• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does Providence Need a Breeze?

After listening to Philadelphia’s 106.1 The Breeze recently, I wondered if Providence would benefit from a Breeze? I know that Coast runs the format on its HD3 channel, but hardly anyone has an HD radio or listens to one.

I like the format. It plays AC music that is almost never heard on the radio anymore. Moreover, such a station could cut into Lite’s long-running AC dominance in Providence. Given that Cumulus owns Lite, iHeart is the only prospect for a flip. Two stations come to mind:
1. Coast - could iHeart be more successful going after Lite rather than going after 92 Pro FM (which the current incarnation of Coast does, at least in terms of female listeners who are 30+).
2. B101 - this station does pretty well as is. But perhaps a move to the Breeze could better protect WHJY, as B101 currently plays some of the same rock leaning music that is on ‘HJY’s playlist.

What does everyone think?

At least for now, you probably won't see The Breeze or any Soft AC in a market that has only a few FM signals. Life is easier if you do a standard FM format, AC, Top 40, Mainstream Rock, etc. You hit your target audience and the agencies will buy time on your station.

However, isn't WPLM-FM a Soft AC? OK, it's picked up the beat in recent years but it started as a Soft AC and could return. It still calls itself Easy 99.1 and is a bit softer than WWLI and WMJX. Its primary signal falls a bit north and east of Providence. Unfortunately, hearing it in recent years, I thought it doesn't put a lot of effort in good programming practices or air personalities.

I think Easy 99.1 is outstanding, and is even better at the Soft AC format than most of the Breeze stations I’ve heard. First, the station is more live and local than nearly any station in Boston or Providence. Second, the variety of music they play is better than any Breeze station out there. And lastly, they have some excellent jocks. Some of their weekenders sound better than some full timers in Providence.

With that said, despite an enormous signal, there are many places in RI in which Easy’s signal doesn’t do the job. I’d hardly call it a local anywhere in RI. The signal does often do better in the summer, when tropo is more common.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom