• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Early Color TV Broadcasts

OldNumber7 said:
Bob1370 said:
Speaking of color and kinescopes, since color film stock was available and widely used in Hollywood (and for film production in New York and Toronto as well), did anyone ever use color film to kinescope a show? Wouldn't have been that hard to take the innards of a TK-40 or TK-41 color camera and adapt them to a kinescope film chain, so you'd figure at least RCA and NBC would have tried it out in the 1953-56 period before the first color VTRs came on line in 1957 and 1958....anyone know if it was tried, and if any of the resulting experiments kinescoping shows in color were preserved?

Odd. I assumed color kinescopes were more common than you suggest. If you've ever seen the hysterical late 1960s clip of Carson doing a pre-move California week with Dean Martin and George Gobel, you can appreciate why I always assumed it was a kinescope. It's blurry and the sound ain't great -- it seems way too crappy for late 60s videotape. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qzs6Md4jM

Wasn't that one of the many that were sent overseas as part of the Armed Forces Network? Virtually all of them seem to be in B&W, but the Carson show obviously wasn't.

That Tonight Show was, indeed, film made from videotape (which made it easier to distribute to far-flung military outposts without videotape playback available.) I'd call that a kinescope, though usually the context for true kinescopes was that they were shot from a live broadcast using the only recording method then available.

It was supposedly required of Armed Forces Network that they destroy what they distributed after it aired. The fact that the Tonight Show that survives even exists is, technically, a violation of the license granted by the broadcaster/right-holder to the AFN.

The lenticular kinescope mentioned above is interesting - apparently the film looks black-and-white, but has the lenticular grooves you'd associate with something like 3D baseball cards. I'd love to see it processed to restore the live-video look, but that'd probably cost a lot more than any rights holder is willing to spend.

hubcity said:
That Tonight Show was, indeed, film made from videotape (which made it easier to distribute to far-flung military outposts without videotape playback available.) I'd call that a kinescope, though usually the context for true kinescopes was that they were shot from a live broadcast using the only recording method then available.

It was supposedly required of Armed Forces Network that they destroy what they distributed after it aired. The fact that the Tonight Show that survives even exists is, technically, a violation of the license granted by the broadcaster/right-holder to the AFN.

The lenticular kinescope mentioned above is interesting - apparently the film looks black-and-white, but has the lenticular grooves you'd associate with something like 3D baseball cards. I'd love to see it processed to restore the live-video look, but that'd probably cost a lot more than any rights holder is willing to spend.

A few years ago, a not-so-great kinescope copy of NBC's broadcast of the 1965 MLB All-Star Game was found on a base in Alaska, and was shown on the MLB Network.

And here's a LiveFeed restoration of a kinescope in color. (This is a process that restores kinescopes to near-videotape quality. They used it for the "Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show" DVD release.) It is unclear if this was originally a color kinescope, or a film in bad condition. According to their website, this was taken from "The Colgate Comedy Hour" in 1952. There were some closed circuit colorcasts so that NBC could monitor improvements and present them to the FCC at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OsklJdjnXk

Some comments on the thread seem to think this has been colorized. I don't know for sure - it might just be conjecture.

MCarney said:
And here's a LiveFeed restoration of a kinescope in color. (This is a process that restores kinescopes to near-videotape quality. They used it for the "Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show" DVD release.) It is unclear if this was originally a color kinescope, or a film in bad condition. According to their website, this was taken from "The Colgate Comedy Hour" in 1952. There were some closed circuit colorcasts so that NBC could monitor improvements and present them to the FCC at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OsklJdjnXk

Some comments on the thread seem to think this has been colorized. I don't know for sure - it might just be conjecture.

This one looks like it's been colorized, there's lttle or no hue difference within any part of any of the "fields" of color,
and the very-sharp definition between color and no-color is just a bit to distinct to seem like any rf-modulated chroma.\

I see no television color artifacts or impurities. I do still see some kinescope "blooming" on high contrast changes in the scene.

LiveFeed originator Kevin Segura colorized the clip just for grins after applying the LiveFeed process to the kine.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I have the orginal tape of NBC's coverage of the JFK assasination. In late '63, the coverage went in and out of color coverage. Most of the color coverage came from the Dallas affiliate. NBC news, itself, was still B&W, but I believe this event sped up their color news coverage, and they were in color within a year or two.

searadiofreak said:
Not sure if this was mentioned, but I have the orginal tape of NBC's coverage of the JFK assasination. In late '63, the coverage went in and out of color coverage. Most of the color coverage came from the Dallas affiliate. NBC news, itself, was still B&W, but I believe this event sped up their color news coverage, and they were in color within a year or two.

A&E rebroadcast that once, didn't they?

cd

cd637299 said:
searadiofreak said:

A&E rebroadcast that once, didn't they?

cd

Yes. That is my source.

The entire show that the Ernie Kovacs clip that was mentioned earlier came from was included in a DVD set, The Ernie Kovacs Collection. It had been available on Netflix online last year, but has since been dropped. But the DVD set should still be available to rent through Netflix, or to buy from Amazon, etc.

searadiofreak said:

WBAP-TV in Ft Worth had their TK 41's up and running because of the visit of JFK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QuMheNE7iQk#t=183s

The biggest hurdle that awful afternoon was for AT&T to clear a line connecting Dallas with Chicago. Back then it had to be done manually every 30-40 miles. Once signal got to Chicago there was a dedicated line to NY.

Fenway1912 said:
searadiofreak said:

WBAP-TV in Ft Worth had their TK 41's up and running because of the visit of JFK.

The biggest hurdle that awful afternoon was for AT&T to clear a line connecting Dallas with Chicago. Back then it had to be done manually every 30-40 miles. Once signal got to Chicago there was a dedicated line to NY.

There were a couple of ways to get the feed back to New York in the early minutes. One was to tie into the NBC round-robin, the main network circuit that went from New York south to Washington, then Atlanta, then Memphis, then Chicago, then Cleveland, then back to New York (that's a simplified route). AT&T could have tied in at Memphis or a similar southern point, then "hot switched" the entire circuit manually on the air when Bill Ryan or Chet Huntley or whoever called for WBAP. On tapes, you'd see the picture roll as the VTR resynched to the new signal. In the early going, this is now NBC switched from New York to Washington. The other way was to order a line direct to 30 Rock from WBAP. On that segment of the tape, the switches are very clean. I don't know if that's because the tape was edited slightly to eliminate the synch glitch from the hot switch (at least one example of that exists from an NY-Washington switch) or NBC got the direct line to Dallas turned on immediately.

There's a parallel. In the 1981 Reagan assassination attempt, NBC cuts back and forth from New York to Washington several times. The first few are hot switches before AT&T brought up the tie line from Washington. In the pre-satellite days, the network was generally switched for remotes only during station breaks or during the afternoon affiliate news feed. Viewers never saw them except in there rare circumstances.

One thing about that 1988 A&E broadcast struck home.

By 5 PM Eastern NBC had a complete dossier on Lee Harvey Oswald. Given the limitations of 1963 you have to wonder.

tvnut said:
Fenway1912 said:
searadiofreak said:

There were a couple of ways to get the feed back to New York in the early minutes. One was to tie into the NBC round-robin, the main network circuit that went from New York south to Washington, then Atlanta, then Memphis, then Chicago, then Cleveland, then back to New York (that's a simplified route). AT&T could have tied in at Memphis or a similar southern point, then "hot switched" the entire circuit manually on the air when Bill Ryan or Chet Huntley or whoever called for WBAP. On tapes, you'd see the picture roll as the VTR resynched to the new signal. In the early going, this is now NBC switched from New York to Washington. The other way was to order a line direct to 30 Rock from WBAP. On that segment of the tape, the switches are very clean. I don't know if that's because the tape was edited slightly to eliminate the synch glitch from the hot switch (at least one example of that exists from an NY-Washington switch) or NBC got the direct line to Dallas turned on immediately.

There's a parallel. In the 1981 Reagan assassination attempt, NBC cuts back and forth from New York to Washington several times. The first few are hot switches before AT&T brought up the tie line from Washington. In the pre-satellite days, the network was generally switched for remotes only during station breaks or during the afternoon affiliate news feed. Viewers never saw them except in there rare circumstances.

Related: This November will mark the 50th anniversary of the JFK events. I wonder how much programming will be dedicated to it.

November 22nd, 1963 and November 22nd, 2013 (Was: Re: Early Color TV Broadcasts)

Searadiofreak asked: said:
Related: This November (2013) will mark the 50th anniversary of the JFK events.  I wonder how much programming will be dedicated to it.

I expect ABC, CBS, and NBC will each have a prime-time special (perhaps two hours each, likely on the anniversary itself, Friday evening November 22nd) featuring clips from their coverage of that weekend.

I think there's a chance that either History (the sister company to A&E) or MSNBC again rebroadcasting NBC's coverage from November 22nd, 1963.

I also can see ABC, CBS, and NBC releasing DVD sets of their coverage of that weekend, likely including four or five hours from November 22nd, the shooting of prime suspect Lee Harvey Oswald and it's aftermath, plus the funeral and burial.

There likely will also be special magazines issued by Time, Life, and others, along with many new books.

In short, there's going to be no shortage of remembrances, retrospectives, and memories.

And, quite frankly, some attempts to make money on the anniversary of what was, until September 11th of 2001, the saddest day in American history.

There was a Mad Men episode about the day of the assassination and it showed frequent clips of the characters watching NBC and CBS coverage. Seeing the two networks compared made it clear why by the end of the decade, CBS had so greatly eclipsed NBC overall, and why CBS coverage is so much better remembered.

It wasn't Cronkite compared to Huntley-Brinkley and Uncle Walter in his shirt sleeves, wiping away a tear.

It was Walter was in a working newsroom, surrounded by people, teletypes and telephones. In contrast, NBC's people looked like they were working out of somebody's basement, with fake knotty pine wall panels and once in a while another news guy coming in to read a bulletin. Walter looked plugged in and on top of things. NBC looked like cable access before cable access.

Another question concerning network color feeds: I was always under the impression that the first coast-to-coast NTSC color feed by any network after FCC approval of the system was the Dec. 21, 1953 NBC-TV feed of the only episode of "Dragnet" from the first ('51-'59) series to be shot in color...the classic "The Big Little Jesus" case. As was the case back then, RCA color television dealers had viewing parties in cities where OTA color was available.

My local affiliate, WAVE(TV), was one of the very few affiliates able to pass the color signal, according to local TV engineering vets-I know the NBC O&Os could and did pass NTSC color. This episode was repeated annually during the first series, and reshot for the second ('67-'70) "Dragnet" series with Harry Morgan replacing Ben Alexander.

FredLeonard said:
It was Walter was in a working newsroom, surrounded by people, teletypes and telephones. In contrast, NBC's people looked like they were working out of somebody's basement, with fake knotty pine wall panels and once in a while another news guy coming in to read a bulletin. Walter looked plugged in and on top of things. NBC looked like cable access before cable access.

Not to mention when the death was officially announced, Cronkite solemnly read the wire report on the air on CBS, while Frank McGee (thinking the phone connection was bad) repeated what Robert McNeill was saying--even though McNeill could clearly be heard. Regarding the network decor, NBC's set was high-budget compared to what ABC looked like--an UNFINISHED basement with open wires clearly in view.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom