• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

David Stein replaces VanEarl on Fox Sports Radio

M

mediafun

He's so much funnier.. what's the word out there.....anyone?

> Can you tell me where you heard/read this?

he was in all of the promos last night. and he never said "sitting in for VEW". big time upgrade........

> > Can you tell me where you heard/read this?
>
> he was in all of the promos last night. and he never said
> "sitting in for VEW". big time upgrade........
>
Anything is an upgrade over VEW. Those of us who grew tired of him and the rest of the sub-par FSR hosts won't be back anyway. Two possible reasons for the change: 1. FSR affiliates dropping the show and 2. An attempt by Ashwood to save his behind. Even in Ashwood's old stomping grounds, San Antonio, the VEW show has been cut back to one hour. I've heard Stein do updates on the World Poker Tour on XM and those are painful at best. It won't be too long until Stein's trademark, "winner-winner chicken dinner" causes listeners to start slashing their wrists.

You can say that again!

That "Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner"- and his constant BRAGGING on perhaps the worst catch phrase I have ever heard- will cause Fox Sports Radio to go out of business.

Van Earl Wright was awkward, but I found it to be more because of trying to fit into a difficult situation with a staff that was not receptive to him.

With Ben Stien you now have a mike hog paired with someone who thinks the show should be his (Sis) and an air-head (Fernandez).

Just wait 'til they do that "can't get a girl" shtick with Sisliano while Stien brags about playing golf with Randy West.

You'll be waxing poetic for references to "pig" and "Good Morning Everybody."

Not that those catch phrases were that good, either.

Re: You can say that again!

> That "Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner"- and his constant
> BRAGGING on perhaps the worst catch phrase I have ever
> heard- will cause Fox Sports Radio to go out of business.
>
> Van Earl Wright was awkward, but I found it to be more
> because of trying to fit into a difficult situation with a
> staff that was not receptive to him.
>
> With Ben Stien you now have a mike hog paired with someone
> who thinks the show should be his (Sis) and an air-head
> (Fernandez).
>
> Just wait 'til they do that "can't get a girl" shtick with
> Sisliano while Stien brags about playing golf with Randy
> West.
>
> You'll be waxing poetic for references to "pig" and "Good
> Morning Everybody."
>
> Not that those catch phrases were that good, either.
>

None of that matters. This is a band-aid until the place goes under.

Bruno has already started taking CC affiliates. I heard him yestreday on WNDE in Indy promoting he was starting on that CC station Monday morning.
You haven't seen that anywhere either, have you?

> > That "Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner"- and his constant
> > BRAGGING on perhaps the worst catch phrase I have ever
> > heard- will cause Fox Sports Radio to go out of business.
>
> >
> > Van Earl Wright was awkward, but I found it to be more
> > because of trying to fit into a difficult situation with a
>
> > staff that was not receptive to him.
> >
> > With Ben Stien you now have a mike hog paired with someone
>
> > who thinks the show should be his (Sis) and an air-head
> > (Fernandez).
> >
> > Just wait 'til they do that "can't get a girl" shtick with
>
> > Sisliano while Stien brags about playing golf with Randy
> > West.
> >
> > You'll be waxing poetic for references to "pig" and "Good
> > Morning Everybody."
> >
> > Not that those catch phrases were that good, either.
> >
>
>
> None of that matters. This is a band-aid until the place
> goes under.
>
> Bruno has already started taking CC affiliates. I heard him
> yestreday on WNDE in Indy promoting he was starting on that
> CC station Monday morning.
> You haven't seen that anywhere either, have you?
>

Even though Tony is on SNR, the Clear Channel affiliates will not go down with the ship (FSR). It's all about the money and ratings, and those CC stations can't make money if no one is listening. I wish I knew how many affiliates carried VEW at the start and how many still carry the program.

The less than one year experiment with VEW appears to be over. I always thought he was in over his head. What added further to his problems is that Ashwood tried to fit him into Bruno's place. Even retaining the name 'Morning Extravaganza' didn't help. It would have been better for VEW had he been able to cultivate his own niche instead of replacing Bruno. We all came to expect to hear Tony with Andrew and Krystal. You just don't replace someone as popular and not expect back lash from listeners. Does a round peg in a square hole apply??? Goodbye Everrrrrrrybody!

It now appears that Ashwood is grabbing at straws hoping to somewhat salvage FSR. I visited the FOX SPORTS website and went to the FOX SPORTS RADIO link I looked at some of the hosts, and in the words of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, "Who are these guys?" Many of them I have never heard of.

As for the daily schedule, the only one really worth listening to is Czaban. Chris Myers is not that entertaining, but that is not meant to diminish his ability. It's that he doesn't fit my ideal of sports talk radio. As far as Bryan Cox, he offers nothing in the entertainment department, plus from time to time, his command of the English language leaves much to be desired. Craig Shemon is okay, but James Washington is much like Bryan Cox. Plus, he definitely does not have a radio quality voice. JT the Brick is nothing but yelling and hanging up on his callers. Ashwood got him from the defunct Sports Fan Radio network. JT was working eight hours a day and penny-pinching Ashwood got him at a bargain rate. Sedano is tolerable, but his female sidekick's laughing is grating. Notice that all the programs on FSR have some type of title. Ashwood thinks he can come up with snappy show titles (the Drive, the Third Shift, Game Time React)), and just plug people in to make things work. He doesn't want powerful personalities. If we could think back to all the people FSR has gotten rid of (Bruno, Mark Patrick, Kiley and Booms, Jim Daniels, and John Ireland), these people would make an All-Star network.

You need Scotty Ferrall at night time, leave the sidekicks in the limo.

I agree with Sedano and Karen Kay's fake laughing.

D. Stein for Van Earl Wrong is somewhat better, it will never get back to the Extravaganza with Bruno.

Czaban seems cool, but I really don't care for his sidekicks either plus its only heard for an hour where I am so I don't care.

The Drive probably could use a different line up, Chris Meyers an is TV guy. Although I do like Bryan Cox and JT the prick on the Sunday night football react show.

JT seems to get on my nerves hanging up on callers and his style.

Shemon and James Washington is only heard an hour here so I really can't say much but I do like what I hear. I think J-Dub is funny.

I wish Bruce Jacobs was on more often.

> > Can you tell me where you heard/read this?
>
> he was in all of the promos last night. and he never said
> "sitting in for VEW". big time upgrade........
>

D Stein's in there this morning. Just heard the FTOF handoff. Can't help but think back to those 2 scathing emails that Czabe read on air that castigated VEW and the rest of the FSR crew.

VEW is a TV guy - and just isn't ad-libby (?) enough for radio. He needs a prompter and highlights so he can drop his catch phrases in there "flat-out"

Doesn't matter - Bruno's gonna wipe the floor with them. And hopefully no more bad traffic reports from that wooden traffic pool reporter.

"BRUNO IS BACk!"<P ID="signature">______________
Blogging with the best</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom