• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Eagle 98.1 starts a 90s Alt show.... More to come???

They launched "flannel and coffee" today. A 9am-2pm show on Sunday.
The first song on the innagural show this morning was Lump by Presidents of the US... Perhaps a nod to 100.7 the Tiger's modern rock days, as that was the song they launched their "Modern Rock" format with.

I keep hearing rumors of alternative returning to BR..... perhaps a 90s heavy Alt at that.....

Hmmm, which one would be a target for alternative? 107.3? One of the 104s? 103.3?

There’s not a lot of potential options out there.

I don’t think anyone flipping to alternative without planning a heavy 90s lean, it’s been successful elsewhere.

Eagle has been about 1/1 modern/classic rock song lately. As someone who likes the 90s and 2000s rock, but does not like classic rock (I'm 46 and just burned out on it and it's not my music generation), I wonder how effective this type of playlist can be. I would also suspect that classic rock fans do not like the 90s and 2000s Rock mixed in with their songs.

Having said, how much longer can classic rock stations continue playing core classic rock before the demo ages out of a desirable range for national buys? I’m thinking primarily of KZMZ where they have held on to traditional classic rock with very few newer songs. so, only very safe ones. KKGB in Lake Charles also seems to be clutching their classic rock pearls very tightly.

Eagle has been about 1/1 modern/classic rock song lately. As someone who likes the 90s and 2000s rock, but does not like classic rock (I'm 46 and just burned out on it and it's not my music generation), I wonder how effective this type of playlist can be. I would also suspect that classic rock fans do not like the 90s and 2000s Rock mixed in with their songs.

Having said, how much longer can classic rock stations continue playing core classic rock before the demo ages out of a desirable range for national buys? I’m thinking primarily of KZMZ where they have held on to traditional classic rock with very few newer songs. so, only very safe ones. KKGB in Lake Charles also seems to be clutching their classic rock pearls very tightly.
Of the three you mention, WDGL and KZMZ are locally owned, and as such, probably don't focus much on national buys over local direct.

KKGB, owned by Cumulus, would probably get lumped into whatever demo male buys Cumulus takes at the national level and clears on local stations.

Of the three you mention, WDGL and KZMZ are locally owned, and as such, probably don't focus much on national buys over local direct.

KKGB, owned by Cumulus, would probably get lumped into whatever demo male buys Cumulus takes at the national level and clears on local stations. Do local

KKGB, owned by Cumulus, would probably get lumped into whatever demo male buys Cumulus takes at the national level and clears on local stations.
Do local business owners buying direct not care about who listens to these stations? My family is in the car business and we would not want to spend advertising dollars targeting 60 year olds because they aren't going buy cars like 30 somethings.

KFTE in Lafayette is a older leaning classic rock as well. They still play lots of late 60s that many stations are moving on from. I think they just run a generic log sent down from Townsquare national programmers.

Do local business owners buying direct not care about who listens to these stations? My family is in the car business and we would not want to spend advertising dollars targeting 60 year olds because they aren't going buy cars like 30 somethings.
These days I might take the older end, they probably have money compared to 30-somethings. 😉

Eagle’s sellers must have something that allows them to show performance in whatever male demo they are targeting. Or the advertiser sees results. Or maybe they just like advertising in LSU games?

Cars get sold new to older buys, younger buyers are usually used or in higher paying jobs that can afford it new IMO.

With loss of 92.3, I would have expected a FM translator to play newer new rock or Alternative in BR, or flip talk 107.3 back to classic country or flanker for 98.1.

Truthfully , I'd expect 98.1 to go more heritage Rocker, playing new rock with classics as they play way newer than most classic rockers

96.9, Used to be a heritage station I loved listening to, buy now is more of a deep track classic Rocker in a market with only three regional owners. And with no younger crowd, Alex is like Shreveport, stuck in 1980s when 98.9 flipped classic rock (Why is it W&J affiliates all have to be classic rock? It's like it's a thing in their agreement that they are talk or classic rock. Last new Rocker lost them last year to a IHM classic Rocker in town)

Anyway with BR with LSU and young people coming for business, I'm still shocked there isn't a modern Rocker like what 92.3 is like in NOLA .

Cars get sold new to older buys, younger buyers are usually used or in higher paying jobs that can afford it new IMO.

With loss of 92.3, I would have expected a FM translator to play newer new rock or Alternative in BR, or flip talk 107.3 back to classic country or flanker for 98.1.

Truthfully , I'd expect 98.1 to go more heritage Rocker, playing new rock with classics as they play way newer than most classic rockers

96.9, Used to be a heritage station I loved listening to, buy now is more of a deep track classic Rocker in a market with only three regional owners. And with no younger crowd, Alex is like Shreveport, stuck in 1980s when 98.9 flipped classic rock (Why is it W&J affiliates all have to be classic rock? It's like it's a thing in their agreement that they are talk or classic rock. Last new Rocker lost them last year to a IHM classic Rocker in town)

Anyway with BR with LSU and young people coming for business, I'm still shocked there isn't a modern Rocker like what 92.3 is like in NOLA .
Shreveport is afraid to do modern rock

Loss of 92.3? They are back to 100k watts. They reach BR just fine now. 5 bars here at my house in livingston. Tower is not 2k feet. I think its 400. But its booming in here.

Loss of 92.3? They are back to 100k watts. They reach BR just fine now. 5 bars here at my house in livingston. Tower is not 2k feet. I think its 400. But its booming in here.
Something about the antenna/tower is severely distorting the pattern to the north and west, maybe even by design as a way to push more RF towards NOLA proper. I generally can pickup KCIL and KLXH better than WZRH in the Baton Rouge metro area.

100,000 watts at 2000 feet is a big difference from 100,000 watts at 420 feet. Plus the original Vacherie site was a few miles closer to Baton Rouge than the new site in LaPlace. It fringes SE Baton Rouge, but doesn't provide solid coverage over the entire metro.

100,000 watts at 2000 feet is a big difference from 100,000 watts at 420 feet. Plus the original Vacherie site was a few miles closer to Baton Rouge than the new site in LaPlace. It fringes SE Baton Rouge, but doesn't provide solid coverage over the entire metro.
I get what you're saying, but the 50 dBu contour almost reaches downtown BR whereas the listenable signal does not reach anywhere near that. It craps out almost completely near The Mall of Louisiana area coming in on I-10. WZRH is still enjoying protection of a full class C, so it could not be due to co-channel interference. There are many other FMs that I currently receive well into the 45 dBu contour with my vehicle just fine but not this one.

The other stations I referenced are further at lower power/height, but seemingly put a better fringe signal into BR.
KCIL 50kw @ 433ft
KLXH 25kw @ 328ft

Who knows why?

The other stations I referenced are further at lower power/height, but seemingly put a better fringe signal into BR.
KCIL 50kw @ 433ft
KLXH 25kw @ 328ft

Who knows why?
Maybe because of elevation. New Orleans is the lowest city in elevation in Louisiana and probably the country. The other stations are most likely higher in elevation than 92.3. Either that or the processing equipment that they use, but I never heard those stations before.

Maybe because of elevation. New Orleans is the lowest city in elevation in Louisiana and probably the country. The other stations are most likely higher in elevation than 92.3. Either that or the processing equipment that they use, but I never heard those stations before.
It's not elevation or processing. WZRH has slightly better elevation than KCIL or KLXH. Processing isn't the issue either. The issue may have been answered earlier in the thread - the coverage pattern could be distorted due to the self support tower that WZRH is mounted on, but I can't know that for sure.

Maybe because of elevation. New Orleans is the lowest city in elevation in Louisiana and probably the country.

KCIL is basically at maybe 3 ft above sea level. The transmitter area was getting flooded a few years ago with heavy rains. The 106.3 KLXH is maybe 5ft.
I'm guessing cumulus went cheap on antenna and materials to get back on before FCC told them something.
As personally if they would have built a 1000 footer, they would rock. Proof with sister station 103.3 heard all over eastern Jefferson Parish with seek lock on the station.
If you want another, look at WGUO 94.9 at 50kw. If it wasn't for the LPFM in BR previously and now the 94.7 rebroadcaster , think they would be heard in the capital city. As you get a station seek lock on them within the translator’s broadcast area in Gonzales pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom