• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Earth FM to move to 95.5

97.1 from Atlanta used to be received in Greenville back in the day. Now there is a Spartanburg sports station on the same frequency that interferes. But still indeed makes it to Anderson. Both WSB and WSRV are Cox stations, but not sure about the HD Radio options.

I’ve been hearing something that sounds like classical type (religious?) music on 95.5 in Greenville around Haywood Rd. It’s got a quiet signal, not really sure what it is.
That’s likely WMXP-LP. During a recent trip to the Upstate, it was very, very quiet.

I’ve been hearing something that sounds like classical type (religious?) music on 95.5 in Greenville around Haywood Rd. It’s got a quiet signal, not really sure what it is.
Weird. You described WMUU which went off the air years ago.

I remember when 95.5 was in Athens and I could hear it in the mountains.

97.1 from Atlanta used to be received in Greenville back in the day. Now there is a Spartanburg sports station on the same frequency that interferes. But still indeed makes it to Anderson. Both WSB and WSRV are Cox stations, but not sure about the HD Radio options.
I remember hearing 97.1 in the mountains. It was AC at the time. Maybe even soft AC.

Didn't 97.1 used to be a really strong signal in to the upstate? I remember getting almost a static free signal in Laurens county back in the mid 2000s. I also used to get 106.1 WNGC quite well which is now static for the most part. Something tells me 97.1 WSRV reduced their power at some point since then but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t gotten WSRV very well in over a decade, before the translators became an issue.

That’s likely WMXP-LP. During a recent trip to the Upstate, it was very, very quiet.

I didn’t know they were still broadcasting but that would make sense. For years WMXP seems like it’s off and on as far as broadcasting or maybe it’s the signal. They have a decent looking website so I guess they’ll move to streaming only.

I wonder aren't both 95.5 (WSB) and 97.1 (WSRV) both Cox Radio Atlanta stations? I know both used to be located in the same area as the current 97.1 signal near Gainesville, and 97.1 still does ok up to parts of the Anderson area. Maybe WSB is/could be on one of 97.1's HD channels, that would help with reception in NE Georgia that was lost by moving 95.5 towards Downtown Atlanta...just a thought, I would ask them about it.
WSB is repeated over a big signal translator on 93.5 which operates from the WSRV 97.1 tower northeast of Atlanta off I-85 & I-985. The WSBB-FM 95.5 signal strength on auto receivers at the SC/GA line on I-85 is only 26 dBu. A station needs to have at least 20 dBu more signal to overcome an interfering co-channel signal. WLTE will have a 45 dBu signal but as soon as you drive east and out of lake valley, where the SC welcome center is located, WLTE pops up to a 55 dBu so WSBB is overcome. In downtown Anderson WLTE on 95.9 has a 74 dBu signal whereas on 95.5 it will have a still healthy 64 dBu. There is an almost identical comparison at Clemson to 95.9 and 95.5 for WLTE.

The move of WLTE from 95.9 to 95.5 will not result in a new allotment on 95.9. A Class A FM station is relocating to Toccoa, GA on 95.7 so the spectrum already a very small area to locate on 95.9 has been closed by the station at Toccoa.

Yes. Licensee is Malcom X Grassroots Movement and targets the black population- however, it is hardly an urban station. It has a variety of programming from Pacifica and other sources. I have heard them play classical music before.

WMXP's call sign means "Malcom eXPerience."
However nothing on their website yet about any changes to their station. Earth FM may start testing on 95.5 very soon.

Looks like the new station coming to Toccoa GA on 95.7 is WRBN from Clayton GA already on 96.3. It should have to be directional to the East and SW to protect Earth FM and WSBB @ 95.5.

But it looks like WRBN will have a new signal that puts a decent 60 dbu even over much of Oconee County SC and almost to Seneca / Clemson. Going from 370 watts to 1000 watts.

Also it seems to move their service completely...
WRBN is already a Clayton station barely reaching Toccoa, and will be a Clayton station barely reaching Clayton...Hopefully it doesn't interfere with Earth's new 95.5 signal.

Last edited:
Didn't 97.1 used to be a really strong signal in to the upstate? I remember getting almost a static free signal in Laurens county back in the mid 2000s. I also used to get 106.1 WNGC quite well which is now static for the most part. Something tells me 97.1 WSRV reduced their power at some point since then but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t gotten WSRV very well in over a decade, before the translators became an issue.

I didn’t know they were still broadcasting but that would make sense. For years WMXP seems like it’s off and on as far as broadcasting or maybe it’s the signal. They have a decent looking website so I guess they’ll move to streaming only.
Yes 97.1 from Atlanta used to have a strong signal in Greenville. But that was over 15 or more years ago, when I think they moved their tower or perhaps modified their direction. Or perhaps reduced power. They are licensed to Gainesville but perhaps they wanted a stronger signal more towards metro Atlanta. But I have always listened to WSB when traveling to Atlanta, either on 750AM or more recently 95.5, usually just as you pass by Anderson and cross the lake.

WSB on 95.5 is now spotty between Lavonia and Anderson since they moved the tower closer to Atlanta. I think it was previously in Athens. So when Earth FM moves to 95.5 than will probably wipe out WSBB as you get close to the SC line. So back to 750-AM and a bit of static until I can tune in that Gainesville translator. Forgot to check it out last time. But I finally did make it to the Whataburger at the Buford exit. Inside dining open and lines settled down. Good burgers and they did confirm they are headed to the Upstate in the next year. Already confirmed for Anderson and Spartanburg. As for WORD-FM on 98.9, they started to phase out between Jefferson and Braselton.

I can’t find any news or updates from their website, but a quick search of the FCC LPFM database, WMXP-LP’s license has disappeared so I guess they’ve gone off the air. I can check when I go to Greenville tomorrow. They are still streaming.

Thanks! I looked for a good 10 minutes and couldn’t find it for some reason. I wonder if WMXP-LP is allowed to broadcast up until WLTE officially moves to the new facility as the primary site? I’m not sure how they would handle WLTE testing at 95.5 since technically the full power FM supersedes them but it isn’t technically broadcasting from there yet. I didn’t hear WMXP today but I may have been out of the signal’s range.

New Top of the Hour Identification
Includes 95.5 WLTE Powdersville.

So I guess WLTE is on both 95.9 and 95.5 Currently...? Can't check/receive 95.9 in Spartanburg County.

Still in the testing phase probably, and no mention of 95.5 on the air yet (Still 103.3/95.9)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom