• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do Legal IDs Matter Anymore?

Yes. 47 CFR 73.1201(b)(1) says "A radio station operating in DAB hybrid mode or extended hybrid mode shall identify its digital signal, including any free multicast audio programming streams, in a manner that appropriately alerts its audience to the fact that it is listening to a digital audio broadcast".

So it has to be mentioned, but in whatever way the licensee deems appropriate.
I wish the FCC was more specific about how to identify the HD streams on radio. The way that the law is written doesn't specify a specific format, or clarify if the "HD" or "HD1" is a legal insert between the call sign and city of license. I've heard the HD or HD1 identified in a lot of different ways/formats.

I know a lot of stations that do their legal id wrong. One of WSOC-FM's current ids goes "WSOC-FM in HD Charlotte". "In" is not allowed between the callsign and city of license. WBAV-FM often leaves the "FM" off of their legal id. WBAV-FM never dropped the "FM" from when they had to differentiate from WBAV-AM, and the FM is still part of their legal callsign. The local iHeart and Radio One stations don't mention their HD channels at all, unless we're talking about a subchannel.

I've never heard of a station being cited for just legal ids though. I have heard of the FCC adding it on in addition to other things. I remember maybe 10 years ago reading that a station got cited for the legal id in addition to issues and programs lists, EEO reports and some other stuff.

KNBR is non-directional, with a single tower. It would be rather unusual for such a facility to not have quite good bandwidth.
Be that as it may, KNBR never ran HD. Co-owned KTCT ("KNBR 1050") did, but doesn't any more.

Correction. KVIL also has dual ID. The rest just add other cities onto the city of license, which is legal as long as the COL is first. You could say "KESS, Benbrook, Dallas, Houston and El Paso" if you wanted to.
Back when KFXR was stunting with an all Beatles format they added Liverpool to the legal ID.

Back in the 1980s, KLLS in San Antonio use this as a legal ID: San Antonio spells class K-L-L-S. I asked them why not say "The Alamo City spells class, K-L-L-S, San Antonio.

There was a Red Dirt/Americana station with studios in Stephenville, Texas that used the handle "Mandatory FM". They recorded their top of hour, took out breaths and sped it up. You could not understand any of it. By frequency, they were a Coleman station.

Back in the 1980s, KLLS in San Antonio use this as a legal ID: San Antonio spells class K-L-L-S. I asked them why not say "The Alamo City spells class, K-L-L-S, San Antonio.

Did they answer?

In Los Angeles, there was a rash of reverse IDs from about 1968 to 1970.

"(Bill Drake) "From Los Angeles, more music. (Johnny Mann Singers) "KHJ"

"(Announcer) "Serving the Southland from Pasadena" (jingle singers) "KRLA"

(jingle singers) "Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles---KFI 640."

Just caught on some airchecks I took last week:

"KKAL San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles" (California).

Oops. KKAL is licensed to Paso Robles. It makes a big deal out of being a wine-country lifestyle kind of station, which means they're targeting Paso Robles.

To be pedantic about it, Paso Robles' official name is "El Paso de Robles" but you only see that on a few signs and the water treatment plant.

There was a Red Dirt/Americana station with studios in Stephenville, Texas that used the handle "Mandatory FM". They recorded their top of hour, took out breaths and sped it up. You could not understand any of it. By frequency, they were a Coleman station.
KHYI Howe has an ID where you cannot even hear the word HOWE because it's sped up so fast, all you hear is Dallas//Ft. Worth.

I’ve heard it on YouTube. Which baffles me. How many in DFW proper are listening to 95.3?
Since the market includes Denton and Collin counties and they cover them significantly, they are considered rimshots to the northern part of the market, but they are not "home" to the MSA.

I remember back in the early 2000s KONO AM / FM you could tell it was on cassette because sometimes it would fade out but I can remember it to this day! It went like this very fast, “KONO FM HELOTES, KONO AM SAN ANTONIO”

Have the KILL call letters ever been assigned anywhere?

How about 87 seconds of translator and full-power IDs from the "Covenant Network" of Missouri, Illinois, and other states?

(The distortion was on the original broadcast.)

Oh good gravy....Well, I stand corrected now.....
Don't think so. The closest I know is KLLR (which ironically belongs to a K-Love station) and KLLI.
I saw KILL on the RECnet Spare Call Sign List and it got me wondering.......

Back
Top Bottom