• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dallas-Fort Worth Radio Ratings: November 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 10/12/2023 thru Wed. 11/8/2023, age 6+ overall:
Alternate view: https://www.urbaninsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/DALLAS-FT.-WORTH.htm
Alternate view: Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. - scroll down to see Dallas-Fort Worth:

25-54: 1. KLNO 2. KTCK 3. KSCS 4. KHKS 5. KRLD-FM 8T. KSPF (down from #5) 8T. KPLX
18-34: 1. KLNO 2. KHKS 3T. KSCS 3T. KVIL (up from #7) 5. KPLX 10T. KKDA 10T. KZMJ
18-49: 1. KLNO 2. KSCS 3. KVIL (up from #9) 4. KSPF 5. KHKS 6T. KMVK 6T. KRLD-FM 6T. KJKK

In the overall ratings, KTCK is #1 and KRLD-FM is #5. I'm not sure any other market has two Sports stations in the top 10, let alone the top five. Maybe in the past, WEEI-FM and WBZ-FM have done it in Boston. But I'm not sure.

That also means three spoken-word stations are in the Dallas top ten. KERA-FM, the NPR station, is #6. That's also virtually unknown in the Sunbelt, where few spoken word stations score that well.

Question from an average listener: What's more important? Numbers or Cume? I noticed that Majic 94.5 has a 2.1 with a cume of 266,100, while 97.9 The Beat has 1.7 with a cume of 463,900.

Interesting to see how KDMX is doing now that they've reverted back to calling themselves "Mix 102.9". They're in 19th place with a 2.3 share in overall ratings, but are in 4th place for cume (845,300 listeners). So it seems like they're getting a lot of listeners, but few of those listeners are hanging around for long.

I've heard of "high cume" formats, but this seems extreme.

Question from an average listener: What's more important? Numbers or Cume? I noticed that Majic 94.5 has a 2.1 with a cume of 266,100, while 97.9 The Beat has 1.7 with a cume of 463,900.
Average Quarter Hour "rating" is the most important to ad buyers, followed by AQH persons.

Programmers look at AQH "share" in their target demos as share is more granular. We don't look much at cume unless there is a dramatic change either up or down.

Rating = percent of all people listening to you in the designated time period.
Share = percent of those listening to the radio who are listening to you.

Interesting to see how KDMX is doing now that they've reverted back to calling themselves "Mix 102.9". They're in 19th place with a 2.3 share in overall ratings, but are in 4th place for cume (845,300 listeners). So it seems like they're getting a lot of listeners, but few of those listeners are hanging around for long.
Current hit based formats tend to have high cume and lower TSL. Gold based formats usually are the opposite.

Cume is not a sales metric. Having said that, the sales managers at stations where I've worked would rather have numbers driven by cume than by TSL. Once you've solved the problem of getting an advertiser in the door, getting that person to buy more is a lot easier than getting more customers in. Given that Majic seems to do better in important demos, I would guess it's in better shape. Demographics are really the key as a 0.5 difference in AQH share would be a statistical tie in many markets. I've only worked non-radio jobs in Dallas. So, I can't speak for that market in particular, but the stations where I've worked would've been either happy or nervous if we were 0.5 apart from our main competitor.

I've heard of "high cume" formats, but this seems extreme.

We noticed something similar with KVIL after it adopted the alternative format. It performed near the bottom of the ranks after its launch but was routinely top-10 in cume. I don't think cume was ever as high as it is at KDMX, but it had a lot more people listening than its share indicated.

Back
Top Bottom