• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Done deal. Emmis is selling to Entercom and Hubbard

http://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...cle_d16c9f60-2700-53da-a75c-be3a3d46cf59.html

KSHE and KPNT go to Hubbard. KFTK and KNOU go to Entercom.

So, I'm curious. Once this happens, think Entercom, which will own both the "news" and "talk" stations might make some adjustments?

I'm not in the market, but i get the impression from their websites that KMOX is basically almost all news all day, other than Rush. If that's the case, think they might move Rush to 97.1 and make the rest of KMOX all news all day?

I wasn't surprised that Emmis decided to sell off their St. Louis cluster with one half going to Entercom and the other going to Hubbard. In fact, this is a perfect opportunity for Hubbard and Entercom to expand their respective St. Louis clusters. Although I'm surprised that Entercom is acquiring KFTK since they already own KMOX. I would've seen Entercom acquire 105.7 The Point from Emmis given their commitment to the Alternative format, but with the addition of Now 96.3 to Entercom's expanded St. Louis cluster, they now have a wall of women in that market. My other question is how this deal would affect 1490 AM.

I'm not in the market, but i get the impression from their websites that KMOX is basically almost all news all day, other than Rush. If that's the case, think they might move Rush to 97.1 and make the rest of KMOX all news all day?

I would think KMOX and local programming moving to 96.3 and the syndicated fare moving to 1120 would be more likely. KMOX has been struggling with an aging audience for over a decade and is going to have to move to FM eventually. 96.3 is a better fit for KMOX than 97.1, which has a tower west of St. Charles near O'Fallon and Lake St. Louis. There's a reason KFTK is on 1490 and 98.7, and it's that 97.1 has some massive gaps in its coverage of the metro area.

Of course, 96.3 Now has finally started showing some signs of life and has become pretty competitive against KSLZ. So, it might be able to survive based on that.

I would think KMOX and local programming moving to 96.3 and the syndicated fare moving to 1120 would be more likely. KMOX has been struggling with an aging audience for over a decade and is going to have to move to FM eventually. 96.3 is a better fit for KMOX than 97.1, which has a tower west of St. Charles near O'Fallon and Lake St. Louis. There's a reason KFTK is on 1490 and 98.7, and it's that 97.1 has some massive gaps in its coverage of the metro area.

Of course, 96.3 Now has finally started showing some signs of life and has become pretty competitive against KSLZ. So, it might be able to survive based on that.

I just don't see a scenario where Now survives, its just too darn close musically to Y98. I am guessing the main reason for this purchase was to give KMOX a FM signal, as well as to increase market share for their whole cluster, obviously, but my guess is 97.1 ends up with some kind of rock format, 98.7/1490 become CBS Sports Radio; and KMOX-FM on 97.1 with a mixture of personalities from KFTK and KMOX, with the syndicated fare, including Limbaugh being relegated to the AM side of the dial with Cards and Blues simulcasting on both except during scheduling conflicts. Entercom doesn't want to put their flagship St Louis brand on a rimshot FM and a translator.

I just don't see a scenario where Now survives, its just too darn close musically to Y98. I am guessing the main reason for this purchase was to give KMOX a FM signal, as well as to increase market share for their whole cluster, obviously, but my guess is 97.1 ends up with some kind of rock format, 98.7/1490 become CBS Sports Radio; and KMOX-FM on 97.1 with a mixture of personalities from KFTK and KMOX, with the syndicated fare, including Limbaugh being relegated to the AM side of the dial with Cards and Blues simulcasting on both except during scheduling conflicts. Entercom doesn't want to put their flagship St Louis brand on a rimshot FM and a translator.

Now 96.3 seems to be doing well against Z107.7, so I wouldn't see that station getting flipped once Entercom begins operating that station. Besides, It's not inconceivable for a radio company to own an AC, Hot AC, and a CHR station in a single market. Look at Boston, Entercom owns an AC-Hot AC-CHR combo after acquiring Magic 106.7 from Beasley. Another question would be if Entercom really has a need to put KMOX on FM.

Now 96.3 seems to be doing well against Z107.7, so I wouldn't see that station getting flipped once Entercom begins operating that station. Besides, It's not inconceivable for a radio company to own an AC, Hot AC, and a CHR station in a single market. Look at Boston, Entercom owns an AC-Hot AC-CHR combo after acquiring Magic 106.7 from Beasley. Another question would be if Entercom really has a need to put KMOX on FM.

Emmis had the #1 billing cluster in St. Louis in 2017. 97.1 bills very well... Y98 is down significantly in target demos and KNOU has been a Hot AC for months. Not a lot of ratings difference between Y, Z, and KNOU recently. Yes, they could move it back to Top 40 and create a wall but I don't know if Rock would make sense. But why wouldn't you want KMOX and KFTK? A great combo for Entercom. Hubbard gets two great rock stations to add to Arch, WIL, and WXOS.

Ask Bonneville about a need to put a spoken word station on FM? They lost millions when they moved 620 Sports KTAR-AM to 98.7 ... Now 620 is a huge signal with no cash flow.

I wasn't surprised that Emmis decided to sell off their St. Louis cluster with one half going to Entercom and the other going to Hubbard. In fact, this is a perfect opportunity for Hubbard and Entercom to expand their respective St. Louis clusters. Although I'm surprised that Entercom is acquiring KFTK since they already own KMOX. I would've seen Entercom acquire 105.7 The Point from Emmis given their commitment to the Alternative format, but with the addition of Now 96.3 to Entercom's expanded St. Louis cluster, they now have a wall of women in that market. My other question is how this deal would affect 1490 AM.

So you think it's smart to sell the #1 billing cluster in the market? Not to say Emmis didn't have a good reason. They're extremely smart. But you acted as if this was a loser cluster with your comment. They were #1. Remind me not to hire you as my accountant. But Entercom and Hubbard are solid good companies and these stations will be well taken care of I'm sure.

So you think it's smart to sell the #1 billing cluster in the market? Not to say Emmis didn't have a good reason. They're extremely smart. But you acted as if this was a loser cluster with your comment. They were #1. Remind me not to hire you as my accountant.
It's best to brush off anything he says.

Surprised Entercom didn't want the country or classic rock instead. KMOX is doing much better then 97.1 Even noticed when Entercom took over CBS they left the classic rock stations in Boston and Seattle.

KMOX is doing much better then 97.1

In 25-54, KFTK is a full share point ahead of KMOX, which leans very, very old.

KFTK is 11th in 25-54, while KMOX is 15th.

Emmis will receive a total of $60 million for the St. Louis stations with Hubbard paying $45 million for KSHE and KPNT, and Entercom paying $15 million for KNOU AND KFTK-FM. An LMA is expected to start on March 1st.

Meanwhile at KTFK

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...r-social-media-induced-headache-for-entercom/

>>After first taking Jaime Allman off the air indefinitely today, Entercom has parted ways with the morning host of “FM NewsTalk 97.1” KFTK-FM Florissant/St. Louis MO...In late March, Allman tweeted that “I’ve been getting ready to ram a hot poker up David Hogg’s a--” directed at the Parkland High School shooting survivor who has become one of the biggest advocates of gun control legislation.

Good move from Entercom. That tweet crossed every line, right there. And Allman's a grown adult. Hogg is 17. MAJOR fail.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom