see on these news shows personally hang out after hours. By all accounts, it appears that Rose prayed upon younger female staff who were at the time, working toward building their careers. Many of the reports by women who were victimized by Rose, worked for his production company that produced programming where he was the sole talent.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/09/char...883.256176524.1568920348-306191358.1525776068

Now a new allegation comes out on rose 2 years after CBS and PBS ended their contracts with him.

Gina Riggi, a longtime makeup artist for Charlie Rose, who worked with the talk-show host for 22 years on his eponymous PBS show, is suing him and Bloomberg LP, describing “a toxic work environment suffused with sexual harassment and gender-based abuse.” She also accuses Rose of “using the Show as an instrument of his predatory sexual behavior and the Bloomberg studio where he recorded it as a sexual hunting ground.” The makeup room, she writes in the suit, was a “refuge from Mr. Rose,” where young women “often came to her in tears, distraught and visibly shaken.”

Riggi says Rose “targeted young, attractive women just beginning their journalism careers,” promising them internships and jobs, many of which never materialized. The ones who did get jobs, she writes, were subject to harassment. She says Rose was verbally abusive to her on a daily basis, berating her about her weight, and that he frequently swatted away her hand while she worked, and once “forcefully grabbed and twisted her arm, physically hurting her.” The show was canceled in November 2017, after the Washington Post reported that eight women accused him of harassment and assault. The reported tally eventually rose to at least 35 women.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom