• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do movie drive ins have permit to transmit on fm

Hi all my name is Bobby I operate www.woga-radio.com. I would like to put my station on fm in my community to cover less then half a mile.There is a movie drive in that covers way over half mile. Does anyone know if the fcc has a permit for drive ins.I read that you can not transmit over 200 feet thats stupit I live a mile from a train track and I can hear the trains a mile away.I looked into lpfm but it looks like thats only for special interest.It looks like I can only broadcast on the internet for now.If anyone knows more about the 200 feet thing please let me know.Thank you for your time. Bobby

If their antenna is up on top of the screen, they could be pt 15 compliant, and still get 1/2 mile in some instances.
That distance is wildly optimistic and seems unlikely.....

Even though it may be non-compliant, I wouldn't go trying to make trouble for them.

Unless you also have a tall place for an antenna, the 200 feet prediction for a part 15 compliant FM transmitter is most likely.

If you'd like to have some meaningful coverage legally you must use pt 15 AM. It would do the quarter to half-mile nicely.

Radio Greg FM formerly of northern Indiana achieve a full half mile radius with full quieting no less with a simple FCC Type Accepted FM transmitter. He mounted the unit 40 feet up in the air in a weather proof enclosure and it allowed him to reach up to 2/3rd's of a mile in at least one direction and half a mile in the others. So, yes you can do it and remain legal.

Also I read that a campus fm station could cover the campus with part 15 whatever the range and if you own land say half mile radius you could cover your own land! so I live way out in the country in a communite with over 100 one acre lots own by one person and the lot that I have is in the middle of the lots so I could broadcast to most of the homes with out going outside of his land, if this person gives me permission to cover his land could I do that?Bobby

woga-radio.com said:
Also I read that a campus fm station could cover the campus with part 15 whatever the range and if you own land say half mile radius you could cover your own land! so I live way out in the country in a communite with over 100 one acre lots own by one person and the lot that I have is in the middle of the lots so I could broadcast to most of the homes with out going outside of his land, if this person gives me permission to cover his land could I do that?Bobby

No. Not sure what you read, but you should be guided by the FCC Rules given in Part 15.

Campus coverage applies to campuses, only, and has severe limitations for fields radiated beyond the campus borders.

Property owners (either you and/or your neighbors) cannot supply legal permission to exceed the coverage limits given in Part 15.

//

I usually run my part 15 when I go on vacation to the beach. This year I was on the 12th floor, with the transmitter
(nothing more than the transmitter module out of a Griffin RoadTrip for iPod) on the balcony railing, and got 1/2 mile easily on a clear frequency.

First off, I'm really surprised that there's any drive-in theaters anymore in America, especially with the advent of multiplexes and home theaters. That being said, I had never seen any drive-in use an FM signal in all my years and I remember at lease one using AM after having patrons drive off with speakers still attached, damaged doors and windows, etc.

We saw Get Smart just last weekend at the 49'er Drive In, Valparaiso, In.

Audio on FM 88.5.
I didn't think to check the coverage as we left.

The old drive inn in Simi Valley, California use to broadcast in stereo on FM. The drive inn was featured in the movie "The Thing Called Love" with River Phoenix, Samantha Mathis (of Pump Up The Volume fame) & Dermot Mulroney, the Theater was converted to "The Crest Drive Inn" for the movie. In the movie the couple is sitting up on a hill watching the movie playing down at the drive inn, in real life we would park up on that hill ,and watch the movie and listen in stereo without noise (Lovers Lane with a free movie). The antenna was a short whip mounted just outside the projector booth, probably not 11 feet off the ground. Not only could we hear it behind the drive inn, but it also covered the large condo community next door and another community across the highway and down Los Angeles Ave to Madera Rd including the K-mart shopping center; Probably 5000 folks in the coverage area, not to mention a major intersection. Not only was the station on the air to play movies, but for the Swap Meet where it played shows from a local DJ intended for the intermission. The Drive Inn is now another large condo community, some of the old drives in the LA area broadcast in AM stereo using a carrier current system.

You can have the multiplexes; where half the audience is yakking on their cell phones, or making some other racket.

Steve
www.knjoradio.com

woga-radio.com said:
You are mixing up rules here. Part 15 FM is severely limited in terms of field strength. You are lookin gat the AM Part 15 rules, which allows for field strenght limits at the borders of a school's property.

Bill DeFelice said:
First off, I'm really surprised that there's any drive-in theaters anymore in America, especially with the advent of multiplexes and home theaters. That being said, I had never seen any drive-in use an FM signal in all my years and I remember at lease one using AM after having patrons drive off with speakers still attached, damaged doors and windows, etc.

Drive-ins are making a small comeback, especially in the Southeast. Most have a double-feature, the admission is cheaper, the food better (plus, you can easily smuggle in your own picnic supper or fast food) ... and BEST OF ALL: no cellphones or obnoxious chatter while you're trying to watch the friggin' movie.

We have two drive-ins in our area (Savannah, Ga.): one ~60 miles away in Jesup, Ga., and another one 35-ish miles in Beaufort, S.C. Both transmit audio on Part-15 FMs ... ditto for the one in Blue Ridge, Ga. (in business since the '50s) and a four-screen drive-in plex that opened recently outside Dothan, Ala. http://www.continentalcinemas.com/locations/drivein4.htm

We saw a flick there while at my parents' for Thanksgiving. The audio carries quite nicely ... the one in Dothan could be heard a mile away, while I tracked the FM audio from the Jesup drive-in for all of two miles up US-84!

The FM sound at the drive-ins I've visited are good, and with a with a decent audio system, you can crank it up and have a good sound experience, if only 2.0 (or 2.1 if you have a subwoofer in your car). Not too shabby.

--Russell W.
Savannah Ga.

I know a particular drive-in in the Upper Midwest (don't want to rat them out)
where I was able to drive almost 3 miles before the movie sound faded out! :eek:

FreddyE1977 said:
I know a particular drive-in in the Upper Midwest (don't want to rat them out)
where I was able to drive almost 3 miles before the movie sound faded out! :eek:

No matter how bad your antenna or car radio, you're gonna be able to pick that one up in the parking lot.

If you have 2 subwoofers is that 2.2 audio? I'm not up on my modern audio-designations.....
Can these designators be back-applied to older gear?

What's one bass-midrange driver, one passive woofer, two passive midranges, and five active tweeters called?
A 1.1.2.5 - ( 1 x 104) system?
I'd like to know, cuz that's what's in my 1936 Philco 116X now. I added the 5 piezo tweeters and a 10 khz -42db notch filter.

About 10 years ago, I had setup a low powered FM transmitter for a drive-in located in Newberg, Oregon. It had a directional antenna beamed directly at the parking area only.

They are still in operation today, running movies from April - October. The frequency is at 96.5, and they also have an AM transmitter on 830 Khz.

-Glenn

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom