• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

David Lee Roth Has Got to Go

radioduck

Inactive
Inactive User
I am not a Howard Stern fan and I realize anyone taking over to do mornings is presented with a real challenge.
That being said, I think CBS Radio should have brought in a radio professional with past experience doing hot talk or at least someone who does not just want to hear himself talk and talk and talk and talk.

What is Roth's morning show supposed to be about? I remember he said to Stern that it would be a political show but just like the way Free FM sounds in general, it's all over the place and unorganized.

Their is more to doing talk than just speaking into a microphone. You have to have a purpose and have your thoughts together.

I realize he has been on only for a couple of days but I don't think he will last to long if he keeps doing whatever this show is supposed to be.

> I am not a Howard Stern fan and I realize anyone taking over
> to do mornings is presented with a real challenge.
> That being said, I think CBS Radio should have brought in a
> radio professional with past experience doing hot talk or at
> least someone who does not just want to hear himself talk
> and talk and talk and talk.
>
> What is Roth's morning show supposed to be about? I
> remember he said to Stern that it would be a political show
> but just like the way Free FM sounds in general, it's all
> over the place and unorganized.
>
> Their is more to doing talk than just speaking into a
> microphone. You have to have a purpose and have your
> thoughts together.
>
> I realize he has been on only for a couple of days but I
> don't think he will last to long if he keeps doing whatever
> this show is supposed to be.
>
They just let the "S" word go over the air!!! Listen to the last 10 minutes of the first show and there was a 5 minute plug for Syrius!! He is obsessed with Howard Stern and keeps talking about him. I worked in a station where people were sent in to SABATOGE everything. I even had to fire my manager! One of my DJs first pointed me to the problem. I used my account executive to confirm it. I am NOT KIDDING! I had to call the owner and tell him what was going on. I think Howard has an old ax to grind. Howard may have paid off David to do his dirty work. Either that or somebody wants to buy the station.

> I am not a Howard Stern fan and I realize anyone taking over
> to do mornings is presented with a real challenge.
> That being said, I think CBS Radio should have brought in a
> radio professional with past experience doing hot talk or at
> least someone who does not just want to hear himself talk
> and talk and talk and talk.
>
> What is Roth's morning show supposed to be about? I
> remember he said to Stern that it would be a political show
> but just like the way Free FM sounds in general, it's all
> over the place and unorganized.
>
> Their is more to doing talk than just speaking into a
> microphone. You have to have a purpose and have your
> thoughts together.
>
> I realize he has been on only for a couple of days but I
> don't think he will last to long if he keeps doing whatever
> this show is supposed to be.
>

radioduck:

What makes a good radio show talk host is SHOW PREPARATION. Some of it takes two to three hours before one goes on the air.

Thanks,
<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin L. Sealy</P>

> > I am not a Howard Stern fan and I realize anyone taking
> over
> > to do mornings is presented with a real challenge.
> > That being said, I think CBS Radio should have brought in
> a
> > radio professional with past experience doing hot talk or
> at
> > least someone who does not just want to hear himself talk
> > and talk and talk and talk.
> >
> > What is Roth's morning show supposed to be about? I
> > remember he said to Stern that it would be a political
> show
> > but just like the way Free FM sounds in general, it's all
> > over the place and unorganized.
> >
> > Their is more to doing talk than just speaking into a
> > microphone. You have to have a purpose and have your
> > thoughts together.
> >
> > I realize he has been on only for a couple of days but I
> > don't think he will last to long if he keeps doing
> whatever
> > this show is supposed to be.
> >
> They just let the "S" word go over the air!!! Listen to the
> last 10 minutes of the first show and there was a 5 minute
> plug for Syrius!! He is obsessed with Howard Stern and keeps
> talking about him. I worked in a station where people were
> sent in to SABATOGE everything. I even had to fire my
> manager! One of my DJs first pointed me to the problem. I
> used my account executive to confirm it. I am NOT KIDDING! I
> had to call the owner and tell him what was going on. I
> think Howard has an old ax to grind. Howard may have paid
> off David to do his dirty work. Either that or somebody
> wants to buy the station.
>

WOW!

I say it.s colonel Mustard in the drawing room with the candlestick!. Are you kidding? Howard paid off DLR?..............come on get serious.

Notice: I am going to start moving some of the generic Free-FM threads with little or no reference to WFNY itself, from the NYC Radio Board to the Hot Talk Format Board. Starting... now.<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

> WOW!
>
> I say it.s colonel Mustard in the drawing room with the
> candlestick!. Are you kidding? Howard paid off
> DLR?..............come on get serious.
>
Only time will tell.... I am not there, so I am at disadvantage with all the details. Do you think it's all human error? Don't you think there was some training and review before Dave went on the air? What other reason could you give for this kind of behavior? I noticed management is on top of things. The station is improving, but some shows will sink and some will swim. Remember; while the mighty salmon swims uphill, the mud washes to the bottom!

Give DLR Some Time

Granted, he's only been on the air for three days. I just think it will take some time for DLR to find his groove along with getting down the "chemistry" with the other supporting cast members (though I cannot STAND the British guy). But once he does, he will be okay.

The problem that David Lee Roth has, and not of his own doing, is the fact he's taken over the same shift as a radio GIANT. There is NO way hell or highwater that David Lee Roth can EVER be a Howard Stern. Yet most people will unfairly compare the two. And that isn't right.

On another board, someone mentioned Johnny Carson/Jay Leno. Granted, Leno did fill in for Carson during his days off. But it still was a HUGE TASK to take a show over from the "King Of Late Night"....even more daunting since everyone thought that David Letterman would be the "automatic" successor due to his late night show following. Yet Leno has held up over these past 14 years or so.

As long as people listen to Dave and base the show on his personna versus Howard, it isn't really bad.

TONY SANTIAGO

Re: Give DLR Some Time

> Granted, he's only been on the air for three days. I just
> think it will take some time for DLR to find his groove
> along with getting down the "chemistry" with the other
> supporting cast members (though I cannot STAND the British
> guy). But once he does, he will be okay.
>
>------------
> As long as people listen to Dave and base the show on his
> personna versus Howard, it isn't really bad.
>
> TONY SANTIAGO
>
You are right. Dave is doing better every day. I like the way he keeps the phones open. To be a good talker you have to be a good listener. However, today he said the "s" word again. That's 3 so far. He was supposed to say "shirt" and didn't say "sheet"!! He said "like when you have to wring out your s**t to get the food stains out so you can eat". You had to be listening real close to hear it. Dave is a sneak. The only man laughing was Howard Stern and those church nuts that tape the show and send it to the FCC. Now, I am far from prude, in fact I think this whole indecency thing is a sham to give up more radio stations for churches, but that's a whole other thread. I hope in a few weeks he gets better though, as he still has a long way to go. Who knows, they could replace him with someone even worse! By the way, I grew tired of Howard Stern many years ago, like an old worn out pair of shoes, they feel good at first but over time they hurt the feet. Now David is like brand new shoes. They hurt like hell during the break-in time.

DLR is no more qualified than any other person famous for something else (other than radio) and there's no reason to expect him to get good at radio any quicker than anyone else who has no experience.

This move was just another example of suits thinkin radio, even talkradio, is sooooo easy. Hell, almost ANYBODY can do it. You just talk, right? What's so hard about that? It's almost as easy as wearing a suit to work everyday and making dumb decisions.

He Can Go During A Commercial Break...

Give the guy a break; I can't imagine it being easy for anyone replacing Howard Stern...

Re: No F-Ups Today!

> Give the guy a break; I can't imagine it being easy for
> anyone replacing Howard Stern...
>
He is smart about keeping a legal show. No plugs for pay radio or Stern either. Even though I like his attitude and style, I still don't trust him as far as I could throw him. There is something very fishy going on there. He just doesn't seem to fit the part. Besides if it weren’t for his Uncle boosting his early career he would be a nobody.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom