• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Digital radio in HD..

radiopilot

Inactive
Inactive User
¿Quién se compra una radio digital de HD ahora a escuchar los programas de radio que son difusión en Puerto Rico?

¿Cualquier persona compró una radio de HD para conseguir el formato digital?

Gracias por su repuesta para este estudio...

Radiopilot

radiopilot said:
¿Quién se compra una radio digital de HD ahora a escuchar los programas de radio que son difusión en Puerto Rico?

You mean "¿Quién compraría un radio digital HD para escucar los programas que se transmiten digitalmente ahora en la Isla?" Your Spanish is almost incoherent.

Probably the people who will buy will be the listeners of Cadena Salsoul and Fidelity, the two first networs to sign with iBiquity back when I was consulting the company that owns them. Salsoul has been #1 in Puerto Rico for 21 years, which is a top 50 market record recognized by Inside Radio a year ago.

I don't even know what you mean by that.

If you are asking if anyone bought an HD radio to hear one of the HD radio stations, the answer is "yes" as Radio Shack has them on sale there.

DavidEduardo said:
radiopilot said:

You mean "¿Quién compraría un radio digital HD para escucar los programas que se transmiten digitalmente ahora en la Isla?" Your Spanish is almost incoherent.

Probably the people who will buy will be the listeners of Cadena Salsoul and Fidelity, the two first networs to sign with iBiquity back when I was consulting the company that owns them. Salsoul has been #1 in Puerto Rico for 21 years, which is a top 50 market record recognized by Inside Radio a year ago.

NO.... You are asking 'WHO would buy an HD radio'.... I'm asking WHO bought (past tense) the radio to listen to the HD broadcast...

I don't even know what you mean by that.

If you are asking if anyone bought an HD radio to hear one of the HD radio stations, the answer is "yes" as Radio Shack has them on sale there.

"Yes' by who? I don't understand David... Did you personally walk these Puerto Ricans to the Radio Shack to buy these HD radios?

My parents presently live in 'Florida' remember that town, my entire family lives in Puerto Rico since they left Spain back in the 1890's... they live throughout Puerto Rico and I go there very often.... say twice a year... Yeah we have a house in Vega Baja... So to say that you know for a fact about all the Puerto Ricans buying the Radio Shack HD's, I'd like to see real proof of that!

My brother that is a real techno junkie has almost every electronic media toy and yet even in San Juan where supposedly the HD signal is broadcast, he doesn't have the HD radio and even told me he's not getting one... 'For what' was his answer and why buy something to get the music he currently enjoys now....

Just like you said the Hispanics are buying these HD radios in Texas.. but the Dallas/Ft. Worth board has a different take on it... also the Hispanic Programming sure has alot of HD listeners as well?

When you have this definative proof, David please post it.

Radiopilot

radiopilot said:
NO.... You are asking 'WHO would buy an HD radio'.... I'm asking WHO bought (past tense) the radio to listen to the HD broadcast...

Then your syntax is even worse than I thought.

In any case, there is zero "on Island" participation in this group. It's all Continentals. Ask Ing. Luis A. Soto, President of UnoRadio group, the most successful broadcaster in PR why he put HD on 6 FMs to start... there must be a reason why the highest rated and highest billing group would do this, don't you think? I mean, they are not stupid.

"Yes' by who? I don't understand David... Did you personally walk these Puerto Ricans to the Radio Shack to buy these HD radios?

No, but there is reporting of some sales.

My parents presently live in 'Florida' remember that town, my entire family lives in Puerto Rico since they left Spain back in the 1890's... they live throughout Puerto Rico and I go there very often.... say twice a year... Yeah we have a house in Vega Baja... So to say that you know for a fact about all the Puerto Ricans buying the Radio Shack HD's, I'd like to see real proof of that!

No, I know from what my contacts in PR have told me. There is growing interest, especially since there is no satellite radio marketed in PR... I talk to broadcasters there rather regularly (as in, "at least every day") In the last 36 years, I have had the #1 station for over 30 of those years, so I have quite a bit of knowledge of the market and market behaviour... in fact, I am in Isla Verde, PR right now ready to do some market research during the next week and visiting my family.

My brother that is a real techno junkie has almost every electronic media toy and yet even in San Juan where supposedly the HD signal is broadcast, he doesn't have the HD radio and even told me he's not getting one... 'For what' was his answer and why buy something to get the music he currently enjoys now....

That's his choice. I am sure some of the other 1.5 million listeners to Salsoul and Fidelity will buy the HD receivers, as will those of WKAQ AM & FM who are converting shortly.

Just like you said the Hispanics are buying these HD radios in Texas.. but the Dallas/Ft. Worth board has a different take on it... also the Hispanic Programming sure has alot of HD listeners as well?

The Texas-wide HD Tejano network out of KXTN in San Antonio gets half its morning show calls out of market. That indicates to us that there may be tens of thousands of users of HD among Tejano partisans... and I have never seen a Tejano fan post on any of these boards, by the way. On air on 99.1, Tejano had about a 1.4 share and a cume of about 125,000 persons. If just 20% buy HD radios, taht is 25 thousand just in Dallas. We think, projecting the calls, that there may have been about 100 thousand to 125 thousand radios sold to get the Tejano format in Houston, Dallas, Austin, McAllen (LRGV) and El PAso.

There are no sales figures. But based on response, and our own in house monitoring we feel safe in our assumptions, which is why we spent about a half million dollars to create the network.

[/quote]

DavidEduardo said:
radiopilot said:

Then your syntax is even worse than I thought.

In any case, there is zero "on Island" participation in this group. It's all Continentals. Ask Ing. Luis A. Soto, President of UnoRadio group, the most successful broadcaster in PR why he put HD on 6 FMs to start... there must be a reason why the highest rated and highest billing group would do this, don't you think? I mean, they are not stupid.

No, but there is reporting of some sales.

No, I know from what my contacts in PR have told me. There is growing interest, especially since there is no satellite radio marketed in PR... I talk to broadcasters there rather regularly (as in, "at least every day") In the last 36 years, I have had the #1 station for over 30 of those years, so I have quite a bit of knowledge of the market and market behaviour... in fact, I am in Isla Verde, PR right now ready to do some market research during the next week and visiting my family.

That's his choice. I am sure some of the other 1.5 million listeners to Salsoul and Fidelity will buy the HD receivers, as will those of WKAQ AM & FM who are converting shortly.

The Texas-wide HD Tejano network out of KXTN in San Antonio gets half its morning show calls out of market. That indicates to us that there may be tens of thousands of users of HD among Tejano partisans... and I have never seen a Tejano fan post on any of these boards, by the way. On air on 99.1, Tejano had about a 1.4 share and a cume of about 125,000 persons. If just 20% buy HD radios, taht is 25 thousand just in Dallas. We think, projecting the calls, that there may have been about 100 thousand to 125 thousand radios sold to get the Tejano format in Houston, Dallas, Austin, McAllen (LRGV) and El PAso.

There are no sales figures. But based on response, and our own in house monitoring we feel safe in our assumptions, which is why we spent about a half million dollars to create the network.
[/quote]

Ing. Luis A. Soto, President of UnoRadio, I think you been sold a bunch of faulty goods... Creo que no lograstes nada con HD en sus estaciones!

I have to guess that perhaps for the $100,000-250,000 it took to convert to IBOC on your six stations you've been taken for a ride as no one except maybe 4-6 people are at any moment are listening to your HD broadcasts... what would make you think all the islanders were going to buy new radios to listen to just a slightly higher audio quality in only San Juan and perhaps Ponce?

With all the hilly and mountain terrain in Puerto Rico this HD signal is going to be tough for alot of people to get with special antennas let alone having to BUY the radio and get the technical aspects out to people regarding HD radio...

Yeah... I think David is in a dream...

Radiopilot

radiopilot said:
Ing. Luis A. Soto, President of UnoRadio, I think you been sold a bunch of faulty goods... Creo que no lograstes nada con HD en sus estaciones!

It's "lograste." And stations are "emisoras" in the Caribbean. If you don't know a language, it is kind of embarassing to try to communicate in it.

I have to guess that perhaps for the $100,000-250,000 it took to convert to IBOC on your six stations

UnoRadio group has 8 FM's, 5 AMs and a dozen boosters. It is the largest radio operator on the Island, with 3 island wide FM networks and an AM news net.

you've been taken for a ride as no one except maybe 4-6 people are at any moment are listening to your HD broadcasts... what would make you think all the islanders were going to buy new radios to listen to just a slightly higher audio quality in only San Juan and perhaps Ponce?

The entire island has a 70 dbu signal on two of the three networks, and 70% on the other.

With all the hilly and mountain terrain in Puerto Rico this HD signal is going to be tough for alot of people to get with special antennas let alone having to BUY the radio and get the technical aspects out to people regarding HD radio...

This is exactly where HD does its best... it is virually immune to multipath, the thing that makes listening in ruggged terrain difficult for analog FM.

Yeah... I think David is in a dream...

I was with Salsoul during the 20 years in a row it was #1 in PR. It was always at the forefront of technology, as both the founder and his son are broadcast engineers.

Re: SPANISH OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN PUERTO RICO

radiopilot said:
David,

Just so that you are well informed..take your pick of the website to confirm!

The only problem is that BOTH English and Spanish are the official langauges in Puerto Rico and have been since 1993 following a brief 2-year period when Spanish was the single language.

So what is the point of restating the obvious, albeit from somewhat unofficial and questionable sources?

"Spanish is the primary language on the island and for a short time earlier this decade, it was the commonwealth's official language. While most Puerto Ricans speak some English, only about a quarter of the population are fully bilingual. "

This is a reference to the unfortunate 1991 bill that officialized Spanish. In 1993, the bill was superceded by one which declared both languages to the "the languages of Puerto Rico."

More completely, here is that story:

"The official languages of the island are Spanish and English. [EDIT]

I just spoke by phone with the head of the legal department of the Puerto Rico Department of Education, who confirmed to me that English is a required subject in PR public schools at this time. Unlike most schools in the United States, public school instruction in Puerto Rico is conducted entirely in Spanish. English is taught as a second language but is a compulsory subject at all levels, because English is the "other" official langauge.

[EDIT-post truncated because originating material is copyprotected.
Unauthorized use of copyrighted content is in violation of Radio-Info's
TOS.]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom