• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do any AC stations still play these tracks?

KOSI in Denver is an interesting AC station. They overall sound like an AC station did 5-10 years ago. They have yet to really evolve in to the current definition of the format, still playing a lot of 70s and 80s music and just a handful of safe currents.

Seems to me like some of these AC stations need to decide if they're going to be Hot AC, or Adult/Classic Hits. The AC format is in the midst of a very long, messy transitional period.

Perhaps I wrote WSPA-FM off too soon. This month, they've resurrected many titles I thought I'd never hear them play again.

Peter Cetera, Spandau Ballet, Breathe (!), softer Phil Collins and Bryan Adams, Richard Marx, Andy Gibb, Billy Joel, Don Henley (stuff like "Heart of the Matter" and "End of the Innocence" that nobody seems to play these days), Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" (next to no AC's play that), softer Mariah Carey, Chicago, Sinead O'Connor etc.

I'm just thrilled because this station tossed many of the AC "staples" aside a couple of years ago in favor of more upbeat stuff, and I'm thrilled to see a lot of these songs coming back around here.

How about "One Good Woman" by Peter Cetera? Heard it late last night on KQFM 100.1 Hermiston, Oregon (which airs Cumulus' Hits and Favorites satellite format). I hardly hear that song anywhere anymore. It's just like "Restless Heart", almost no airplay.
Over on that great KSRW in Bishop, CA, I heard a rare "Ain't No Sunshine" cover by a man and a woman who I cannot ID, even with a Google search. The lyrics are a little different and the man sounds like Luther Vandross but I don't think it is him. It's one of those slow R&B songs with a harmonica instrumental halfway through.
I also heard "Cold Duck" by Al Jarreau. I think I have heard it over on KOAZ in Albuquerque (103.7 The Oasis) and it is a smooth jazz vocal from 2004.
"With a Little Luck" Paul McCartney from 1978 also heard...
"I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever" by Jimmy Buffett, not sure how old it is but I heard it there as well...and a unknown "Low Rider" jazz cover, one of those guitarists, cannot tell who did it however but I like it!

-crainbebo

Last edited:
While most Billy Joel tracks are still a staple on A/C, does anyone ever hear "A Matter Of Trust", "Allentown" or "Keeping The Faith" ?

While most Billy Joel tracks are still a staple on A/C, does anyone ever hear "A Matter Of Trust", "Allentown" or "Keeping The Faith" ?

WILV still plays A Matter of Trust. They'll play Keeping The Faith once in a while, but haven't touched Allentown in a long time. I also haven't heard All About Soul either. You're more likely to hear My Life, It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me, Piano Man, Only The Good Die Young, Big Shot, Uptown Girl, & We Didn't Start The Fire, & I Go To Extremes. Once in a blue moon, I might hear Pressure, The Stranger, Moving Out (Anthony's song), Just The Way You Are, The Longest Time, You're Only Human (Second Wind), & The River of Dreams.

WILV still plays A Matter of Trust. They'll play Keeping The Faith once in a while, but haven't touched Allentown in a long time. I also haven't heard All About Soul either. You're more likely to hear My Life, It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me, Piano Man, Only The Good Die Young, Big Shot, Uptown Girl, & We Didn't Start The Fire, & I Go To Extremes. Once in a blue moon, I might hear Pressure, The Stranger, Moving Out (Anthony's song), Just The Way You Are, The Longest Time, You're Only Human (Second Wind), & The River of Dreams.
And I'm sure you'll hear all of those on Sirius/XM 40s on 4 during the next few months, while the fans of real music complain and drop their subscriptions.

I hear "Piano Man", "Just the Way You Are" and other softer numbers on America's Best Music. No, that's not AC, but that's the type of format where a lot of what used to be considered AC is showing up. And "Uptown Girl" and "Tell Her about It" are there too, I think. And "Don't Ask Me Why". I used to think that one sounded strange but there's a piano solo that's perfect for the format. I haven't heard "The Longest Time" in the longest time, or "An Innocent Man", but they certainly belong.

I had been hearing "(I Wanna) Take Forever Tonight" by Peter Cetera and Crystal Bernard on WLYF lately. I also heard "Love Will Keep Us Alive" by The Eagles during the Delilah show (Delilah's playlist) on KMGL for quite some time in the Fall of last year. I don't think you hear those songs on AC's anymore.

KOSI in Denver is an interesting AC station. They overall sound like an AC station did 5-10 years ago. They have yet to really evolve in to the current definition of the format, still playing a lot of 70s and 80s music and just a handful of safe currents.

Seems to me like some of these AC stations need to decide if they're going to be Hot AC, or Adult/Classic Hits. The AC format is in the midst of a very long, messy transitional period.

Yep, same for WLMG in New Orleans and WRVR in Memphis, they still sounded like an AC 5-10 years ago.

The 90s were the decade where music changes rapidly with the birth of Alternative Rock and Hip-Hop. CHR's had once struggled in the early 90s until they could evolve their music entirely. Then Hot AC's had it's turn to struggle through the late 90's until they could evolve their way out of the gold-based songs by Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart, and Sting into edgy songs by Third Eye Blind, Semisonic, and The Wallflowers. Now its turn for AC's to go through the same process. Eventually, a decade or two from now, Classic Hits will run into the same issue as well.

KQFM (Cumulus/ABC Hits & Favorites) RULES! (100.1 Hermiston, OR) Heard on Sunday...
"Wild Wild West" Escape Club (when was the last time anyone heard that? 1990?)
"Lady in Red" Chris De Burgh (a staple way back when on AC stations, but hardly heard anymore)
"One Good Woman" Peter Cetera (it's always "The Glory of Love" for me, not this one.)

-crainbebo

"Lady in Red" is on America's Best Music, which is not AC.

I heard a new song (new to me, anyway) on that format this morning. I thought I heard Jeff Rollins say "Sunset" but I can't find anything on that. The vocalist sounded like Norah Jones.

Norah Jones does have a song called "Sunrise." It was released in 2004.

"WILV still plays A Matter of Trust. They'll play Keeping The Faith once in a while, but haven't touched Allentown in a long time. I also haven't heard All About Soul either. You're more likely to hear My Life, It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me, Piano Man, Only The Good Die Young, Big Shot, Uptown Girl, & We Didn't Start The Fire, & I Go To Extremes. Once in a blue moon, I might hear Pressure, The Stranger, Moving Out (Anthony's song), Just The Way You Are, The Longest Time, You're Only Human (Second Wind), & The River of Dreams."

Allentown, All About Soul, and a few others are not the strongest tracks,and if played in a limited rotation.

I've heard Sunrise on smooth jazz stations and maybe one or two Soft ACs. Most ACs will play "Don't Know Why".
Heard "Jump! For My Love" Pointer Sisters the other day on KQFM-100.1 Hermiston, OR (Cumulus AC). Don't hear it as much as I used to years ago.
Also heard on KSRW in Independence, CA lately:
"Hopelessly Addicted" by the Corrs (1997) this wasn't even a single! It gets played every time I put on the stream. ??? The only Corrs song I usually hear is "Breathless."
"Turn Me On" Norah Jones - another 2002 "Come Away with Me" CD single I think
"Second Chance" - 38 Special (hard to hear nowadays)
"Ready or Not" After 7 (when was the last time someone heard this R&B Soft Rock single? 1995? What a treat!)

-crainbebo

Last edited:
I heard "Second Chance" during an "Awesome 80's Weekend" on KMGL in Oklahoma City back in January and February of this year.
I still hear "Little Lies" by Fleetwood Mac on KMGL occasionally. Not many other AC's play "Little Lies" these days, nor the past 4 years. The only AC's that I know plays "Little Lies" besides KMGL is KYMG in Anchorage, AK (recently), KOIT in San Francisco (for some time in 2011-2012), and WMGF in Orlando (for some time in 2012).

KYMG is a pretty decent Clear Channel AC out of Anchorage. It pretty much sounds like an AC 5-10 years ago. You still hear a fair amount of 70s and 80s along with safe currents.

Last edited:
KISC 98.1 in Spokane is starting to play "Unbreak My Heart" Toni Braxton and "Raspberry Beret" Prince. Very odd considering it's Cheap Channel.

-crainbebo

Heard last night on KQFM 100.1 - about 1:00AM actually...
"When I Fall In Love" by Natalie Cole! Not the Nat King/Natalie duet one that some smooth jazz/soft AC ones played, but the 1987 cover recording - the slow, love song. A very good version and Natalie's vocals are great!

-crainbebo

K-104.7 Charlotte NC, one of the recent converts to a sound that some would describe as Hot AC even though AC sounds like this now, played "Kiss on My List". That's just weird.

Rarer Elton John heard both on KQFM 100.1 Hermiston, OR - and get this, Clear Channel 99.9 KMXA Minot, ND! "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" from 1988. Most ACs wouldn't give a darn about that song.
I also heard "Opposites Attract" Paula Abdul on KQFM (which is Cumulus Hits and Favorites), no one would air Paula Abdul besides maybe a "Straight Up" here and there.
I also have heard "It Might Be You" by Stephen Bishop, from the Tootsie movie, in the overnight hours on the same satellite network. KQFM doesn't take over with commercials and most of the "in-between" lost AC songs are left intact.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom