• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

David Allan Boucher leaving Bedtime Magic

I would have felt much less sad had Delilah moved to Boston and done her nationally syndicated show at the WMJX studios. At least her show would have been local in Boston even if nationally syndicated.
She operates from a home studio in the Pacific Northwest somewhere, I believe in Oregon where she recently purchased the station where she started in radio. Pretty far from Boston.

She operates from a home studio in the Pacific Northwest somewhere, I believe in Oregon where she recently purchased the station where she started in radio. Pretty far from Boston.
Just my subjective opinion: What a disgrace to DAB’s legacy to air Delilah in a shift that he held for over 40 years. There’s nothing local about Delilah, despite the fact that she once worked in Boston. There are no local requests. The show consists of pre-recorded, often-spliced-together segments. To me, it’s a very boring listen.

At least iHeart kept Matty’s show live and local.

Update, 9 P.M.EDT, July 5th:

Delilah's show is indeed running tonight on WMJX-106.7.

I would have felt much less sad had Delilah moved to Boston and done her nationally syndicated show at the WMJX studios. At least her show would have been local in Boston even if nationally syndicated.
Delilah Rene is the second most popular nightly show in Chicago on WLIT, the third biggest city in our country. Radio is a business as we know and WMJX is a similarly programmed station. There is nothing to be sad about. WMJX saves a significant salary, and will not see any significant ratings impact. Smart programming. It doesn’t matter where Delilah broadcasts. Her inserts are recorded and listeners do not identify where they are listening. The casual listener does not know the callers are not local. The callers typically do not ask for a song and Delilah does not mention one. Stations can play any song that fits their specific playlist. Again. Smart programming. The future of radio to stay viable.

Delilah Rene is the second most popular nightly show in Chicago on WLIT, the third biggest city in our country. Radio is a business as we know and WMJX is a similarly programmed station. There is nothing to be sad about. WMJX saves a significant salary, and will not see any significant ratings impact. Smart programming. It doesn’t matter where Delilah broadcasts. Her inserts are recorded and listeners do not identify where they are listening. The casual listener does not know the callers are not local. The callers typically do not ask for a song and Delilah does not mention one. Stations can play any song that fits their specific playlist. Again. Smart programming. The future of radio to stay viable.
Again, I’m not arguing the merits. I’m giving my subjective opinion. I don’t care if WMJX saves a significant salary, just like I can care less what Xander Bogaerts makes. I’m not a casual listener. DAB was local. He talked about things related to Boston. He had a soothing, comforting voice. Indeed, he was something that Delilah will never be: The nighttime voice of the city.

Listeners do know the callers aren't local. Most have southern accents...It's not hard to figure out. Perhaps it's time for people in the radio buisness to start assuming the audience isn't stupid

Listeners do know the callers aren't local. Most have southern accents...It's not hard to figure out. Perhaps it's time for people in the radio buisness to start assuming the audience isn't stupid
Advertisers need stupid people listening to make sales, especially during late nights!

Last edited:
And while all taste is subjective, how can anyone argue that Delilah has a more interesting and compelling show than DAB did for 40 years?

Update, 9 P.M.EDT, July 5th:

Delilah's show is indeed running tonight on WMJX-106.7.

Feeling sad because someone didn’t pick and move just because their radio show was picked up in a new market? Really?

Just my subjective opinion: What a disgrace to DAB’s legacy to air Delilah in a shift that he held for over 40 years. There’s nothing local about Delilah, despite the fact that she once worked in Boston. There are no local requests. The show consists of pre-recorded, often-spliced-together segments. To me, it’s a very boring listen.

At least iHeart kept Matty’s show live and local.
Now, we are talking Audacy, yes?

I think to call it a disgrace is a bit of a stretch. They could have just ran jockless automation instead, but they wanted some sort of personality.

I respect your opinion but programs like Delilah and John Tesh are the reality at a lot of stations, corporately owned as well family/individually owned. The average listener does not care if Delilah is local or not, except the people that listened to Bedtime Magic religiously. Whether its your cup of tea or not, the show has an audience or it wouldn't be as syndicated as it is.

But yet it does not take a lot of effort to figure out that Delilah is nationally syndicated. The stations website doesn't eschew that fact, and it's obvious if people do a quick Google search. She's not a nobody, I've come across random people that know of her even though they don't listen to her show. I don't think anyone is trying to fool anyone to think the show is local.

But yet it does not take a lot of effort to figure out that Delilah is nationally syndicated. The stations website doesn't eschew that fact, and it's obvious if people do a quick Google search. She's not a nobody, I've come across random people that know of her even though they don't listen to her show. I don't think anyone is trying to fool anyone to think the show is local.
And to be blunt, who cares? Some listeners know and don’t care, some don’t care and aren’t exactly worried about researching something that generally meaningless in the big picture.

I think to call it a disgrace is a bit of a stretch. They could have just ran jockless automation instead, but they wanted some sort of personality.

I respect your opinion but programs like Delilah and John Tesh are the reality at a lot of stations, corporately owned as well family/individually owned. The average listener does not care if Delilah is local or not, except the people that listened to Bedtime Magic religiously. Whether its your cup of tea or not, the show has an audience or it wouldn't be as syndicated as it is.
I understand the reality. Even if the average listener doesn’t know that Delilah isn’t local - and I do think the average listener is more intelligent than that - I find the quality of her show to be much below that of the nearly universally respected (at least in New England) DAB. And my point is the comparison. Delilah is a huge downgrade from DAB.

I understand the reality. Even if the average listener doesn’t know that Delilah isn’t local - and I do think the average listener is more intelligent than that - I find the quality of her show to be much below that of the nearly universally respected (at least in New England) DAB. And my point is the comparison. Delilah is a huge downgrade from DAB.
Yep...but when there isn't anything else that is better, then the fact that no one cares really comes into play. Even DAB was watered down over the years, not by his doing. No callers, no music that really fits the "Bedtime Magic" feel....etc etc.....If a station was to implement that formula again at night, it would catch on and make the shortcomings of Delilah more noticeable.

Yep...but when there isn't anything else that is better, then the fact that no one cares really comes into play. Even DAB was watered down over the years, not by his doing. No callers, no music that really fits the "Bedtime Magic" feel....etc etc.....If a station was to implement that formula again at night, it would catch on and make the shortcomings of Delilah more noticeable.
Agreed. As Howard Stern, who knows a thing or two about radio, has said, stations need to give listeners a reason to tune in.

Had David Allan Boucher been ten years younger (I think he's in his mid to late sixties, given that he had been on WMJX-106.7 for 40 years), his show should have been the one nationally syndicated.

Perhaps former owner Greater Media made a mistake in not exploring national syndication for "Bedtime Magic".

WSRS has carried her show for years. I noticed tonight that they arn't the same? I thought that was odd as I thouht it was a live sattelite deliverd show? http://engineering.premiereradio.com/pro4p/files/clocks/XDS Aff Delilah M-F.pdf
Have read there are 3 different Delilah shows for different types of stations--AC (the most popular), Gold Based AC, and Christian Contemporary plus a Christmas show at that time of year

Delilah is also available as voice tracks only. I think most of the large market iHeart stations that use her show take it that way. I would bet if you compared WSRS and Magic and Lite FM in New York, they would all be playing different music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom