• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Early morning DXing

I haven'd done morning DXing after sunrise in years because it's been my experience anyway that once the sun is up, the distant stations are gone, unlike in the very late afternoon where they can start coming in when the sun is still low on the horizon.

So I went to the store, did my shopping, came back out and got ready to start the car. The parking lot was empty and something made me wonder what I could hear on AM.

This was right at 9:00.

So all I got was the usual you'd expect in daylight except when I got to the X band.

It sounded just like it normally does at night and on some frequencies I even heard 2 or 3 stations.

Didn't get any official IDs but being how few stations there are on each frequency and they are non directional, I'd have to conclude I got the closest ones according to the AM frequency guide.

Of course, 1610 was just our local info station for Tampa airport.

1620 was a good signal from WNRP Gulf Breeze, Fla with another weak station in the background.

1630 had to be WRDW from Augusta, Ga. and there was also another station very weak in the background.

1640 had a strong signal from WTNI Biloxi, Miss. with two very weak stations in the background.

1650 had two weak stations but I had no idea where that could have been from.

1660 was the usual WCNZ from Marco Island and something else weak in the background.

1670 had a decent signal that had to be WFSM from Warner Robins, Ga

1680 had what was most likely WOKB from Winter Garden, Fl with a weaker station that was most likely KRJO from Monroe, La and also a third weaker station in the background.

1690 had nothing but some constant weird noise.

1700 started out with a good signal from WJCC in Miami Springs. Then the gospel station WEUP from Huntsville sneaked in real quick, followed by a station playing oldies and that could only have been KVNS from Brownsville, Tx.

After a few minutes, KVNS and WEUP were at equal strength with WJCC in the background and they were playing what sounded like French.

By the time I got home aroung 9:30, everything sounded more like it normally would mid day and many of the stations I was getting earlier were gone.

I guess the sky wave lingers a little after sunrise on 1600 to 1700 unlike the rest of the AM band.

Dead of winter in Ohio and Indiana, DX conditions can last to 10am and beyond, and sometimes from the east. On the Xband there are days Madison on 1670 and the two Michigan stations never fade out.

I picked up my radio at about 5:30 this afternoon and the X band is already lit up like this morning, except I can't hear KVNS.

The sun still has a way to go before it sets.

gar fla said:
I guess the sky wave lingers a little after sunrise on 1600 to 1700 unlike the rest of the AM band.

Conditions vary from day to day. One day a couple of years back, I turned the radio on at noon -- and heard KRLD-1080, Dallas. (I'm in Nashville, Dallas is 600 miles away) I've also heard the big Chicago stations (670/720/780/890) blasting into central Kansas at 11:00 in the morning. But none of that is everyday reception.

one summer day i had WFAN till almost 11am in Central Indiana. and on a new years day i had WSB in atlanta all day here as well. but that was in the dead middle of winter with snow on the ground. that is a good usual bouncer some times. because i was wonder why i was having the georgia bulldogs radio on WJR for some reason till i heard the WSB id

Picking up WSB from there in the middle of the winter in the day seems possible but only with a skywave.

I don't know if there's any evidence snow cover helps with a ground wave anyway.

WFAN untill 11am on a summer day?

I once heard DC's AM 1500, when it was WTOP, in eastern NC at 10:30 AM EST during mid fall, with a Kenwood car stereo.

And these stories only get better now that we're on Standard Time. I am moving back to Ohio from Texas toward the end of the month and am looking forward to the far better DX you get in that part of the country ... I can remember hearing Chicago 50K blasters in Ohio many times by 3:30-4 in the afternoon. The NYC stations also get in early because it gets dark early on the East Coast.

I've heard KOKC out of Oklahoma City at 11 AM here in Canyon Lake, TX in late fall and winter; again not an every day event, but it happens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom