• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Easy 93.1

I saw on radio-info this morning where Miami's "93 Rock" became "Easy 93.1" over the holiday weekend. I figured it was probably more of the same...today's version of soft AC, Fresh, or mainstream AC, but it's actually classic soft AC a la Tampa's "Dove". Here's the link to their new website:

http://www.easy93.com

Was listening beginning from about 9:50 'til about 10:50 tonight and heard:

John Lennon - Imagine
Simon and Garfunkel - I Am A Rock
Neil Young - Old Man
DelFonics - La La Means I Love You
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Neil Diamond - I Am I Said
Elton John - Circle Of Life
10cc - I'm Not In Love
Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Peter Cetera and Amy Grant - Last Time I Fall
Beach Boys - In My Room
Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway - The Closer I get To You
Sonny and Cher - I Got You Babe
Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again
Paul Davis - I Go Crazy

vchimpanzee said:
I would think Miami could use a real standards station. I won't say this is the same old junk, but it is pretty much junk.

I like that playlist and I don't think it is junk. I also like Adult Standards . I think Adult Standards would work as a non-com with listener support.

I'm with you Ms (in my dreams). This is a good playlist and the soft oldies format, with good air talent holding it together, has a much better chance of succeeding than Adult Standards which has become today's Beautiful Music. We all know what happened to that format. Nice singers and musicians singing nice songs but none of it connects with people. There are no cherished memories attached to those cover versions of songs no matter how well they're done. It's radio that is forever consigned to the background. Or elevators.

Very true. Somewhere back in another decade businesses stopped using B/EZ and moved to Soft AC by origional artists. Today they often play classic hits in elevators. I love the old ballads like on WDUV when I am going into dreamland.

MsMusicRadio said:
vchimpanzee said:
I would think Miami could use a real standards station. I won't say this is the same old junk, but it is pretty much junk.

I like that playlist and I don't think it is junk. I also like Adult Standards . I think Adult Standards would work as a non-com with listener support.
I did see a thread on the Miami board which listed more of the songs I like. But too much of the list in the first post is what I DON'T like. That's the problem. If that list represents the proportions of good vs. bad, I'm happy with Dial Global and lucky I still have it during the day and after 9 A.M. (What WAS he doing playing "Proud Mary"? ???).

Taking a look around the country soft AC may be making some sort of come back. Columbia, SC has a new soft AC which sounds much like Easy and the Dove. I hope that's the case its a great format with songs that most stations simply don't touch (However here's the secret, people love the soft AC artist)

denio said:
Taking a look around the country soft AC may be making some sort of come back. Columbia, SC has a new soft AC which sounds much like Easy and the Dove. I hope that's the case its a great format with songs that most stations simply don't touch
Even though I'm 45, I wouldn't mind listening to something like that once in awhile. I noticed that when most of the soft ACs first debuted that within a few years if not sooner, they'd evolve into more traditional or mainstream ACs. Don't get me wrong, I didn't necessarily mind the music that they were playing, I just didn't think it was appropriate for a 'soft' music station to be playing some of the material in question.

denio said:
(However here's the secret, people love the soft AC artist)
That is an excellent suggestion! As such, may I suggest that the new crop of soft ACs play some album and less common tracks by artists that the audience should find appealing. A few suggestions might include "Two Hot Girls" and "Better Not Tell Her" by Carly Simon; "Candle In The Wind", "Harmony", "Tiny Dancer", "Friends" and "Border Song" by Elton John; "Rosalinda's Eyes", "You're My Home" and "The Stranger (Reprise)" by Billy Joel; "Poems, Prayers and Promises", "Follow Me", "Wild Montana Skies", "I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado" and "Some Days Are Diamonds" by John Denver; just for starters!

klutch00 said:
denio said:
That is an excellent suggestion! As such, may I suggest that the new crop of soft ACs play some album and less common tracks by artists that the audience should find appealing. A few suggestions might include "Two Hot Girls" and "Better Not Tell Her" by Carly Simon; "Candle In The Wind", "Harmony", "Tiny Dancer", "Friends" and "Border Song" by Elton John; "Rosalinda's Eyes", "You're My Home" and "The Stranger (Reprise)" by Billy Joel; "Poems, Prayers and Promises", "Follow Me", "Wild Montana Skies", "I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado" and "Some Days Are Diamonds" by John Denver; just for starters!

There is a problem with that excellent idea. According to the experts in programming radio stations, only the people who listen to CHR like to hear new songs on the radio. Everyone else only likes to hear songs they already know. Something seems to happen to the brains of people when they reach the age when they switch from Top 40/CHR to any vintage format. All of a sudden, the part of their brain that really enjoys hearing a new song that sounds like other songs that they like explodes. For the rest of their lives, they only want to hear the songs that were certified "hits" when they were younger.

You only have to read the posts in Radio-Info.com made by the experts to know that what I've said is true. All of those great sounding song you listed that anyone with a lick of common sense would agree would be perfect for a "Soft AC & Standards" format are unacceptable, because when listeners hear them and don't recognize them as well known and beloved hits from yesteryear, they are psychically compelled to change the radio station.

Talk_Dude said:
klutch00 said:
denio said:

There is a problem with that excellent idea. According to the experts in programming radio stations, only the people who listen to CHR like to hear new songs on the radio. Everyone else only likes to hear songs they already know.
And the songs which I mentioned DO have some viability! They may be songs that didn't perform well on the Pop charts back in the day, but they have some respect today. Plus, they're by artists that people will recognize and relate to!

Something seems to happen to the brains of people when they reach the age when they switch from Top 40/CHR to any vintage format. All of a sudden, the part of their brain that really enjoys hearing a new song that sounds like other songs that they like explodes. For the rest of their lives, they only want to hear the songs that were certified "hits" when they were younger.
I don't know where the hell you are getting your information! I sure as hell never felt that way! If I could relate to a given sound, I'd give that artist or song 'a chance'. There were many songs that got 'lost' for no real good reason!

You only have to read the posts in Radio-Info.com made by the experts to know that what I've said is true. All of those great sounding song you listed that anyone with a lick of common sense would agree would be perfect for a "Soft AC & Standards" format are unacceptable, because when listeners hear them and don't recognize them as well known and beloved hits from yesteryear, they are psychically compelled to change the radio station.
I think most of the 'experts' don't know their rear ends form a hole in the ground much of the time! They seem to 'walk on eggshells' and don't program enough with their guts! Maybe this is corporate mentality at work.

About being 'psychically compelled to change the station'? The artists which I mentioned above have broad appeal and I don't think too many people would find the aforementioned titles to be objectionable. Keep in mind that the target audience for that format is now 45+ or maybe even 35+. Many of those people in that age range (particularly those under 55 or 60) were fans or became fans of the aforementioned artists and own albums by them. I know that you can't go too deep on an album or you will scare some listeners away, but most of the tracks which I mentioned should be considered 'safe', even for a soft AC for today.

Talk_Dude said:
klutch00 said:
denio said:

There is a problem with that excellent idea. According to the experts in programming radio stations, only the people who listen to CHR like to hear new songs on the radio. Everyone else only likes to hear songs they already know. Something seems to happen to the brains of people when they reach the age when they switch from Top 40/CHR to any vintage format. All of a sudden, the part of their brain that really enjoys hearing a new song that sounds like other songs that they like explodes. For the rest of their lives, they only want to hear the songs that were certified "hits" when they were younger.

I can recall some of the songs you mentioned being offered on our soft AC station back in the mid to late 80's (with the exception of the Billy Joel songs and "Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado" by John Denver). I don't recall "Harmony" being played either; I never understood why that song never does/did get much airplay. I would really enjoy hearing some more of those songs which had been released but didn't fare as well as others. I am 42 here, and I hear songs on "Easy" that I have never heard before, but I still enjoy listening to and feel would fall within a soft AC format. I can't speak for all the soft AC listeners, and I do mostly want to hear hits, but a more obscure song every now and then (as long as it fits musically within the format) sounds good to me.

klutch00 said:
Talk_Dude said:
klutch00 said:
denio said:

There is a problem with that excellent idea. According to the experts in programming radio stations, only the people who listen to CHR like to hear new songs on the radio. Everyone else only likes to hear songs they already know.
And the songs which I mentioned DO have some viability! They may be songs that didn't perform well on the Pop charts back in the day, but they have some respect today. Plus, they're by artists that people will recognize and relate to!

Something seems to happen to the brains of people when they reach the age when they switch from Top 40/CHR to any vintage format. All of a sudden, the part of their brain that really enjoys hearing a new song that sounds like other songs that they like explodes. For the rest of their lives, they only want to hear the songs that were certified "hits" when they were younger.
I don't know where the hell you are getting your information! I sure as hell never felt that way! If I could relate to a given sound, I'd give that artist or song 'a chance'. There were many songs that got 'lost' for no real good reason!

I think most of the 'experts' don't know their rear ends form a hole in the ground much of the time! They seem to 'walk on eggshells' and don't program enough with their guts! Maybe this is corporate mentality at work.

About being 'psychically compelled to change the station'? The artists which I mentioned above have broad appeal and I don't think too many people would find the aforementioned titles to be objectionable. Keep in mind that the target audience for that format is now 45+ or maybe even 35+. Many of those people in that age range (particularly those under 55 or 60) were fans or became fans of the aforementioned artists and own albums by them. I know that you can't go too deep on an album or you will scare some listeners away, but most of the tracks which I mentioned should be considered 'safe', even for a soft AC for today.

I was directing some extreme sarcasm past you and at the majority of radio "experts" who make the ludicrous claims I sarcastically repeated.

I think you're right. I've gone on record many times as saying that same principle works for other genres of music as well, and that oldies stations, classic rock stations, and any other stations playing any sort of "vintage" music format should look to the so-called "deep cuts" on the albums of their core artists for additional material to play to keep their sound fresh. I've repeatedly said that people who like vintage songs that were hits back in the day would also like other good songs that sounded good, and would also like newly recorded songs that still had the great vintage sound. I'm always told that is ridiculous, and that people who like vintage music only like the old hits.

passtheword said:
I can recall some of the songs you mentioned being offered on our soft AC station back in the mid to late 80's (with the exception of the Billy Joel songs and "Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado" by John Denver). I don't recall "Harmony" being played either; I never understood why that song never does/did get much airplay. I would really enjoy hearing some more of those songs which had been released but didn't fare as well as others. I am 42 here, and I hear songs on "Easy" that I have never heard before, but I still enjoy listening to and feel would fall within a soft AC format. I can't speak for all the soft AC listeners, and I do mostly want to hear hits, but a more obscure song every now and then (as long as it fits musically within the format) sounds good to me.

As I said, real people like songs that sound good to them. It's only the suits who run radio stations who don't understand that.

I was directing some extreme sarcasm past you and at the majority of radio "experts" who make the ludicrous claims I sarcastically repeated.
OK I understand now! :)

I think you're right. I've gone on record many times as saying that same principle works for other genres of music as well, and that oldies stations, classic rock stations, and any other stations playing any sort of "vintage" music format should look to the so-called "deep cuts" on the albums of their core artists for additional material to play to keep their sound fresh. I've repeatedly said that people who like vintage songs that were hits back in the day would also like other good songs that sounded good, and would also like newly recorded songs that still had the great vintage sound. I'm always told that is ridiculous, and that people who like vintage music only like the old hits.
I say if radio stations wish to continue to hold onto listeners, they'd better damned well innovate! they cannot continue to go with the same old same old! With some AM stations returning to music, it becomes an even more critical factor!

passtheword said:

As I said, real people like songs that sound good to them. It's only the suits who run radio stations who don't understand that.
[/quote]

Some of my comments about this station are on these threads, since I was responding to specific posts.

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=180985.110
http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=182683.10

I might also be helpful for the rest of you to see comments there too.

I mainly comment about this because I worry standards stations will be tempted to switch to THIS.

WEZV in Myrtle Beach already reports as soft AC. If they actually change from what they're doing now (a valid concern given the terminology) it won't be reported as a change, but the music will be garbage.

Regarding the same songs being played over and over, if that's what is being discussed here (rather than the one station), WAVO in Charlotte seems to have a wider collection of real standards, including songs I've never heard and different versions of the familiar songs, than Dial Global or Timeless Classics. I can't speak for Music of Your Life since I haven't heard it as much. Someone on these boards claimed they had the Jones collection on hard disk, since the Jones format that lasted all of nine months was on there.

vchimpanzee said:
Some of my comments about this station are on these threads, since I was responding to specific posts.

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=180985.110
http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=182683.10

I might also be helpful for the rest of you to see comments there too.

I mainly comment about this because I worry standards stations will be tempted to switch to THIS.

WEZV in Myrtle Beach already reports as soft AC. If they actually change from what they're doing now (a valid concern given the terminology) it won't be reported as a change, but the music will be garbage.

Regarding the same songs being played over and over, if that's what is being discussed here (rather than the one station), WAVO in Charlotte seems to have a wider collection of real standards, including songs I've never heard and different versions of the familiar songs, than Dial Global or Timeless Classics. I can't speak for Music of Your Life since I haven't heard it as much. Someone on these boards claimed they had the Jones collection on hard disk, since the Jones format that lasted all of nine months was on there.

The soft AC and standards formats have been merging for many years now. This is nothing new. Personally, I enjoy listening to both formats but not necessarily together. However, given our other options on the radio these days, Miami's "easy" format is not really a bad mix, IMO.

I saw a Facebook page which I've never found again because I wanted to respond. Matt Sedota of WEZV said his station was doing what Easy 93.1 is, which they aren't. He was correct about his station's success. I just hope the lack of a mainstream AC in Myrtle Beach isn't going to give Matt Sedota ideas. Though I've never understood why their Easy 93.1 type station wasn't considered a success. By the time I heard it, though, it was more like WLYF. Not quite that loud, but certainly not good.

The playlist on yes.com looks good, but there are the occasional clunkers and there is a definite lack of Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, etc. not to mention few if any of the new versions of that type of music by Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr., Rod Stewart etc. If you want to do currents, that's the way to go. WEZV had more Rod Stewart last time I listened than classics by all of the above classic artists combined, but at least they do that kind of music.

Maybe he is not Soft AC, but the success of CeLo in recording new music that sounds like old school R&B seems to indicate that us oldies fans (at least me) like new music in the genres we grew up with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom