• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does SiriusXM have a mainstream AC anymore?

I thought RD had a SiriusXM section. I couldn’t seem to find it so I’m posting this here. Does SiriusXM have a station that plays mainstream AC with currents anymore? I know they have mosaic which is 1990s to 2010s.

How many currents, total, is the channel playing regularly? Or are there only eight getting any airplay? Twice a day is not heavy airplay by any definition.

There are only 8-9 currents. You're right, Mosaic does seem like a very gold-focused AC station. The currents get played at least twice that often on most Mainstream AC FM stations.

Adult Contemporary is one area where I'm not particularly enamored of SXM's offerings. Mosaic and The Pulse are both boring. The Pulse is a lame attempt at Hot AC.

The Blend used to be quite good but now plays too much sappy 70s MOR material.

I find myself liking the AC stations on the FM dial better than those offered by SXM.

Adult Contemporary is one area where I'm not particularly enamored of SXM's offerings. Mosaic and The Pulse are both boring. The Pulse is a lame attempt at Hot AC.

The Blend used to be quite good but now plays too much sappy 70s MOR material.

I find myself liking the AC stations on the FM dial better than those offered by SXM.
Echos of common complaints heard from a few terrestrial radio listeners. Terms like: 'cookie cutter', or 'boring' are common examples.
And yet, they still listen.

Echos of common complaints heard from a few terrestrial radio listeners. Terms like: 'cookie cutter', or 'boring' are common examples.
And yet, they still listen.
"Cookie cutter" = "they only play the best hits and no stiffs".

It's funny that the same big songs were hits in Yakima, Youngstown or York. That "cookie cutter" is shaped like the continental United States, I guess.

People who have SiriusXM do love to complain.
You're right, let's see:
I don't want to pay for a subscription, especially for music with no commercials.
I don't want to pay for a subscription for access to my favorite music or talk programming anywhere in the country.
They don't have enough yakky DJ's like the old days.
They have too many yakky DJ's.
Their AC format doesn't play what I think is AC.
I hate the new SXM app.
I lost my favorites when they changed to the new app. (which isn't true by the way, just in a different spot)
I hate that I need the SXM app to hear the additional streams.
I hate that the SXM app costs extra. (actually, it doesn't)

I'm sure I missed some.

You forgot audio quality and too many artist themed channels. :)

Personally, I'm quite happy with SXM overall. It is a far superior product to FM radio in most instances. I've been a continuous subscriber to satellite radio since autumn 2004.

I pay $6.06 a month (all-in) for all channels, which is an absolute bargain.

Personally, I'm quite happy with SXM overall. It is a far superior product to FM radio in most instances. I've been a continuous subscriber to satellite radio since autumn 2004.
I've got SXM in all but one of our vehicles and managed to get what amounts to a bulk rate. If I drive the one that doesn't have it, I'll just use Bluetooth(tm) from my phone and the SXM app. When we were on vacation in Hawaii a couple of years ago, my wife and I were able to listen to the Seahawks broadcast via the SXM app to the rental car with Apple Carplay.

Sooner or later AC stations are going to have drop the bulk of their 80s music. Mosaic is a model where AC should be before 2030.
As long as it keeps testing well and appealing to the right age groups, there is no expiration date to music. Just look at how many people in their teens and 20s are fans of Classic Rock music that even their parents are too young to remember from when it was new!

You're right, let's see:
I don't want to pay for a subscription, especially for music with no commercials.
I don't want to pay for a subscription for access to my favorite music or talk programming anywhere in the country.
They don't have enough yakky DJ's like the old days.
They have too many yakky DJ's.
Their AC format doesn't play what I think is AC.
I hate the new SXM app.
I lost my favorites when they changed to the new app. (which isn't true by the way, just in a different spot)
I hate that I need the SXM app to hear the additional streams.
I hate that the SXM app costs extra. (actually, it doesn't)

I'm sure I missed some.
Don't forget...

Nobody listens to the single-artist "payola" channels.

As long as it keeps testing well and appealing to the right age groups, there is no expiration date to music. Just look at how many people in their teens and 20s are fans of Classic Rock music that even their parents are too young to remember from when it was new!
Statistically insignificant compared to teens and 20s who are fans of their own generation's music. There have always been outliers with preferences for popular music of generations long past, and radio has never specifically catered to them. Stations that play 30-to-40-year-old songs are now programming for people who were teens and 20-somethings when those songs were popular. As those listeners fall into the 55+ advertising abyss, their old favorites will disappear from adult contemporary stations.

Back
Top Bottom