• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dallas-Ft. Worth Radio Ratings: June 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 5/25/2023 thru Wed. 6/21/2023, age 6+ overall:
or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

KLUV (now KSPF) went 5.1-5.4 to lead as KTCK went 6.6-5.1 to land in 2nd overall.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:
(scroll down to see Dallas-Ft. Worth market)

25-54: 1. KTCK 2. KLNO 3. KHKS 4. KVIL 5. KSCS 6. KPLX (up from #9) 8. KZPS (down from #3)
18-34: 1T. KHKS 1T. KVIL (up from #6) 3T. KKDA 3T. KLNO 5T. KPLX (up from #8) 5T. KSCS (up from #10) 7. KBFB (down from #1)
18-49: 1. KLNO 2. KVIL 3. KHKS 4. KSCS (up from #10) 5. KTCK (down from #1) 6. KDGE
_______10. KKDA (down from #5T) 12. KBFB (down from #5T)

Last edited:
93.3's music shift earlier this year seems to be doing wonders for its ratings fortunes! 🤣

On the opposite side of the ratings paradigm, that is a very impressive performance for KVIL! Congrats to them.

And the Alt rock machine is back! KXT posting its best ever 2.0 ratings is always beautiful, though I personally would have it switched with Fault 103.7’s 3.7 and high numbers in the key demos. As always, Alt 103.7 is lame, KXT is where the real Alt is at. Even newbie 88.1 Indie is seeing its best results so far at .5.

Suffice it to say, they aren't freaking out over the past 9 months. Wagers on "Santa 97.1" by November?
Of course if the station actually makes money, this is all a moot point. If it’s not, it’d be smarter to revert to the Eagle to now challenge and take away from Alt 103.7, now that they’re at the top. Flipping 97.1 to anything else would be a mistake

Suffice it to say, they aren't freaking out over the past 9 months. Wagers on "Santa 97.1" by November?

Perhaps...

I would also like to point out that DFW is one of the largest markets that doesn't clear Premiere's Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Show and Hannity is on a two hour delay here.

Also, based on what we have already seen from The Freak so far, it seems likely they could make a bigger dent running at WBAP than they are at The Ticket.

Some of the current shows could even been retooled for a more general market focus instead of "guy talk".

KLUV (now KSPF) went 5.1-5.4 to lead as KTCK went 6.6-5.1 to land in 2nd overall.

Very impressive even after the name change!

93.3's music shift earlier this year seems to be doing wonders for its ratings fortunes! 🤣

On the opposite side of the ratings paradigm, that is a very impressive performance for KVIL! Congrats to them.

You can't call yourself a 90s/early 2000s station if you still play The Weeknd, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, and Lil Nas X in heavy rotation. It's still a CHR station in my opinion (sadly). Hope EMF puts this station out of its misery soon.

Alt is becoming more impressive now with the music selection these days.

The Freak continues to rise and do well! Got to wonder if there’s some worry over at The Ticket

The Freak is getting "better and better..." at sinking down lower 🤣

Perhaps...

I would also like to point out that DFW is one of the largest markets that doesn't clear Premiere's Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Show and Hannity is on a two hour delay here.
No clearance in DFW, but you would think if there was a demand for the show, iHeart would have at least placed them on 1190. It works out well enough for Walton and Johnson in Houston, with their flagship being on the AM known as KPRC.
Also, based on what we have already seen from The Freak so far, it seems likely they could make a bigger dent running at WBAP than they are at The Ticket.
This I can see. Reverting to The Eagle for the 3rd time, as was suggested by loverofradio, I do not. However, would it really benefit 97.1 to take on WBAP? A straight simulcast of 820 did little to nothing for 96.7, so I have to wonder if competing against the heritage AM with a different lineup of right wingers would move the needle in any way for KEGL. That would be a gamble. Of course, what they're holding now is equivalent to a pair of dueces, so anything might be an improvement.

I've said it before, The Freak is simply bad radio. Without a Mavs game airing, the rest of the programming is a complete snooze fest.

Last edited:
Sounds like perhaps 97.1 needs a new PD.
97.1 needs a new focus. I would call Mark Cuban and ask about his availability for the next couple of years. You are the flagship station of the once world champion Dallas Mavericks. Act like it. Cut out the hee haw crap and build around those rights you purchased to air the package.

Just a country boy's opinion. I'll go back to checking on my hens now. I'm ready for some breakfast. 😁

A straight simulcast of 820 did little to nothing for 96.7, so I have to wonder if competing against the heritage AM with a different lineup of right wingers would move the needle in any way for KEGL. That would be a gamble. Of course, what they're holding now is equivalent to a pair of dueces, so anything might be an improvement.
On the flip side, the 96.7 simulcast seems to have had a tremendous affect on The Ticket. FM is like magnification for compelling programming because of its much wider reach.

I am a regular listener of WBAP. While there are some things well done, it is also pretty creaky. The sounders and pacing of the news for example is very slow and old sounding. Compare WBAP to WSB or KFI sometime, it's pretty rough.

I don't think a newstalk flip is in the cards or even likely. Just pointing out that it likely would perform better than what they are currently doing and that WBAP could use some legitimate and fresh competition.

97.1 needs a new focus. I would call Mark Cuban and ask about his availability for the next couple of years. You are the flagship station of the once world champion Dallas Mavericks. Act like it. Cut out the hee haw crap and build around those rights you purchased to air the package.

Just a country boy's opinion. I'll go back to checking on my hens now. I'm ready for some breakfast. 😁
I highly doubt Mark Cuban cares or even listens to what’s on 97.1. I’m pretty sure when they flipped his only thoughts were, “oh that’s nice.” If we’re seeing what happened across the country, with classic alternative formats, why couldn‘t the Eagle relaunch? They have the heritage name brand that people still very much recognize. Why not go after Audacy and 103.7? I think now, is the perfect time to pull the trigger

I highly doubt Mark Cuban cares or even listens to what’s on 97.1. I’m pretty sure when they flipped his only thoughts were, “oh that’s nice.”
You missed the point here, I think, that getting him involved in a Mavericks centric sports formatted station would be the key. Have him calling in, sitting in the studio for a weekly discussion, recording "This is Mark Cuban, owner of your world renowned Dallas Mavericks, and you're listening to the Mavericks radio home on 97.1 The Freak.", something. Look closely, and this also holds true of the money demos, hardly anybody is listening to The Freak.
If we’re seeing what happened across the country, with classic alternative formats, why couldn‘t the Eagle relaunch? They have the heritage name brand that people still very much recognize. Why not go after Audacy and 103.7? I think now, is the perfect time to pull the trigger
You would fire a blank, lover. Audacy is the only company that would've made that move, then or now. The Eagle is done. It was resurrected once, given a lengthy time to return to its former glory, and didn't live up to the legacy. I share in your fond memories of the mighty KEGL, but when even killing off The Edge didn't help it's second attempt, it was over. iHeart wasn't committed to the first or second run of The Eagle netting DFW "Sunny", on the first go around, and now "The Freak". A lot of The Eagle's woes were attributed to too much talk and not a lot of music in the final year. That mentality hasn't changed. iHeart rightfully believes they can do the most with KEGL by running spoken word. I agree with the idea, but the implementation and execution of it all has been a spectacular dud. The programming has been a waste of 9 months on a Cedar Hill facility. 🤦‍♂️

This is all fixed, while not interrupting what your sports franchise is doing, by going all Mavs, all the time. Hell, call it "The Mav" if that helps put some ears to the speaker.

Sorry, loverofradio. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a full length Mettalica song rattling the studio speakers at 97.1 anytime soon.

You missed the point here, I think, that getting him involved in a Mavericks centric sports formatted station would be the key. Have him calling in, sitting in the studio for a weekly discussion, recording "This is Mark Cuban, owner of your world renowned Dallas Mavericks, and you're listening to the Mavericks radio home on 97.1 The Freak.", something. Look closely, and this also holds true of the money demos, hardly anybody is listening to The Freak.

You would fire a blank, lover. Audacy is the only company that would've made that move, then or now. The Eagle is done. It was resurrected once, given a lengthy time to return to its former glory, and didn't live up to the legacy. I share in your fond memories of the mighty KEGL, but when even killing off The Edge didn't help it's second attempt, it was over. iHeart wasn't committed to the first or second run of The Eagle netting DFW "Sunny", on the first go around, and now "The Freak". A lot of The Eagle's woes were attributed to too much talk and not a lot of music in the final year. That mentality hasn't changed. iHeart rightfully believes they can do the most with KEGL by running spoken word. I agree with the idea, but the implementation and execution of it all has been a spectacular dud. The programming has been a waste of 9 months on a Cedar Hill facility. 🤦‍♂️

This is all fixed, while not interrupting what your sports franchise is doing, by going all Mavs, all the time. Hell, call it "The Mav" if that helps put some ears to the speaker.

Sorry, loverofradio. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a full length Mettalica song rattling the studio speakers at 97.1 anytime soon.
Lol! It’s not hurting me! I don’t live in Dallas. I just think it’s unfair for everyone to say “the Eagle didn’t work!” But, the station was a glorified talk format. iheart didn’t give the Eagle a chance to succeed. Listen to your audience, because thei sure as hell aren’t listening to the Freak. You can run the Eagle the same way other rock stations have been resurrected. It’s not that hard. Russ Martin’s death didn’t kill the station. It was iHeart forcing talk hosts down the listeners throat to “replace” him instead of just focusing on the music (what 103.7 is doing now). im not accusing you of this. But too many times on this board, people let their personal tastes and feelings get in the way of the truth

Lol! It’s not hurting me! I don’t live in Dallas. I just think it’s unfair for everyone to say “the Eagle didn’t work!” But, the station was a glorified talk format. iheart didn’t give the Eagle a chance to succeed. Listen to your audience, because thei sure as hell aren’t listening to the Freak. You can run the Eagle the same way other rock stations have been resurrected. It’s not that hard. Russ Martin’s death didn’t kill the station. It was iHeart forcing talk hosts down the listeners throat to “replace” him instead of just focusing on the music (what 103.7 is doing now). im not accusing you of this. But too many times on this board, people let their personal tastes and feelings get in the way of the truth
yeah, truth is Russ' deteriorating health and later death did cause the downfall of The Eagle, Russ was not well in his final years, he was dealing with heart problems and a blood clot, plus he suffered severe PTSD from his home invasion in 2015, while the rest of what is "The Treehouse" cast always play it for laughs every time the anniversary of the home invasion happens since it occurred during the Holidays, but truth is, they don't realized trauma of that event and what it did to their "Bossman". the station was gonna struggle without him, he was the anchor, and their stale choice of music was always goofed on, especially when Russ brought up they keep playing the same AC/DC songs over and over instead of different AC/DC songs. most listeners of The Eagle possibly kept it on 97.1 when it was Russ' home and kept the music cause they knew it was killing time until Russ was on. me, i often only listen to 97.1 for the duration of Russ' show for a majority of the 2011-Russ' death incarnation of the show on The Eagle, then when Russ died, i kept supporting what became The Treehouse, and when they were let go, i knew the end was near, i stood by with the show when Clo was outted as a pedo and they distanced themselves from him and his evil sick behavior that i'm sure if Russ knew, he would have killed Clo himself.

i have since moved on from listening to 97.1 and now get my "Treehouse" fix from their new podcast which is twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays. and last week, they taped their second "Live on location from a bar" podcast and to follow up on the Treehouse, Dan O'Malley moved out of Texas to live in a island in the Caribbean sea, Alfie Coy was on the podcast until he quit recently to focus on his other endeavors that pays him money for working and Trey Trenholm returned to the show full time as Dan's co-host and Everett Newton sometimes appears on the podcast, Mark Verma from PAWS In The City who normally did the dog adoption segments on Fridays on the RMS/Treehouse died last year after a battle with Cancer, and Scott West, we already knew he died last year too.

Helps that their main competition went away right about the time they started turning around.

Back
Top Bottom