• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CW Could be on the Move in Phoenix as Soon as Next Week

There goes Wallace & Ladmo in the vaults for good (not that the younger generations would care anyway). The downside of a large corporation taking over a local operation.
I guess no one passed on the message to the people at Arizona Daily Mix as they did a segment today about the Wallace and Ladmo 70th Anniversary and said that it airs Sundays on Channel 7.5. Also the Wallace and Ladmo banner ad has been removed from AZTV.com front page.

Last night, I watched Family Ties with Michael J. Fox and Mork and Mindy on KAZT Reward TV Channel 7.5. Before Reward TV, It used to showed old tv shows such as Dragnet, Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, and Wallace and reruns of the Ladmo Show on this channel.

I apologize for the typo error on my smart phone. Last night, I watched Family Ties with Michael J. Fox and Mork and Mindy on KAZT Reward TV Channel 7.5. Before Reward TV, It used to showed old tv shows such as Dragnet, Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, and reruns of the Wallace and Ladmo Show on this channel.

Now, there are real rumblings about the Coyotes leaving Arizona as soon as next season. In that case, does The CW move back to 61 and Nexstar terminate the TBA with KAZT? I don't see them keeping The CW on a station which has OTA signal challenges in the population center, even if they operate it.

Now, there are real rumblings about the Coyotes leaving Arizona as soon as next season. In that case, does The CW move back to 61 and Nexstar terminate the TBA with KAZT? I don't see them keeping The CW on a station which has OTA signal challenges in the population center, even if they operate it.

I think in the unlikely event that the Coyotes relocate to Utah, KASW will continue to broadcast Coyotes games in the same way that Scripps' KUPX in Utah currently broadcast Coyotes (and Golden Knights) games.

I think in the unlikely event that the Coyotes relocate to Utah, KASW will continue to broadcast Coyotes games in the same way that Scripps' KUPX in Utah currently broadcast Coyotes (and Golden Knights) games.
There will no longer be a fan base here to make those broadcasts profitable. If they were to keep hockey, I could see them showing Golden Knights but not SLC, but even airing Vegas would be a gamble too. Phoenix isn’t what it was in the ‘70s and ‘80s when Dodgers were piped in to local TV.

There is no way the Coyotes are worth $1.2B in Phoenix. Not looking good for hockey fans in The Valley of the Sun. Wonder if we’ll have a Cleveland Browns situation where the branding is held for a future expansion team?

I’m in Houston where there is increasing noise about Rockets owner Tillman Fertitta being interested in an NHL team through expansion or relocation. The Rockets are part owner, along with the Astros, of the (stand-alone) Space City Home Network RSN, which could sure use 82 hockey games to fill programming when MLB isn’t playing.

Atlanta seems to be heating up as another expansion or relocation target. The Flames failure was a long time ago, and the Thrashers were the victim of being combined into a deal for the Hawks and arena rights where new owners wanted the hockey team gone.

Unless Scripps buys KAZT since the full powered signal only covers Prescott. Sure they can keep secondary rights after the move but there's an upcoming Gray station and Sinclair's KJZZ. I never expect they didn't choose KTVK or KUTP for CW or having Gray, Fox, or Scripps buying rights to the Diamondbacks.

Unless Scripps buys KAZT since the full powered signal only covers Prescott. Sure they can keep secondary rights after the move but there's an upcoming Gray station and Sinclair's KJZZ. I never expect they didn't choose KTVK or KUTP for CW or having Gray, Fox, or Scripps buying rights to the Diamondbacks.
I don't see any reason Scripps would want to buy KAZT. Plus isn't Scripps at the FCC cap of stations they can own. As it is, in the Phoenix Market, Scripps owns KNXV and KASW, and technically programs KPPX (with was sold to Inyo Broadcast as part of the ION acquisition) with the option buy it back if FCC rules change to allow.

No chance, especially with Nexstar operating KAZT. There's a better chance, once the WPIX/NYC mess is cleaned up & they own them along with the rest of the old Tribune Big 3 (WGN/Chicago & KTLA/Los Angeles), they down the road make KAZT a CW O&O than making Phoenix CW viewers play musical chairs for a 3rd time. It'd be really unfortunate for KASW if the Coyotes moved because they wanted this to work out as they gave up the CW affiliation for this.

If Nexstar is ordered by the FCC to end their TBA of KAZT (just like the FCC spanked them over WPIX) then maybe the CW goes back. Otherwise just make KASW a turnkey Ion outlet.

If Nexstar is ordered by the FCC to end their TBA of KAZT (just like the FCC spanked them over WPIX) then maybe the CW goes back. Otherwise just make KASW a turnkey Ion outlet.
They have an Ion station but they spun out to Inyo, they could've been bought by Tegna or Sinclair. There's also KPAZ also.

They have an Ion station but they spun out to Inyo, they could've been bought by Tegna or Sinclair. There's also KPAZ also.
Nothing says the current Inyo station can't switch to another Scripps diginet as their primary affiliation. They're little more than relay transmitters.

Nothing says the current Inyo station can't switch to another Scripps diginet as their primary affiliation. They're little more than relay transmitters.
Ion is nearly as close as a network because they have Scripps' in-house spelling bee along with women's sports and it's a must carry even wiht the subchannel move in their Las Vegas and SLC duopolies.

Whatever the case is, this is a bad look for Scripps. They jumped in head first on a franchise whose future in Phoenix was in doubt when they signed the contract. Now, they're going to have an independent station which lost carriage on Dish and is still (for some unknown reason) up in the diginet tier on Cox.

Back
Top Bottom