• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do lower charting songs make good recurrents/golds?

I see CHRs do this all the time in medium/small markets, and even in some large markets. The most notable large-market example is "Mo' Money Mo' Problems", a #27 leaker that ended up getting by far the most spins out of any song from 2000 or prior. Over 150 spins per week, sometimes!

While you'll never hear Fleetwood Mac on the gold or recurrent list for a CHR, the most popular of that group's songs today were mostly relative stiffs when new. While Fleetwood Mac had a couple of number ones, the vast majority of its hits peaked in the 20's and likely get more play on classic hits and classic rock stations than they ever got new.

Some of those, like "Landslide," "The Chain," "Gold Dust Woman," and others were album tracks. NEVER got any "top 40" airplay.

Some of those, like "Landslide," "The Chain," "Gold Dust Woman," and others were album tracks. NEVER got any "top 40" airplay.

However, Landslide reached #12 in the AC charts. The Chain and Gold Dust Woman got airplay on rock stations.

Landslide was then covered by the Dixie Chicks in the 90s, who took it to #1.

Somehow or other, these songs reached large audiences, who respond positively to them in music research. Thus they get played.

However, Landslide reached #12 in the AC charts.
Didn't have to be a single to get AC airplay, or make AC charts.
The Chain and Gold Dust Woman got airplay on rock stations.
Not the same thing. See above. We're talking top 40 here.
2003, and was not a pop #1.
Somehow or other, these songs reached large audiences, who respond positively to them in music research. Thus they get played.
I still remember the Mix 92.9 dj referring to the Mac version of "Landslide" as the definitive version, which is notable considering that they were one of the few stations ever to play both versions.

Didn't have to be a single to get AC airplay, or make AC charts. Not the same thing.

But it WAS released as a single, from the Live album in 1998. It's sold over a million copies.

Once again, it doesn't matter. The reason why these songs are getting airplay now is because somehow or other, they were heard by people who these stations want to reach.

It could be from another format or another platform. Radio stations aren't in the music business, and they don't care if a song didn't get Top 40 airplay when it was released, or even if it was ever released as a single. Songs are songs, and they are all fair game once they reach the public awareness. There are no rules that a station has to only draw on songs that got Top 40 airplay in order to be played now. There are rock songs that get airplay now on classic hits, and Top 40 songs that are getting airplay on classic rock.

I see CHRs do this all the time in medium/small markets, and even in some large markets. The most notable large-market example is "Mo' Money Mo' Problems", a #27 leaker that ended up getting by far the most spins out of any song from 2000 or prior. Over 150 spins per week, sometimes!

Great hook and sample. Sound of Nostalgia. Classic Hip Hop that is top 40 friendly. It is in rotation late afternoon & nights on our Hot AC with occasional spins. However, it is starting to get some burn now.

Yeah, those disrespectful Dixie Chicks got to #7 in early 2003 on the Hot 100, far from a number one. A terrible remake if you ask. None of their music is worth listening too.

Aren't you the guy who said "Don't tell me it was a hit because it wasn't?"

Actually, the song that was released as a single in 1998 was "Silver Spring." I remember it well. How can anyone on this board take you seriously if you can't even get your facts straight? Several errors by you that I have caught in this thread so far.

Actually, the song that was released as a single in 1998 was "Silver Spring." I remember it well. How can anyone on this board take you seriously if you can't even get your facts straight? Several errors by you that I have caught in this thread so far.

Wow...why so angry?

The FACT is that there were several singles released by Fleetwood Mac that year, not just one. Here is the Wikipedia entry for their album The Dance:

"This album spawned three singles in the USA: "Landslide", "The Chain" and "Silver Springs", and earned the band three Grammy nominations in 1998, in the categories "Best Pop Album", "Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo with Vocal" for "The Chain" and "Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals" for "Silver Springs". A fourth single, "Temporary One," was released in some European markets."

So we're both right!

But getting back to the topic of this thread, I don't consider the word "hit" to be a function strictly of Top 40 chart position. As I've said, there are songs that have become hits AFTER their initial chart run. That's what this thread is about.

It had already been a "hit" by then for well over 20 years. And by 1998, it didn't have to be released as a single to make the charts.

Very few songs are "hits" for 20 years. Many more were hits, but are not any more.

Very few songs are "hits" for 20 years. Many more were hits, but are not any more.

Once a hit, always a hit. You can simply ask someone......Have you heard Elton John's "Diamonds", his latest album with many of his hits featured on it? That applies to all artists. They may not be "hits" (as in researched songs on the station playlist), but they are still hits.

Once a hit, always a hit. You can simply ask someone......Have you heard Elton John's "Diamonds", his latest album with many of his hits featured on it? That applies to all artists. They may not be "hits" (as in researched songs on the station playlist), but they are still hits.

When you talk with actual listeners, when a song stops being a hit you hear statements like "I used to like it but I don't any more".

Hit is a moment in time. A long moment for some songs, a very brief one for others. And it is steeped in context: if I don't like Van Halen and hair bands, then there is no song from that genre that is a hit to me.

The most important "hit parade" is each individual's personal list of favorites and well-liked songs.

Marcarena, Tiptoe Thru The Tulips, Gangnam Style, and Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft were also hits too. That was then, this is now (No pun, that was a hit for the Monkees too).

Yeah, those disrespectful Dixie Chicks got to #7 in early 2003 on the Hot 100, far from a number one. A terrible remake if you ask. None of their music is worth listening too.
Yeah, interesting that it got AC play as a hit by the DCs, then (thanks largely to Natalie's big mouth) recurrent airplay by Fleetwood Mac. AC probably would have ignored Mac's version (27 years old by then) except that they had to play something for that song, and the DCs were toxic to radio by then. Still are.

The FACT is that there were several singles released by Fleetwood Mac that year, not just one. Here is the Wikipedia entry for their album The Dance:
"This album spawned three singles in the USA: "Landslide", "The Chain" and "Silver Springs", and earned the band three Grammy nominations in 1998, in the categories "Best Pop Album", "Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo with Vocal" for "The Chain" and "Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals" for "Silver Springs". A fourth single, "Temporary One," was released in some European markets."
So we're both right!
But getting back to the topic of this thread, I don't consider the word "hit" to be a function strictly of Top 40 chart position. As I've said, there are songs that have become hits AFTER their initial chart run. That's what this thread is about.
Okay fair enough. I only remember "Silver Spring" getting any airplay on VH-1. I had to go to youtube to see the live performance of "Landslide," and let's just say if it was the same one from the album, I was not impressed. Stevie seemed to be phoning it in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom