• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dan Taylor Exits WCBS-FM

I wonder how many hours a week you guys really listen to music from the 40's? Man, I thought I was the oldest on here. I will dig some good old jazz and blues a few times a month.

I'm 40. I like older content more than newer content. I'll listen at least a few times a month for an hour or two at best....

What do you consider younger guy because if you over 35 thats not young.

In today's world, anyone under 50 is "young".

70 is the new 50, and even some Millennials will become 40 next year!

I'd like to get back to the subject at hand. I don't remember when I first heard Dan Taylor but my first reaction was that he sounded like Dan Ingram. Others said the same thing over the years. Still, I thought Dan Taylor was a talented jock.

Via streaming, I listened to Dan's show when he hosted morning drive on WCBS-FM. As someone who once lived in the NYC metro area, it was nice keeping up with happenings of the area plus I long thought CBS-FM played lots of awesome tunes. The best part of his show, in my opinion, was his interaction with the former weather guy, Irv Gikofsky, far better known as "Mr. G." Irv was Jewish. Over the air, the two sounded like they had terrific chemistry and even great timing together. Whether this was all genuine or not, I wouldn't know. To this day, I'm still surprised knowing William Frawley and Vivian Vance of "I Love Lucy" hated each other with a passion. You never would suspect that over their performance.

Perhaps, as some have indicated in this string, Dan Taylor's contract was up and Entercom thought a change was needed. Maybe it was a lot more.

On the discussion points about music, I subscribe to SiriusXM as well for a number of reasons David Eduardo posted earlier. It took me awhile but at first, I felt guilty about it. Commercial radio is special but if you can't hear the music you love, you get the feeling you aren't wanted which is the truth. There are no 25-54 rules in SiriusXM. Want to hear music from 40, 50 years or more ago - you got it.

With so many radio changes, one can't help but feel out of place. When I think of Dan's replacement, Race Taylor from the former Hot AC WPLJ, I can't help but think of the fact that I haven't listened to WPLJ since the 1970s when I still lived in the market. Sometimes, we just remember how things were but time keeps marching on. I've never heard Race Taylor on the radio so I'm a total blank page.

Last edited:
Dan has (had) the "seasoned and stable voice of a statesman," according to one source at Entercom. Race Taylor will be "more current" and "sound younger." This transition is obviously intended to keep the brand evolving and fresh sounding. My guess is you will see more "newer" classic hits that will be on the playlist after being tested with the "Oh Wow Wednesdays." That was a smart music move that, for now, has gone away. These changes should get them closer to Lite in the ratings. I think it is a series of smart moves. You don't get a PLJ chance often in radio. I have not heard anything about Dan Taylor in a week and guess he will just allow time to fade away the issues at hand. Who knows what may happen on the legal front on that subject. Tough all the way around.

In today's world, anyone under 50 is "young".

70 is the new 50, and even some Millennials will become 40 next year!

and connecting that with WCBSFM and the whole point of the thread....demographics HAVE TO play some role at this point - the station has been trying to get younger listeners since its return in 2007....although....Smash Mouth? Cmon!!

Perhaps if Todd could reunite with Scott Shannon for the mornings?

As for how CBS-FM is running nowadays, it seems that it is shifting its focus towards the younger demographic now that they are playing more 80's and 90's and less on the 70's or even earlier. Checking their playlist logged between 7pm and 11pm, I found that only 8(70's) were played, while the rest are all 80's and three songs are from the '90s. So, I'm now classifying it as an "80's station", as most other Entercom classic stations are doing. So, CBS-FM has evolved dramatically to keep up with the times. And who knows? Maybe some day we will all get to hear the songs from 2K from artists like Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, and N'Sync! :)

True No Doubt, Train, Pink, John Mayer, Maroon 5, Rob Thomas, Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Vanessa Carlton, Santana and Michelle Branch would also be in the running for 2000's classic hits.

Note I knew one of the Entercom owned stations KRTH Los Angeles played songs from No Doubt when the CBS Radio/ Entercom Deal was under debate back in 2017 and they were in progress to change the playlists to include 90's songs as part of targeting the younger demos.

sounds like you're in the demo that CBSFM is going after, kid :)

If you went to baseball games around the turn of the millennium you couldn't avoid the Smash Mouth hit. It was on so many ballpark playlists, majors and minors, that even the geezers who make up the greatest percentage of fans knew it. Same with "Macarena," "Mambo No. 5" and even the theme from "SpongeBob SquarePants." Of course, stadium playlists also made the kids whose parents brought them to the games aware of older tunes like "Centerfield" and "Dizzy" (used for the minor-league between-innings staple Dizzy Bat Race).

If you went to baseball games around the turn of the millennium you couldn't avoid the Smash Mouth hit. It was on so many ballpark playlists, majors and minors, that even the geezers who make up the greatest percentage of fans knew it. Same with "Macarena," "Mambo No. 5" and even the theme from "SpongeBob SquarePants." Of course, stadium playlists also made the kids whose parents brought them to the games aware of older tunes like "Centerfield" and "Dizzy" (used for the minor-league between-innings staple Dizzy Bat Race).

well the only tune i remember hearing at Yankee games (LET'S GO YANKEES!) was "YMCA"...and that's even older than most of the music that WCBSFM is playing these days - again, younger demos.... (I'm 60, so... :D )

@ Mr. Tibbs:

>> 'Dan has (had) the "seasoned and stable voice of a statesman," according to one source at Entercom. Race Taylor will be "more current" and "sound younger." This transition is obviously intended to keep the brand evolving and fresh sounding. My guess is you will see more "newer" classic hits that will be on the playlist after being tested with the "Oh Wow Wednesdays." That was a smart music move that, for now, has gone away. These changes should get them closer to Lite in the ratings. I think it is a series of smart moves. You don't get a PLJ chance often in radio. I have not heard anything about Dan Taylor in a week and guess he will just allow time to fade away the issues at hand. Who knows what may happen on the legal front on that subject. Tough all the way around.' <<

Terrific post! Thanks for writing !

As someone who grew up in the '90s listening to both oldies *and* the then-current music, I miss the '60s but am also all for adding more '90s. I'm just tired of the constant '80s burnouts. But that's just my personal tastes, who am I to argue with success?

I constantly see people saying they want larger playlists.....but we still hear the same old 50 or so songs constantly repeated. no matter how good jessies girl is, eventually you'll get tired of it.
sometimes you could tune in at 5AM and hear the same song at 12PM and 5PM and even more frequent..

And that won’t happen to most people. Nor are people keeping mental notes of when they last heard a song while they’re going about their actual lives. They hear what they want, a mix of the familiar and likable songs they want now.

I constantly see people saying they want larger playlists.....but we still hear the same old 50 or so songs constantly repeated. no matter how good jessies girl is, eventually you'll get tired of it.

Ask your wife or GF if she ever gets tired of hearing you say you love her or she's beautiful. She doesn't want a bigger playlist.

Songs make you feel a certain way. If it's a good feeling, you never get tired of it.

Ask your wife or GF if she ever gets tired of hearing you say you love her or she's beautiful. She doesn't want a bigger playlist.

Songs make you feel a certain way. If it's a good feeling, you never get tired of it.

wife? GF? sigh.....

shy radio nerd over here ;o)....

I for one, get tired of the same songs, over and over and over again. especially if you are beyond a P1 listener and tune in for more than two hours a day.

I have heard you say a LOT of things on here, but this is a new approach. You even abbrev. GF! Look who is going more 90's! So, I will throw this loop into the overplayed music mix. One thing that is not often done or dicussed on here is something that I have found to be effective over the years. I call it "on vacation" and it basically has been a strategy of taking various artists or groups songs and limiting or taking them out of rotation for 3-7 days. So, for example no Fleetwood Mac or Supertramp for a period. Or limiting it to various times to prevent overplay of overplayed. Listeners get a break, because they naturally tune out for periods of time anyway. Indeed there are just "those" songs that have been played billions of times and they need a little time away. It's not really all that obvious, but people will tell you lots of interesting things at remotes and the good ole fashion tests. I think this formula is fair to all parties. Of course we are talking formats where there are no currents. It also applies to probably 100 songs max and there never are that many songs out on vacation. Still, BigA is right, there is a lot of tolerence by the public to the tried and true. And virtually zero to those just so-so/average songs that may sound good a time or two a year, but don't cement listening relationships.

I call it "on vacation" and it basically has been a strategy of taking various artists or groups songs and limiting or taking them out of rotation for 3-7 days.

Not an uncommon thing to do with certain songs. But not the money songs. Sure you vary things from time to time, but when it counts, you go with the ones people wanna hear. Go to a concert by your favorite star, whoever it is. You pay for the ticket, you pay for parking, you buy a beer, sit down, and find out that the singer has put his biggest hits on vacation. Merle Haggard did that after he lost some of his songwriting royalties in a divorce. He said, "damned if I'm gonna make her any money." Well he put on vacation a lot of his biggest hits, and his fans started to get pissed. So that's what happens when you put big hits on vacation.

wife? GF? sigh.....

shy radio nerd over here ;o)....

I for one, get tired of the same songs, over and over and over again. especially if you are beyond a P1 listener and tune in for more than two hours a day.

NO radio station ANYWHERE is programming for listeners like you. 99 percent of listeners tuned in for long stretches are at work or on the road and aren't concentrating on what's being played. People who get irritated when the same song comes up twice in 5 hours are EXTREME statistical outliers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom