• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dan Taylor Uses Social Media to Say Farewell to His Listeners

While the rumors of Entercom being investigated and Dan's departure being a direct consequence might be false, I'm not convinced that he didn't say all those awful things.

While the rumors of Entercom being investigated and Dan's departure being a direct consequence might be false, I'm not convinced that he didn't say all those awful things.

On the other side of the coin, what IF this man's career and name are ruined by pure mean speculation and false accusations? It's totally possible.

What's really interesting about this post are all the comments from "listeners" of CBS-FM on Dan's FB. Half of them didn't know he was gone. Many others believe it just happened. Almost all don't listen the to station since Mr. G. left, Shannon arrived and they played a song as new as 1980, yet...they hate not hearing Dan. From all these comments, it's amazing the station has one listener.

My favs: "Broadway has too much energy." "How dare they confuse the listeners with two Taylors." "Shannon is nasty." But, the absolute best: "Now I can't stand the jerk that replaced you, so I'm glued to the radio during his time on air."

I know. I am being bad. It is nice to see that listeners still care and identify with air personalities

Last edited:
We've seen fake accusations before.

It would be nice for entercom to come out and totally deny them though, I can see why there would be no upside in them doing that.

Personally, I think they are false. the accusations sound like someone so bored, they just use the most basic of insults just to get someone in trouble.

Sadly, all it takes is a little doubt these days, and it can ruin someones career and reputation forever, so you really don't need to go to alot of effort for a false cover story.

As for Dan Taylor fans....they seem to be a bit of a ...rabid... bunch as far as their loyalty to their 'hero' goes.

Let me just add this. As sad as the thought of Dan making these bigoted comments is, it's even sadder to think that someone might have made stuff like this up. We've got enough real hatred and bigotry in this world. Personally I'm not inclined to believe that Craig Lenti would have it in him to pull such an elaborate defamation scheme, and can't see what he'd really have to gain out of it.

Besides, several other CBS Radio employees at the time have backed this up, including former music director/overnight host Lenny Bloch. You could argue that these former employees are disgrunted, but I'm not sure why want to defame Dan in particular. They had nothing but nice things to say about the other on-air talent at the time. Also, people are making the "innocent until proven guilty" argument, but seem to be presuming guilt on Lenti's part - aren't *both* sides supposed to have a fair trial?

But it doesn't really matter either way, because it seems that Dan's termination was due not to the allegations, but to his association with the station's "oldies" days, and the desire to bring in a newly available talent who fits with the station's current image. Remember that Dan didn't even get so much as a slap on the wrist when the allegations first came out, and Entercom stated that they were "standing by [their] talent". People had pretty much stopped talking about this prior to the termination.

Last edited:
Let me just add this. As sad as the thought of Dan making these bigoted comments is, it's even sadder to think that someone might have made stuff like this up. We've got enough real hatred and bigotry in this world. Personally I'm not inclined to believe that Craig Lenti would have it in him to pull such an elaborate defamation scheme, and can't see what he'd really have to gain out of it.

Besides, several other CBS Radio employees at the time have backed this up, including former music director/overnight host Lenny Bloch. You could argue that these former employees are disgrunted, but I'm not sure why want to defame Dan in particular. They had nothing but nice things to say about the other on-air talent at the time. Also, people are making the "innocent until proven guilty" argument, but seem to be presuming guilt on Lenti's part - aren't *both* sides supposed to have a fair trial?

But it doesn't really matter either way, because it seems that Dan's termination was due not to the allegations, but to his association with the station's "oldies" days, and the desire to bring in a newly available talent who fits with the station's current image. Remember that Dan didn't even get so much as a slap on the wrist when the allegations first came out, and Entercom stated that they were "standing by [their] talent". People had pretty much stopped talking about this prior to the termination.

I cannot disagree with your post, mjb. I certainly have to believe the truth will eventually come out. Broadway Bill did actually post a rare response to Dan's post on Instagram: "Well said, gracious, and factual Dan. ?????? You’ve been a consummate pro since forever...and continue to be!" There's an opinion that certainly carries a lot of weight. This one is a tough, tough situation.

All FM radio stations that aim at the 25-54 audience are constantly concerned about aging out of the demographic. Dan Taylor has been in NYC radio for quite a few decades, since the 1980s I believe. This could simply be a move to put a younger DJ in that slot. Race Taylor had been on a Hot AC station until WPLJ's sale. Maybe he'll bring over some 30-somethings and 40-somethings.

In the early 2010s, WLTW began getting rid of all its DJs and replacing them with someone younger. Rich Kaminski had previously been on WPLJ. He was chosen for PM Drive on Lite-FM.

It happens all the time.

All FM radio stations that aim at the 25-54 audience are constantly concerned about aging out of the demographic. Dan Taylor has been in NYC radio for quite a few decades, since the 1980s I believe.

Pretty sure Dan Taylor has been in New York radio since '76.

As I mentioned before, I found the accusations against him credible enough to stop listening to CBS-FM. I don’t think I could convict him in a criminal court “beyond a reasonable doubt,” but the accusations seemed likely enough to be true that I didn’t enjoy listening to him anymore. It also seems quite possible to me that Entercom cut him more for budget reasons than the accusations against him.

I think radio "fans" are overthinking this. 99.9% of listeners didn't care about who the personality was at the station. They're listening for the music (which in middays is mostly background listening). The person who cracks the mic for a 12 second break a few times per hour is becoming more and more of an afterthought to desirable listeners.

All FM radio stations that aim at the 25-54 audience are constantly concerned about aging out of the demographic. Dan Taylor has been in NYC radio for quite a few decades, since the 1980s I believe. This could simply be a move to put a younger DJ in that slot. Race Taylor had been on a Hot AC station until WPLJ's sale. Maybe he'll bring over some 30-somethings and 40-somethings.

In the early 2010s, WLTW began getting rid of all its DJs and replacing them with someone younger. Rich Kaminski had previously been on WPLJ. He was chosen for PM Drive on Lite-FM.

It happens all the time.

That may be true but Scott Shannon is hosting the morning show and his real breakthrough area was the 80's and clearly that is the direction CBS-FM is headed, recreating that era from the music to the talent, to some degree. I mean as much as the consultants and PPM's will allow in 2019. Personality on the radio is becoming more and more obsolete but I wouldn't say it's non-existent. The true Pros can take that 12 second talk up and make the most of it in a quick succinct fashion. Its a talent and ability that not everyone is equipped to handle or pull off. Race is a great talent and I think this (IMO) really comes down to his top notch ability, relatable to the demo and his rapport with Shannon from the 'PLJ days. Just as you said though Gregg, this scenario is nothing new to people in the radio business, just that some outlive others by pure luck or the uncanny ability to fly completely under the radar.

In the latest monthly ratings WCBS-FM slipped slightly from 5.8 to 5.7. It may take a few months to see if Race Taylor in the 10 AM - 3 PM slot will draw former WPLJ listeners to WCBS-FM. It appears that WKTU and WNEW have benefited by the demise of WPLJ.

I think radio "fans" are overthinking this. 99.9% of listeners didn't care about who the personality was at the station. They're listening for the music (which in middays is mostly background listening). The person who cracks the mic for a 12 second break a few times per hour is becoming more and more of an afterthought to desirable listeners.

The train wreck of PPM and cost cutting have certainly conformed the interest level of corporate radio on this subject, but when you have little or no personality on certain formats, it can cost you. Certainly, CBS-FM has a personality-driven format. Shannon and the Big Show talk much more than 12 seconds. Some would say too much. In fact, you wanna read some interesting commentary, again, go to Dan Taylor's recent Facebook post and see what people say about Shannon vs. Taylor. Admittedly, the pro-Dan posts are from life-long listeners that have mostly aged out of the station's necessary focus. But, there is legit proof of who and what matters. I also think that Race Taylor was a constructive change that was in the works as the PLJ demise was happening. PERHAPS better to transition than leave a gap with terminating Dan Taylor. I cannot say whether the "Real" purpose of the transition was for the way Dan Taylor sounded on air or his possible actions and comments behind the mic. Maybe both. It was a fairly seamless way for Entercom to make a change based upon whatever their "real" intentions were. I think the fact that CBS quickly added more 90's hits and took away many 70's hits over the last few weeks was part of a strategy to certain skew younger. They have to do this to stay relevant. I think it is to be expected that they did not get the ratings bump after PLJ. These changes will take a few months to really decipher. I am not sure how Race Taylor will do on mid-days. I do think the transition will sort of be a non-event, except on boards like this, where people are engaged more than the everyday passive listener. I am sure the music changes could alter the ratings more. But, how much is anybody's guess. As we roll into 2020, you simply have to adjust now for a transition of a monumental decade shift. Tough to imagine stations are playing "hit" songs that are now half a century old and were recorded before the desired listeners age,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom