• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

East Palestine, OH train derailment - Any radio station covering it?

But the issue was "talking while the governor was talking", not failing to evacuate. That is more like repression of news than failing to obey authorities in an emergency.
He should have, out of courtesy, yielded to the Governor. He should not have been tackled and arrested.

I have been following this closely and think we need more information before taking sides. That's why the Ohio AG has announced that his office will do the investigation into this incident.

One small thing I should add: At one time, a train carrying such lethal cargo had to inform emergency officials if the train came near a populated area. That was the case in Minot ND 20 years ago. We learned this during congressional hearings on the disaster. There's a possibility that those rules have been changed since then. We'll learn more if hearings happen after this. This article says rules changed in 2004:

One small thing I should add: At one time, a train carrying such lethal cargo had to inform emergency officials if the train came near a populated area. That was the case in Minot ND 20 years ago.
What would be interesting to know is how often such chemicals and substances are shipped. Based on seeing tanker cars with the various "dangerous" codes on the main Los Angeles / Long Beach rail route along I-10 in the Palm Springs area, I'd say this is enormously frequent.

I also see dangerous chemicals shipped by tanker truck, and they can be identified with the diamond shaped code lettering.

According to the article I linked, it happens a lot.
It's not as "often" as the article could be interpreted to indicate, as essentially all the ones I see are in large groups of cars, so that 72,000 figure might actually mean less than 10,000 separate trains with multiple chemical-containing cars.

As I looked for information on this, I was concerned that it is not easy to find easy consumer-friendly explanations of "how to tell if a wrecked train car is dangerous". In fact, a lot of the information is written in obtuse "governmentese" and difficult for a lay person to figure out.

Here's someone explaining how cost cutting ultimately led to this train wreck. if you listen carefully you might hear some parallels to the radio business.

So you think staffing causes "trainwrecks" on the radio? I hate to tell you, but cost-cutting and staff shortages are a problem everywhere. I was at the grocery store last night and saw pallets and pallets of groceries that were waiting to get stocked on shelves. In the meantime, it looks like they're out of stock. It's waiting for someone to unbox it and put it on the shelf. Same with restaurants. I couldn't get a table because they didn't have enough servers to cover the entire room. Everyone wants to save money.

Not a surprise to me. As I said, local emergency officials are in charge of these things, not radio & TV. The reporters do what they're told. If the police tell them to evacuate, they have to evacuate. It doesn't matter if they want to report on a disaster.
Getting arrested because you're talking while the governor's talking and the cops don't like it has nothing to do with an evacuation. Got it?

The same lack of staffing has affected the utility companies. After Superstorm Sandy hit NJ, the truck that eventually arrived to fix the power lines in my neighborhood -- two weeks later -- came from Missouri.

Getting arrested because you're talking while the governor's talking and the cops don't like it has nothing to do with an evacuation. Got it?

It has to do with following directions and doing what you're told. When the police tell you to do something, you do it. Got it?

Charges dismissed against NewsNation reporter who was arrested at East Palestine press conference​

The criminal charges filed against the NewsNation reporter who was arrested while reporting at a news conference in East Palestine have been dropped, Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost announced Wednesday.
“While journalists could conceivably be subject to criminal charges for trespassing in some situations, this incident is not one of them,” Yost wrote in a statement. “The reporter was lawfully present at a press conference called by the Governor of the state. His conduct was consistent with the purpose of the event and his role as a reporter.”
“This reporter who was reporting live from the back of the room never should have been asked to stop, never should have been told to be quiet,” the Republican governor told CNN’s Don Lemon and Kaitlan Collins. “That was a big, big mistake

The same lack of staffing has affected the utility companies. After Superstorm Sandy hit NJ, the truck that eventually arrived to fix the power lines in my neighborhood -- two weeks later -- came from Missouri.
That is not "lack of staffing" and is totally normal. Utility companies only have enough staff to handle normal maintenance, failures and emergencies. When there is a tornado, hurricane, forest fire, flood or other catastrophic event, crews come in from other utility companies.

I saw a report based on the hurricane damage to SW Florida that said, "were utilities to have enough staff to deal locally with once a century... or even once a decade... disasters, your electric rate would increase to over $0.50 a kilowatt hour.

As an example, because Puerto Rico is an island, no outside crews were available to "drive over" there for the 100% system failure in their big hurricane in 2018. Some crews were flown in at a huge costs in transport and lodging, but parts of the Island had no power for more than four months and, over 5 years later, the whole power grid is still immensely fragile and generator plants fail constantly. And that is in the United States!

"The storm caused the worst electrical blackout in US history, which persisted for several months." and "The hurricane completely destroyed the island's power grid, leaving all 3.4 million residents without electricity. Governor Rosselló stated that it could take months to restore power in some locations, with the San Juan Mayor estimating that some areas would remain without power for four to six months. Communication networks were crippled across the island. Ninety-five percent of cell networks were down, with 48 of the island's 78 counties networks being completely inoperable. Eighty-five percent of above-ground phone and internet cables were knocked out.

So consider yourself very fortunate you live in a place where cooperative agreements allow electric companies to share resources in an emergency.

Last edited:
That's a good question, and TTBOMK it was not. Keep in mind that since the Homeland Security Act was passed over 20 years ago, all power for communications to the public in an emergency resides with local emergency officials. Theye determine who is essential and who gets evacuated. Not someone in radio or TV. From the minute this accident happened, it was all their responsibility.
There is an oft-beaten dead horse in Minot, ND, where a similar event occurred 21 years ago and the EAS was not activated. Because there was no radio alert and because the local stations were all owned by Clear Channel, that broadcaster was blamed for not activating the system.

In reality, the issue was based in the fact that the local and state officials did not know how to activate the EAS themselves due to inadequate training and an sense of a controlled emergency situation protocol. If the authorized people and departments in the government had reacted appropriately, the alert would have been broadcast. Of course, even then it was at about 2 AM and how many people in Minot were awake and listening to the radio at that time?

Even now, when the Ohio event occurred the average is that one out of every 12 persons may be listening to the radio. That leaves most people uninformed unless alerts are issued on TV and through cellular phones.

Last edited:
That is not "lack of staffing" and is totally normal. Utility companies only have enough staff to handle normal maintenance, failures and emergencies. When there is a tornado, hurricane, forest fire, flood or other catastrophic event, crews come in from other utility companies.

I saw a report based on the hurricane damage to SW Florida that said, "were utilities to have enough staff to deal locally with once a century... or even once a decade... disasters, your electric rate would increase to over $0.50 a kilowatt hour.
When one of the larger hurricanes rolled through FL a few years ago, they showed all the trucks from the various power companies from both other parts of FL and neighboring states, staged in a huge parking lot waiting for their assignments. I noticed that most all the bucket trucks looked almost the same, though logos and decals here and there were different. It was explained back then about the cooperative that exists, which allows power companies, sometimes from several states away, to dispatch crews to disaster areas to assist - and while many of the trucks were from Florida's power company which explained why many of them appered to have an identical configuration, the news agency explained that there was also an effort to specify similar vehicles for neighboring states as well, so when the proverbial doo doo really hit the fan and there was an "all hands on deck" response to a disaster, staffing, bucket trucks and at least some other equipment could be at least somewhat interchangeable and familiar to all staff, regardless of which utility company they were employed by.

Last edited:
That is not "lack of staffing" and is totally normal. Utility companies only have enough staff to handle normal maintenance, failures and emergencies.
But they don't even have that! When FirstEnergy took over JCP&L, they fired half of the linemen and stopped doing tree trimming and system maintenance. So guess what happened during the next ice storm? The power was out for a week because untrimmed trees limbs fell on the lines, and 50-year-old equipment that failed could not be repaired because it was so old that replacement parts were no longer available for it.

And we all know what happened in California when the power company there stopped doing maintenance and implemented a policy of continuing to use 100-year-old power lines until they failed:

Some people seem to think this is a federal government issue, and that the Secretary of Transportation should be there overseeing things. This is primarily a state government thing. The local emergency officials are in charge, with involvement from the EPA.

Today, the governor requested federal aid, but not from the DOT:

He requested aid from HHS. So really no role for DOT except investigating the derailment, and if laws were broken. Moving forward, there are other departments involved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom