• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Difference between top 40 and CHR?

While reading about the history of radio, I've noticed mentions of "top 40" dying off in the late 70s. Instead, the term "CHR" started being used more often, and sometimes treated as an all-new format. But what's the difference? They're both tightly playlisted formats with wide range of genres aimed at the teen/young adult market. Is there any difference between the two formats, and if not why the name change?

While reading about the history of radio, I've noticed mentions of "top 40" dying off in the late 70s. Instead, the term "CHR" started being used more often, and sometimes treated as an all-new format. But what's the difference? They're both tightly playlisted formats with wide range of genres aimed at the teen/young adult market. Is there any difference between the two formats, and if not why the name change?

Radio & Records coined the name and lots of people picked it up but many continue to call it Top 40. I think "CHR" better describes the format. The old Top 40 stations were truly "all over the board". Today's CHRs are more targeted.

The name "CHR" or Contemporary Hit Radio was a fabrication of Radio & Records (Later, simply, R&R) Magazine. They wanted to distinguish their chart from the Billboard Hot 100 and the charts in Gavin and other trades like Hamilton and FMQB. So they gave their chart and the accompanying column the name we now use and it stuck.

Interestingly, when R&R started in 1973, they had 3 charts: the Rock chart and ones for Country and Pop/MOR. The "Rock" chart was Top 40, with songs like "Midnight Train to Georgia" being on an October list. They later called the chart and the format Top 40, with the term CHR taking over in 1980.

None of the other trades adopted the term within the next few decades.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom