• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Easy listening music services

I asked about this on another board, but I shouldn't have seriously expected an answer there. Schulke was mentioned, and I didn't know anything about it. I did a search when I go no response and found that Schulke was the S in SRP. I did ask at a library once about SRP and was told their collection was taken over by Bonneville. So does Bonneville still distribute to stations? If not, who has their collection and where can we hear it?

What about Drake-Chenault?

What about AEI? They merged with DMX and the Lifestyle service for buisinesses is no longer available. Though DMX has something even better, according to their site. But DirecTV no longer uses it since they have XM.

And what about big satellite dishes, in the days before DirecTV and Dish Network? I read that on the big dishes, you could listen to music. I remember reading that there were, for example, eight easy listening formats or something like that. Where can you listen to these now? Where did Music Choice, XM Escape, and the other services get their music?

vchimpanzee said:
I asked about this on another board, but I shouldn't have seriously expected an answer there. Schulke was mentioned, and I didn't know anything about it. I did a search when I go no response and found that Schulke was the S in SRP. I did ask at a library once about SRP and was told their collection was taken over by Bonneville. So does Bonneville still distribute to stations? If not, who has their collection and where can we hear it?

Bonneville no longer has a syndication division.

The Beautiful Music syndicators in the "golden years" were Shulke (SRP), Bonneville, FM 100 Plan, Kalamusic, Peters Production, RPM, Drake-Chennault, IGM, Churchill and Música en Flor. EZ Communications did in-house production for a number of Beautiful stations it owned; I bought their library in about 1982 when they stopped production and that 20,000 LP library was sold to a Peruvian station when I got out of syndication.

Remember, a lot of the music for these stations was custom produced, and not on vinyl or CD... and covered by usage restrictions, too.

I don't think any of those libraries have survived.

DavidEduardo said:
vchimpanzee said:

The Beautiful Music syndicators in the "golden years" were Shulke (SRP), Bonneville, FM 100 Plan, Kalamusic, Peters Production, RPM, Drake-Chennault, IGM, Churchill and Música en Flor. EZ Communications did in-house production for a number of Beautiful stations it owned; I bought their library in about 1982 when they stopped production and that 20,000 LP library was sold to a Peruvian station when I got out of syndication.

Remember, a lot of the music for these stations was custom produced, and not on vinyl or CD... and covered by usage restrictions, too.

that's a tragedy if it's true.

I was at my aunt's house the other day where I can listen without earphones and no one will be disturbed, and I had a chance to sample traditional Muzak and DMX easy listening. Really nice.

Shortly after my father passed away in 2000, I was on hold with Social Security. I sure would like to know what music they used. It was great. I asked, but you know the government.

Same for Walter drake. I was on hold, I asked, and I never heard back. Both very traditional instrumentals.

DavidEduardo said:
vchimpanzee said:

I have good news. I was doing some research while contributing to Wikipedia, and thanks to this article

http://www.easylisteninghq.com/downloads/syndicator_timeline.pdf

plus some comments on this site, I believe the SRP and Bonneville libraries, and possibly FM-100, are all in the hands of Jones.

vchimpanzee said:
have good news. I was doing some research while contributing to Wikipedia, and thanks to this article

http://www.easylisteninghq.com/downloads/syndicator_timeline.pdf

plus some comments on this site, I believe the SRP and Bonneville libraries, and possibly FM-100, are all in the hands of Jones.

That is interesting news. Of course, so much of the content of Bonneville and SRP was custom music, I would assume that the rights to this were not transferred. Still, that leaves a lot of music on vinyl.

How big was Kalamusic compared to Schulke, etc.? They had two O&O's, WEZV, Ft. Wayne and WQLR, Kalamazoo (one of their selling points to prospective clients was "Kalamusic programs and sells this format on our own stations".) Who produced the "Music for the Two of Us" BM package?

gr8oldies said:
How big was Kalamusic compared to Schulke, etc.? They had two O&O's, WEZV, Ft. Wayne and WQLR, Kalamazoo (one of their selling points to prospective clients was "Kalamusic programs and sells this format on our own stations".) Who produced the "Music for the Two of Us" BM package?

Kala was smaller markets, much smaller than SRP or Bonneville. Peters Productions of San Diego did Music for the Two of Us.

Are there still orchestras recording easy instrumentals? There is a station from New Mexico (KENW-FM) that I listen to which has a easy listening/standards format and it seems they have played instrumental versions of some fairly current pop songs (can't remember now exactly what they were).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom