• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DM stations might breathe easier...no KMGO?

Application Search Details
File Number: BPH-20091120AAK
Call Sign: KMGO
Facility Id: 35126
FRN: 0003777455
Applicant Name: KMGO, INC.
Frequency: 98.7
Channel: 254
Community of License: CENTERVILLE, IA
Application Type: MINOR CHANGE TO A LICENSED FACILITY
Status Date: 12/22/2009
Expiration Date: 12/22/2012

It appears the CP for the 450 meter C0 west of Albia may be winding down. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we see a renewal request come through in the next week or so. (Can CPs for existing stations be renewed indefinitely?)

Probably just as well that it's over. That would have been some megabucks to build such a tall tower that would have had a good but second tier signal into the DM market.

Their existing antenna system is (I believe) the original from when it signed on as KCOG-FM in 1975. Now, maybe they can focus on a nice 750 footer between Moravia and Blakesburg. And that's the last I'll harp on that topic....

I'm not sure the economics of a new tower closer to Ottumwa would make sense, unless the current tower has structural issues and needs replacement. While the signal would be improved a bit, KMGO has done quite well with the signal they currently have.

I'm not sure the economics of a new tower closer to Ottumwa would make sense, unless the current tower has structural issues and needs replacement. While the signal would be improved a bit, KMGO has done quite well with the signal they currently have.
I wouldn't say they've done "quite well." They just stay open but don't really do anything special or even have much a sales staff to do much more than break even. Not a lot of money in this group of stations and not a whole lot of public support as a person with high rank in the station could probably make the list for ten most hated citizens in the area. Morning show and afternoon drive are ok, evenings are boring with the lackluster host referred to above.

I'd say KMGO, KCOG and KEDB are way they will be staying unless someone can buy them. KCOG is pretty much just the forgotten child of the group, KEDB is on a dying format with Shannon's oldies.

KMGO could easily be made a five-star radio station in the right hands. Sadly, it would take a very pretty penny, compared to what this station is worth based on the income they make (not much), to pry the owners from it. They got over their head with their DSM wishes and now pretty much spend their most of their focus on Ottumwa despite their main studios being in Centerville.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom