• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Delilah Comes To Evenings At WLTW 106.7 FM

I did not get a chance to listen to the show last night.How many segments of her contents were played in each hour last night?

OHIODEAL said:
I did not get a chance to listen to the show last night.How many segments of her contents were played in each hour last night?

If I did, I would have fallen asleep!!! :eek: ;)

OHIODEAL said:

For the 5 minutes I listened she talked about a family that made window frames in their house from the sawed off part of the bottom of the tree trunks of their Christmas trees as a Christmas family tradition.
This is when I knew it was time to turn the dial.

I caught about an hour of the show on-line,Tuesday night around 9:00.I think it sounds better than the satellite version indeed.However,it started to put me asleep(after just two hours of listening).I now think they should of played the John Tesh Radio Show(Voicetracked)instead.At least he does not put me to sleep after a few hours.

hellskitchen85 said:
OHIODEAL said:

What we have here is about 5 or 6 guys commenting on a station specifically targeted at women only. Why do you suppose you find the station awful? It is not aimed at you!

ok, i also caught some of the show and here are some observations (audio wise).

good delivery
interesting jungles
no local flavor
calls seems random enough

the perfect show for middle markets.

good luck jim ryan....gobble gobble.

:mad:

sorry you guys in new york have been cut down to the level of small town broadcasters. a once great radio city has come to THIS? wcbs--gone! musicradio 770 wabc--gone! stern --gone! now you have delilah?? wtf? is there any radio station in any city worth listning to anymore?

OldGringo said:
hellskitchen85 said:
OHIODEAL said:

What we have here is about 5 or 6 guys commenting on a station specifically targeted at women only. Why do you suppose you find the station awful? It is not aimed at you!

OldGringo, got some bad news here, I am a woman, and yes that means it is geared for me. Although, I would never listen to Lite because I love WPLJ, but when I listened to her on The Rose when I first listen to them as hse sucked, she put me to sleep after 1.5 hours. She is terrible!!!

So yes, it is not only the guys but some of the gals that can't stomach her!!!

OldGringo said:
The music will be the WLTW list, and the content will be selected for WLTW.

The music will be chosen by Ryan...

But it remains to be seen if any content is created especially for WLTW (outside of simple liners and ID's.)

When the show was syndicated by Jones, a few stations did this. They ripped apart her show one night...and then put it together their way to air the next night...with their own music. Jones wasn't happy about this, because apparently they had been promising X number of spins to certain record companies. (That explains the odd songs you used to hear in the Jones syndication of Delilah.)

One of the ads I saw in R&R for Delilah's show when it moved to Premiere, said "Same Delilah...Better Music!" Apparently the music was a sore spot with some affilliates.

But, back to our original point...is there going to be any special content created for WLTW? I don't think so, so I don't think they are getting a "custom show" or even a voicetracked show.....just a bunch of calls and work parts for Ryan, the Producer and WLTW to put together. Which in the end might be the best way if you have to run Delilah.

;-)

Kevin said:
Again, I ask, why is CC fixing something that's not broken?

...for the same reason any business does anything...to make money...and then to make more money!

sp113 said:
The music will be chosen by Ryan...

But it remains to be seen if any content is created especially for WLTW (outside of simple liners and ID's.)

I don't know how Premier is handling it, but under the previous syndicator, many more calls were recorded than used, and they were archived. It is entirely possible that the station could, for example, and noting demeaning is intended, not run any calls with references to double wides... since that is not a common dwelling in the NYC metro. Or eliminate calls with certain regional accents. There apparently are enough unused calls to do this. I am told that they can create whole shows without Delilah being there, with a theme and everything. That may be a bit of bragadoccio, but they do archive lots of calls.

One of the ads I saw in R&R for Delilah's show when it moved to Premiere, said "Same Delilah...Better Music!" Apparently the music was a sore spot with some affilliates.

Also likely, and since CC has Critical Mass and BA, I would imagine they do considerable research, and Jones likely did not.

housemusic said:
ok, i also caught some of the show and here are some observations (audio wise).

good delivery
interesting jungles
no local flavor
calls seems random enough

What local flavor can there be in a realtionship show? I'm sort of asking both how you would do this and why it would be important in that kind of show.

What local flavor can there be in a realtionship show?

I assume that's a rhetorical question...

It's long been my opinion that most programmers (and posters) believe localism is something based purely on geography.

Hogwash.

If you fall into that trap, then you wouldn't want air talent talking about last night's episode of CSI Miami because it's not based in New York, or about a school bus accident in Alabama that took the lives of four students.

Localism, in radio terms, should be defined as What do the people in my market care about? What makes them laugh? Think? Feel? How can I create empathy in a realistic way so my audience will remember me? Localism is NOT talking about the local school board election results. It's talking about what's meaningful to your listeners.

So as far as Delilah is concerned, Old Gringo is right. Everyone, everywhere, of every race and background, has relationship issues. If they like the way Delilah talks about relationship issues, they'll listen. If they don't, they won't. (Personally, I think they won't. Her shtick is very thin, whether she's in Des Moines or New York.) Geography, or this won't play in New York is dangerous thinking and irrelevant.

RickSklar77 said:
[size=10pt]Localism, in radio terms, should be defined as What do the people in my market care about? What makes them laugh? Think? Feel? How can I create empathy in a realistic way so my audience will remember me? Localism is NOT talking about the local school board election results. It's talking about what's meaningful to your listeners.[/size]

That ought to be engraved on every studio door. May I quote this in our next PD's meeting? I have never heard this truth expressed so clearly and accurately. Thank you!

OldGringo said:
It is entirely possible that the station could, for example, and noting demeaning is intended, not run any calls with references to double wides... since that is not a common dwelling in the NYC metro. Or eliminate calls with certain regional accents. There apparently are enough unused calls to do this. I am told that they can create whole shows without Delilah being there, with a theme and everything. That may be a bit of bragadoccio, but they do archive lots of calls.

At this rate, who needs Delilah - have JACK host the show!

Gringo, I've been reading your intelligent posts on this and other boards, and it's frustrating to see your insights get flamed simply because you know -- and honestly describe -- what makes this industry move.

I'm flattered by your kind words!

Localism, in radio terms, should be defined as What do the people in my market care about? What makes them laugh? Think? Feel? How can I create empathy in a realistic way so my audience will remember me? Localism is NOT talking about the local school board election results. It's talking about what's meaningful to your listeners.

So as far as Delilah is concerned, Old Gringo is right. Everyone, everywhere, of every race and background, has relationship issues. If they like the way Delilah talks about relationship issues, they'll listen. If they don't, they won't. (Personally, I think they won't. Her shtick is very thin, whether she's in Des Moines or New York.) Geography, or this won't play in New York is dangerous thinking and irrelevant.

[/quote]

I agree with your statement, I do believe that localism also must include your approach in delivery and while in Delilah's case the subjects may be relevant in Des Moines and New York the approach is undisputedly "Des Moines".
The "unlocalism" in approach is crystal clear in her show and frankly sounds foreign in this market.
Whether that will ultimately hurt WLTW, only time will tell.

RickSklar77 said:
Everyone, everywhere, of every race and background, has relationship issues.

Except for the people who hang out on this board and are more interested in airchecks than sex.

David, you're right about this in many ways, but I really do not feel that Delilah will work in New York.
I've heard her and her show in many cities and will be very surprised if her show actually flies in the Big Apple.
Just using the LTW playlist may not help.

In an earlier post someone mentioned that her show is on in Houston and LA. I'd like to point out that she was only on in LA for a year and that was back in 1999 if memory serves. As I stated in posts on the LA board, she was a miserable failure in the Big Smog. Perhaps if she wasn't up against the machine that is Lovesongs on the Coast she may have made more inroads in the market. I don't know what competition she'll have in NYC, but what matters most to Clear Channel is that they're saving money. That's the only reason that LTW's morning host was canned and had much to do with Delilah coming to town as well. Still, you have to factor in Delilah's "intense want" to be on in New York. I know for a fact that she'd kill to be on in LA as well, but that may be more difficult to achieve as there aren't really any CC stations for her to go to. Yeah, I know, there's a guy who keeps posting that she'll end up on KOST, but that station is in a very different place than LTW is with payroll and ratings. She would NOT be a boost to KOST, and I doubt she'll help LTW either.

Look, she's perfect for some markets, I'll agree, but I don't think she can make it work in every city and New York is on top of that list of cities where certain successful formats and shows don't work. Bill Drake had a tough go of it in NYC compared to the other markets he was consulting in, and JACK is another example. Of course if CBS had JACKED K-Rock or WNEW instead of WCBS it may have had been a bit more successful. I'm sure that CBS wishes it would do as well as it does in LA and many other cities...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom