• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Educational Media Foundation plans To Move To Nashville

Couple of things to continue this discussion that was never intended to be a discussion about these specific subjects. For the sake of maintaining the radio theme, let’s just say this is a five minute Chamber of Commerce/Tourism commercial:

1.) The population growth I predicted was meant to be more of a joke about all the people moving here and bringing with them 50,000 extra votes without the people. The truth is, I am not sure Nashville metro won’t see this growth of a quarter of a million people in the next 36 months.

2.) Our radio market is now #40 vs being in the mid-40s and I could see it climbing to 35 or 36. I did not think that would be possible a year ago.

3.) Tourism is back over the last three weeks and actually has not reached 50 percent of where it will be in the upcoming weeks as we go into Memorial Day and Fourth of July. It is already truly insane. Many tourists and their families are coming here to plan an eventual move and that snowball will only grow larger. As Ryan said, Nashville and Middle TN is a shockingly wonderful and beautiful area to visit and live.

4.) Houston was always a Boom Town. What is happening here is similar, yet it is being somewhat managed. We have 40ish new skyscrapers on the books (proposed, announced, approved or under construction.) Houses and streets and neighborhoods change daily and the amount of tear downs, remodels and new construction is astonishing. Yet, houses sell for tens and hundreds of thousands above asking prices. Eventually, this boom will change and if we are not careful, we will become just pieces of every other city. THAT is the real issue.

5.) Everyone I meet (and that is currently hundreds a week and talk to them) wants to get away from their own miserable towns, counties or states. In particular, indeed California and Gov Gavin have messed their best. Same for IL, NY, NJ and DC. Most of these people are what most of Nashvillians are. Conservative on being ripped off and over controlled by the “open minded” liberal government types. But, yet, most of the people in Nashville proper and Williamson County tend be hate the stupidity of idiots making rule after rule and law after law that takes more money for no real reason or return. Most of these people don’t have real issues with what another damn person does in their bedroom, who they date/love/marry, where or if they go to church or any of the other personal issues some are continually bringing up. And that, in particular, along with well-educated, diverse and rather friendly and articulate people with DIVERSE backgrounds and beliefs is why so many people dig this place. Until you experience it and see it and LIVE here, you can’t truly appreciate it’s value. And dammit, the morons elected in this state are mostly not from Nashville or Williamson County. There are plenty of “good Christian people who go to church, raise families, pay their taxes and drink local whiskey, bourbon (yes it is made here) and are sick of being narrowcasted as one size fits all. Hell, David, if you actually saw the true population numbers, you would realize you would be just right at home here. And we would love to have you tomorrow because, like so many cool and great people visiting here, the good ones “get it.”

6.) Part of the reason I spent a late Saturday/Sunday writing 10,000 words is I am tired of “old stereotypical rants” by people who bitch and moan about how closed minded this area is. Funny, have any of you seem a post from anyone supporting or reflecting that sentiment that is actually from Davidson or Williamson County? Answer: NO. Sure there are some that fit the profile here. They are everywhere. New York, Connecticut (imagine that,) California and Chicago. Certain posters on here need to look in the mirror and realize differently thinking people live everywhere.

7.) The possible (possible) difference might be that gr8oldies, David E, but probably NOT BigA..
would be invited to my house in this great city for beers and good music and we would all get along just fine. Why? Because, when you live in a fun, exciting vibrant city with so many great people and things to experience, you don’t spend a lot of time drowning in hate, anger or concern for what you really can’t fix unless you unite as a community. And this community is as living, inviting and tolerant as any that I know. Oh, and we also kinda tend to be just redneck enough to not put up with dumbasses that hurt people so those idiots that think they can make it here realize they need to go back to the dumps they helped ruined.

8.) We also kick most cities butts on good live music on every corner, but we haven’t managed to run off the corporate radio stations that don’t get who we are. Now, any help there is possibly appreciated. Fire the first shot, guys. And I DONT mean a gun.

Last edited:
Just the thought that my state and county government, and a substantial part of the population would give me the choice of "die for the economy" or "drop out of society with no support" because their right to spread sickness and death trumps my right to not end up on a ventilator has not set well with me.

Don't they offer full health insurance for every resident?

BigA said “Huh?”

Tibbs 4 says: “I was just giving you grief in that comment, Big A. You really would be first on my invite list. I figured you would know that after all of these years and posts and how I try to be humorous but never really am. Just saying differences don’t really matter among friends in this part of the world. As for gr8oldies, I promise no ribeyes. We can do better than them water soaked fake steaks. BigA... ever been to Waffle House?”

Don't they offer full health insurance for every resident?
Best to just consider the final credits in “Animal House” to explain this one away. What happened to Neidermeyer? I don’t think HEALTH insurance will matter in this case. For those who may never have caught what happened to Neidermeyer, he went on to leave Faber University and the ROTC department and go into the army where he was “killed by his own troops.” (Again, a little attempt at humor to help calm the rhetoric I have again generated. When will I learn?)

Last edited:
Don't they offer full health insurance for every residen
BigA said “Huh?”

Tibbs 4 says: “I was just giving you grief in that comment, Big A. You really would be first on my invite list. I figured you would know that after all of these years and posts and how I try to be humorous but never really am. Just saying differences don’t really matter among friends in this part of the world. As for gr8oldies, I promise no ribeyes. We can do better than them water soaked
My wife and I do want to get to Nashville, maybe we'll take you up on that, Tibbs4!

fake steaks. BigA... ever been to Waffle House?”

I get Tibbs4's rant. I was born in Nashville. I have been in Texas most of my life. Tennessee and Texas both get a bad rap. I recall meeting a girl from Canada. She was shocked by my lack of thick Texas accent. Then she asks about the death penalty Texas has. I told her if a person goes out and takes the life of an innocent person, they get locked up and sometimes they are put to death mainly because if they got out they'd do it again. I said we wouldn't have a death penalty that got used if people just wouldn't go around killing people. She then said that was so barbaric. I asked who was barbaric, the person that killed innocent people or the state that takes the life of the person who took another's life or many lives. Both are barbaric and the state shouldn't play God was her answer. She said she was a little afraid for her safety being in Texas beause so many have guns.

I'm familiar with Nashville. I'm fairly familiar with much of Tennessee. Nashville and the area are unrecognizable if you apply the stereotype. Every place I've been is like that. Stereotypes only live in the people who don't know (including some media)

If you ever watched Why Planes Crash on The Weather Channel, you might have seen the Delta flight that crashed in a thunderstorm downburst. One of the people left work and jumps in his car driving the freeway by the airport. The most country sounding production music is used to imitate the radio playing in his car. I thought that was just what people think of Texas. We all have a drawl when we talk, can't get enough of country, especially the kind that conjures up tumbleweeds and possums just for good measure and is always packing heat and ready to show it off and demonstrate. Of yes, and we all graduated 6th grade before going to work at age 21.

I really don't have a chip on my shoulder. I find the stereotype more humorous than anything. And I love to meet people with that stereotype. It really is true I live in Texas and don't own a pair of boots, don't have any 'western attire' and don't even own a gun. I am not a fan of country music but I do like the country-rock side.

I get Tibbs4's rant. I was born in Nashville. I have been in Texas most of my life. Tennessee and Texas both get a bad rap. I recall meeting a girl from Canada. She was shocked by my lack of thick Texas accent. Then she asks about the death penalty Texas has. I told her if a person goes out and takes the life of an innocent person, they get locked up and sometimes they are put to death mainly because if they got out they'd do it again. I said we wouldn't have a death penalty that got used if people just wouldn't go around killing people. She then said that was so barbaric. I asked who was barbaric, the person that killed innocent people or the state that takes the life of the person who took another's life or many lives. Both are barbaric and the state shouldn't play God was her answer. She said she was a little afraid for her safety being in Texas beause so many have guns.

I'm familiar with Nashville. I'm fairly familiar with much of Tennessee. Nashville and the area are unrecognizable if you apply the stereotype. Every place I've been is like that. Stereotypes only live in the people who don't know (including some media)

If you ever watched Why Planes Crash on The Weather Channel, you might have seen the Delta flight that crashed in a thunderstorm downburst. One of the people left work and jumps in his car driving the freeway by the airport. The most country sounding production music is used to imitate the radio playing in his car. I thought that was just what people think of Texas. We all have a drawl when we talk, can't get enough of country, especially the kind that conjures up tumbleweeds and possums just for good measure and is always packing heat and ready to show it off and demonstrate. Of yes, and we all graduated 6th grade before going to work at age 21.

I really don't have a chip on my shoulder. I find the stereotype more humorous than anything. And I love to meet people with that stereotype. It really is true I live in Texas and don't own a pair of boots, don't have any 'western attire' and don't even own a gun. I am not a fan of country music but I do like the country-rock side.
Understood, and the most surprising thing for me moving to East Tennessee from Ohio was that seemingly, more people talked like me than talked like my Dad, who was born along the Kentucky/Tennessee border.

It seems our state legislatures on Congresspeople are doing their best to live up to the stereotypes though

Always welcome gr8oldies! You like beer or bourbon? What you just said is really honestly the entire issue of America. I mentioned meeting all the people desiring to move to “Nashville” from California. As everything has opened up, literally dozens of people from SoCal, LA or wine country have all said the same thing. The politicians there don’t reflect their beliefs. Yet, they are all liberal on social and conservative on fiscal because they have seen California RUINED by their government. The issue is NOT “we the people.”

As for accents, etc., sure there are plenty of people with them. And cowboy hats. 99 percent of those that I see every day and talk too every day are not from Middle Tennessee. As I have said before (BigA - hehehere we go again) Nashville is the home of country music, but not country people. That is why I rail against three plus country stations. We don’t care.

Always welcome gr8oldies! You like beer or bourbon? What you just said is really honestly the entire issue of America. I mentioned meeting all the people desiring to move to “Nashville” from California. As everything has opened up, literally dozens of people from SoCal, LA or wine country have all said the same thing. The politicians there don’t reflect their beliefs. Yet, they are all liberal on social and conservative on fiscal because they have seen California RUINED by their government. The issue is NOT “we the people.”

As for accents, etc., sure there are plenty of people with them. And cowboy hats. 99 percent of those that I see every day and talk too every day are not from Middle Tennessee. As I have said before (BigA - hehehere we go again) Nashville is the home of country music, but not country people. That is why I rail against three plus country stations. We don’t care.
Who says you need to be country to like country music, especially today's country? I hear Luke Combs' and Chris Young/Kane Brown's current hits at the top of the hour all the time on our country station and the one up in Springfield and they're both full of small-town/rural Southern references that have no relevance to the urban/suburban Southern New England lifestyle at all. They're just fun songs to turn up while driving.

I didn’t intend to say you have to be from the country to like country. There are few stereotypes on that. What needs to be particularly understood by those who also enjoy making themselves feel bigger and better at other’s expense, is the stereotype of the South, small towns and in this case, Nashville itself is that it ain’t what people who ain’t lived here think it is.

Nashville never was country, unless you consider the fact that WSM-AM’s gigantic footprint and promotion of the music and Grand Ole Opry originally was a form of voiced up entertainment to sell products and that has certainly affected dialects.

Don’t disagree that the music you are enjoying today is a cross of various formats from yesteryears that is toe-tapping, fun and loved by the masses. Old school Music Row execs and performers rail on what is NOT country music on the airwaves today. Just the same way their predecessors said the same thing about them.

Probably best way to put it all together is a comment from a Tennessee radio legend who has been a rock and roll jock for nearly four decades, who has recently added a midday shift on his clusters country station. “Classic Rock stars are all dead or close and they aren’t performing much and today’s country stars are what classic rock stars once were.” That is what you are enjoying and what the industry is taking to the bank, right? It is all about entertainment and looks like we are doing a good job!

I'm in Texas and have thought about this a lot, as we have had quite a wave of Californians moving here. I think there is truth in what you are saying. I'm also sympathetic though to the longtime residents of Arizona, Nevada, and to a lesser extent Colorado who have had their state's political makeups change drastically in a short amount of time, undoubtedly from many Californians moving there. One thing worth considering is that not all of the relocations are the same. The recent moves seem more about trying to get away from California and the current leadership and all of the self-inflicted wounds. I suspect this crowd is likely more conservative. Time will tell.

Previous waves appear to be less driven by anger at Sacramento and more about lowering living expenses while still being close (Phoenix/Vegas).

We have the American version of the "Imperial Manila" effect its states like Tennessee, Nevada, Arizona and Texas look at states like California as an Invader/Imperialist and one example is companies in these states are wondering why they have to comply with California's vaccine mandate if their Governor is against it.

Its similar to the Philippines where other provinces talk about Manila getting all the economic benefits and the other provinces are not getting their share of attention type situation.

We have the American version of the "Imperial Manila" effect its states like Tennessee, Nevada, Arizona and Texas look at states like California as an Invader/Imperialist and one example is companies in these states are wondering why they have to comply with California's vaccine mandate if their Governor is against it.

Its similar to the Philippines where other provinces talk about Manila getting all the economic benefits and the other provinces are not getting their share of attention type situation.
While our politicians were pontificating that there will be no vaccine and mask mandates around here, Ford (who we just gave billions in corporate welfare to, reminded the state they have those mandates corporate wide and that is what has kept the company open.

So now, almost a year later, EMF has announced the specific location of its company headquarters:

Construction on the 170,000-square-foot space is scheduled to begin on the 11-acre property in mid-2022. The campus’ six floors will include broadcast facilities, podcast and video production studios, and a worship center.

“Middle Tennessee is the hub for Christian musicians, publishers, filmmakers and industry professionals, making it a great place for us to call ‘home,’” said EMF CEO, Bill Reeves.

“It is incredibly important to us to be somewhere that shares our values,” Reeves explains. “We’re excited to bring our headquarters here. The content we’ll be broadcasting from this community will impact people across the U.S. and around the world.”

More here about Berry Farms:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom