• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Did "Kiss 104.1" Atlanta had a limited playlist when it was Urban Oldies?

As I am listening to the new Cox-owned "Hot 106.5" in Jacksonville, FL, I noticed how limited and repetitive playlist that I've pointed out several times on this board. Since the Program Director for "Hot 106.5" was Marketing and Promotions Director at sister station in Atlanta "Kiss 104.1" prior to his current assignment, did "Kiss 104.1" have a limited playlist of Old School R&B before the station transitioned into a mainstream Urban AC?

Re: Did "Kiss 104.1" Atlanta had a limited playlist when it was Urban Oldies?

Yes, KISS 104.1 was horrible when they had the "Old School R&B" format. The same songs over and over.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Yes, KISS 104.1 was horrible when they had the "Old School R&B" format. The same songs over and over.

Well, that explains everything I needed to know. BTW Shawty, what Urban Oldies stations do you think are some of the best in the country? My favorite Urban Oldies station that I've listened to online was non-commercial, community-oriented KDEE-LP in Sacramento, CA, which probably has one of the largest playlist of any Urban Oldies or Urban AC stations around because they play a number of songs that were played on the radio decades ago but are no longer played on many of today's Adult R&B stations, especially on the majority of the commercial stations.

I agree about WALR a few years ago. It was basically the very familiar, heavily tested 70s and 80s oldies that most urban AC stations play without any currents, nothing creative there. Some of the Radio One "Old School" stations have gone to this pattern, (still perhaps playing perhaps 1 deeper song per hour), months after their initial sign-on when they had wider playlists.

There are of course very few true urban oldies stations left. We have lost perhaps the two best - KKDA-AM Dallas and WDAS-AM Philadelphia within the past 7 months though WDAS-AM was quite shortlived, we also lost WMCS-AM Milwaukee which did the format in several weekend airshifts. In addition, KCOH-AM Houston is now pretty much all-talk with the exception of Don Samuel's great afternoon show.

So of what's left, probably the best is WWWS-AM Buffalo (nonstreamer), WATV Birmingham is very, very good in some dayparts (particularly evenings and overnights), WTZA-AM Atlanta (Old School 1010) is pretty good but not quite as deep. WVOL-AM Nashville is quite deep, but can be a bit too much over the map, throwing in a very wide range of music, including some rock and blues. WQQX-AM East St. Louis plays some music but doesn't quite hit the spot with me, it leans very heavily on Motown and blues, and seems to have significant gaps in other areas of 60s through early 80s soul. SoulTown and The Groove can be pretty good on XM/Sirius.

I will have to give the Sacramento station a good listen.

How could I forget WDIA is still primarily Urban Oldies in several dayparts and still sounding good ;D

So I would put my top 3 as WWWS, WDIA, WATV, and then it would be hard to choose. KTSU Houston is also urban oldies on Fridays and Saturdays and can sound pretty good too though the focus is mostly 70s/80s.

There is also the brand new WZUM-AM Pittsburgh which I haven't been able to check out yet:

http://1550wzum.com/

otharadioman said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

Well, that explains everything I needed to know. BTW Shawty, what Urban Oldies stations do you think are some of the best in the country? My favorite Urban Oldies station that I've listened to online was non-commercial, community-oriented KDEE-LP in Sacramento, CA, which probably has one of the largest playlist of any Urban Oldies or Urban AC stations around because they play a number of songs that were played on the radio decades ago but are no longer played on many of today's Adult R&B stations, especially on the majority of the commercial stations.

I'm not a fan of Urban Oldies, sorry. Considering some companies are going with the Urban Oldies format, I wonder what era is the main focus? I'd think Urban Oldies would be anything older than 1995??

There are what might be called "True" urban oldies, the stations I referenced above, and then there is the highly, tested, limited playlist variety as found on the old WALR and the new Radio One stations.

There is also the Jammin Oldies variant, still popular on the West Coast as well of course but that is really a different format with a different audience focus.

Most of the Major Market UAC's are running a Gold list of about 500 titles. In contrast, I have right under 2,000 in my smaller market UAC.

chriscollins said:
Most of the Major Market UAC's are running a Gold list of about 500 titles. In contrast, I have right under 2,000 in my smaller market UAC.

Corporate media conglomerates will seriously limit their UACs with the few exceptions, so I have applaud you for having such a wide variety of hits for your station.

I would also mention KTSU-FM Houston (Texas Southern University) which plays R&B Oldies and Old School all day Friday and Saturday. Playlist seem to be very deep, which is a function of the apparent freedom the very music knowledgeable air-personalities have in selecting their music.

Opps, sorry Scholarm1111, I missed your mention of KTSU.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom