• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Depressing sounding songs

"There Goes My Baby" by The Drifters
"Caroline No" by The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson (the single just had Brian Wilson as the artist)
"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" by The Beach Boys

"There Goes My Baby" by The Drifters
"Caroline No" by The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson (the single just had Brian Wilson as the artist)
"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" by The Beach Boys
There was kind of a mini-genre of tragedy songs in the late 50's early 60's, that dealt with suicide or car wrecks. Examples would be: "Dead Man's Curve" by Jan and Dean, "Running Bear" by Johnny Preston , or "Tell Laura I Love Her" by Ray Peterson. That last one was a serious downer.

For sad unrequited romance songs, classic country music is notorious. Thousands of unrequited romance songs which were huge hits. "I Will Always Love You", "I'll Leave This World Loving You", "I Can't Stop Loving You", etc. etc. An endless supply of sad songs.

If Casey needed a sad song to come out of in order to do a dedication to a dog that died, he should have asked for a gold country song. There are lots of country gold crossovers that could have been played. Or play gold Doo Wop, like "Tears On My Pillow". JMO

Attachments

• Doo Wop Tears on my Pillow.jpg
    Doo Wop Tears on my Pillow.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
For sad unrequited romance songs, classic country music is notorious. Thousands of unrequited romance songs which were huge hits. "I Will Always Love You", "I'll Leave This World Loving You", "I Can't Stop Loving You", etc. etc. An endless supply of sad songs.
Just about the saddest ever recorded was a minor mid-'80s hit for Vern Gosdin called "Time Stood Still," 3:33 of wall-to-wall heartbreak and hopelessness, capped off by a chorus that makes the listener wonder why Vern just doesn't end it all right then and there:

And now the seasons don't change
The days have no names
Today is like yesterday
I lean on the wine, but your memories,
Like time, baby, won't stay away

To get you off my mind
Just takes a little time
But time stood still
When you said goodbye.

Dang, that's a tearjerker from Vern Gosdin. Another equally sad tearjerker is a famous county gold song, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. (Because he passed away). There's no genre like country for depressing songs ( except maybe classical opera).

There's "Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton which was actually inspired by a personal tragedy. I also saw "Girl Interrupted" which featured "The End Of The World" by Skeeter Davis during a scene when a girl is found dead by suicide in a mental institution.

Dang, that's a tearjerker from Vern Gosdin. Another equally sad tearjerker is a famous county gold song, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. (Because he passed away). There's no genre like country for depressing songs ( except maybe classical opera).
Even he thought it was a depressing piece of cr*p. He took forever to finish the spoken word part and though no one was going to buy. Then it shot to number one and sold 8 billion copies

Alert!!! Some songs are depressing. Actually many are depressing. Some are smash hits. Don't like it, change the frequency. Radio 101. As a major market programmer once told me, "Who cares if they are depressing if they are hits?" And that is the absolute truth. I could list them, but that would take too much bandwith.

Classical music has plenty of depressing pieces, such as the well-known one below.
What makes that composition so good is Dudamel's brilliant conducting. It's not normally one of my preferred pieces, but this is a sensational performance.

Let's not forget Dickie Lee....."Patches" ....and "Laurie".....!!:(
Shangri-Las...."Leader of the Pack"....and "You Can Never Go Home Anymore"......
"Softly, As I leave You"......several artists did this one.....Most people think it's about someone breaking up with their lover...
In truth.....the song was written about someone with a terminal illness --- and didn't want their loved ones to see them suffer....
Boy, this sure is fun.......remembering all those "tear-jerker" songs.....;)
Think I'll cheer myself up by having a root canal.....or frontal lobotomy......!!!!

Back
Top Bottom