• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DTV to test radio audio channels and to lose TV local analog by 2/17/2009

A

AlvaJr

So if they notice that it will lose TV local analog by 2/17/2009 and goes on DTV of all time, so you know that it will no longer receive audio channels like TV analog along with AM and FM, so here's the special way that it will test a new DTV Radio along with AM and FM for better way that it will receive 79 channels like based on a regular cable in the '90s.

So do you think it will work or maybe testing the DTV Radio?

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that TV broadcasters should dedicate part of their digital bandwidth to broadcasting station audio and one or more other services in audio only, perhaps in a different format (but still digital) with additional error correction that would let people receive it on portable and other types of radios?

I think this would be a great idea, and if implemented correctly, could allow for great competition with the new Sirius XM radio. What if a few major station groups (think CBS, for example) decided to offer 50 audio channels, some from CBS Radio, some from AOL, on an ad supported basis, transmitted with plenty of error correction by CBS TV stations across the country? Local CBS affils could even insert local ads. And, even if the radios weren't super cheap, there would be no subscription fees. To consider public interest concerns, one of the 50 channels could be C-Span Radio, and perhaps they could use something like the DRM standard that is openly licensable. This would allow, for example, TBN TV stations to offer (using just a small portion of their digital bandwidth) a block of 10 or 20 audio channels, including audio of all their TV channels, plus other religious broadcasters.

So here's what we will offer 50 channels for to hear at home and to hear the radio walkman outside the signal are:

MTV
Discovery Channel
VH1
CBS
NBC
CW
Univision
Telemundo
Telefutura
ESPN
Nickelodeon
A&E
C-SPAN
Bravo
TBS
History Channel
TLC
Disney Channel
Cartoon Network
Lifetime
CNN
CNBC
TV Guide Network
ABC
My Network TV
Fox
TNT
USA Network
PBS
Sci-Fi
TruTV
E!
MSG
Bloomberg Channel
ION
Spike TV
FX
ABC Family
BET
Fox News Channel
Comedy Central
Food Network
AMC
WE
Oxygen
HGTV
The Weather Channel
NY1
GSN
Hallmark Channel

Doesn't interest me, I am officially an old timer.
I see digital stuff not working well every day, and have to fix or adjust them.
There are many more failure modes for digital schemes, and all the error-correction in the world isn't as robust
as analog. I'd rather be able to get the message than hear or see only 15-30 percent, with the rest blanked out.
When they come up with something that works in electrical storms, let me know.
A week or two we had a huge storm with tornadoes bearing down on us, and all the digital channels were
broken up, pixellated, and blanking audio over 50% of the time. They were of no use whatever.
Fortunately, the analog signal was still fine, but with minor static lines in the picture.
The audio was 100%.
For next year, the FCC has decided over-the-air TV is NOT going to be the place to go for severe weather info.
Way to go, FCC, what is the next downgrade we can expect?

Mother Nature is a b***h when you refuse to work with her.

I got called away to Mpls-St Paul on a breakdown call..."the Press is DOWN!
They were frothing at the mouth all day monday to get me up here while I was knee-deep fixing someone else's digital
failures until after midnight. THAT customer had let 6 problems pile up until it was very hard to diagnose.

When I got here tuesday afternoon, they had discovered one of the 2 power switches on the
size-preset console was turned off. They still had some regular old-fashioned electronic/mechanical problems to fix.
Now this press is 20 years old and they are beginning to see downtime that wouldn't happen if all this stuff were manually operated.
When "improvements" are more a source of problems than helpful, we should be wary.

I do my part by laughing at our folly, and explaining to customers the weaknesses of a "digital world."
There are not nearly enough people around who understand technology, but lots of marketers who push this stuff as
the newest, greatest thing with no understanding of the tradeoffs/vulnerabilities involved.
Then the end users think they can get by without hiring ( having to pay) someone who understands it and can keep it running.
( But they'll pay big $ for some IT guys, who can't fix the problem, either, unless it's a network issue)
They don't understand it, but fully believe the hype and marketing.
Until it doesn't work and they go into panic mode.
The new failures are almost always less servicable than old failures.
Very few of the IT guys know squat about electronics. It is amazing to me that they don't even know basic electrical theory.

I'm not too sure about the proposed channel list. Would all those programmers be willing to license the rights to their audio? How much is that going to cost? It probably can't be part of a free service.

On the other hand, you probably could get free/cheap rights for over the air networks, as well as networks like Fox News Talk & Fox Business which can always use more outlets for national ad sales (although, I guess, at least Fox News Talk might have to cover programs which already have a local affiliate with substitute programming, or perhaps simsub (Canadian style) where the local affiliate's version of a show would be carried instead of the national stream, so that local commercials would be heard.

AlvaJr said:
So if they notice that it will lose TV local analog by 2/17/2009 and goes on DTV of all time, so you know that it will no longer receive audio channels like TV analog along with AM and FM, so here's the special way that it will test a new DTV Radio along with AM and FM for better way that it will receive 79 channels like based on a regular cable in the '90s.
It wont sound anywhere near as good though!! (Analog sounds MUCH BETTER)

Ooops, I got it, how about if we get the Mobile TV to work, to hear and to watch tv outside the signal with no FM or AM radio just the Mobile TV because the Moble TV is SIMPLY THE BEST!!!

But I will thank so much for listening tv analog armband radio since i brought on 9/11/06 for the last about 2/1 years along with the new My Network TV, new CW TV, new host on Family Feud to replace Richard Karn is John O'Hurley and TPIR 35 Anniversary with Bob Barker until his final show and retirement on 6/15/07 for the last 50 years (except 9/12/05 in California only for the last 3/1 years along with 20th Anniversary of The Big Spin CA lottery with Pat Finn & Maiquel, so so long TV analog and aloha.

And why channels 2-13 doesn't receive any classic TV programming series like:

Any classic game shows like Mark Goodsons, Merv Griffins, Bob Stewarts and others
Any classic talk shows like Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Arsenio Hall and others
Any classic music series like Soul Train, Dance Party USA, Solid Gold and others
Any classic cookings like Madeline Cooks, Frugal Gourmet, Emeril and others
Any classic news
Any classic parades
Any classic fitness like Gilad, Denise Austin, Madeline Lewis and others
Any classic cartoons like Flintstones, Captain Planet, Jetsons an others
Any classic Miss USA, Miss Universe, Miss America and others
Any classic dramas like Melorse Place, Beverly Hills, 90210, Baywatch and others
Any classic soap operas
Any classic religious
and others...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom