• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

dxing on 850 a.m (need help with I.Ds)

M

midwestclubber

Okay, last night at work, I decided to keep going to the car to check out 850, to see if I could dx KOA in Denver, Here in central Indiana. I checked the first time at 6.00 p.m, and it was a mixture of a few very weak signals, couldnt make anything out. I checked again at 7.00, and there was a station coming in on 850 that sounded like it was right in the parking lot, I couldnt stay long enough to get an i.d. Later at 9.00 I could hear 3 stations coming in, two of them were Talking, and one was playing what sounded like Polka music. On the way home at 1.00 am, I could still hear 3 stations, but one was much stronger than the rest, this station had a guy talking with a British accent, I think it was probably KOA, but I never caught an i.d, can anyone help me out, with what these stations may be, I was dxing, just west of Indianapolis, at a truck stop on I-70. THANKS....

Dxing on 850 am.
There is an Am station in cleveland on that frequency.
could explain the Polka Music :eek:)

> Dxing on 850 am.
> There is an Am station in cleveland on that frequency.
> could explain the Polka Music :eek:)
>

Nah, unless ESPN Radio plays polka on overnights. . .:)

Most likely, it was really some Tejano music from reg. Mex. station KEYH in Houston.

What it won't be in WYLF 850 Penn Yan, NY which got swatted down several weeks ago with a big fine for not turning the power down at sunset. That might open 850 up for people in western NY, Ohio, Ontario, and PA.

> > Dxing on 850 am.
> > There is an Am station in cleveland on that frequency.
> > could explain the Polka Music :eek:)
> >
>
> Nah, unless ESPN Radio plays polka on overnights. . .:)
>
> Most likely, it was really some Tejano music from reg. Mex.
> station KEYH in Houston.
>

KEYH gets out there sometimes....I used to get them quite often in Memphis, and I've never heard music like they play anywhere else (at least this was two years ago). They call it Cumbia, but it sounds almost like reggae!

> Okay, last night at work, I decided to keep going to the car
> to check out 850, to see if I could dx KOA in Denver, Here
> in central Indiana. I checked the first time at 6.00 p.m,
> and it was a mixture of a few very weak signals, couldnt
> make anything out. I checked again at 7.00, and there was a
> station coming in on 850 that sounded like it was right in
> the parking lot, I couldnt stay long enough to get an i.d.
> Later at 9.00 I could hear 3 stations coming in, two of them
> were Talking, and one was playing what sounded like Polka
> music. On the way home at 1.00 am, I could still hear 3
> stations, but one was much stronger than the rest, this
> station had a guy talking with a British accent, I think it
> was probably KOA, but I never caught an i.d, can anyone help
> me out, with what these stations may be, I was dxing, just
> west of Indianapolis, at a truck stop on I-70. THANKS....

If the talk you heard was Michael Savage, you may have gotten WFTL "Live 85" in south Florida. I think they have 50 KW. Don't know if they get out that far.

For some info 'bout the station and its history, see WFTL.

73s from 954<P ID="signature">______________
HURRICANE INFO ON SOUTH FLORIDA RADIO
Updated For 2005 Season
(including NOAA stations)</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom