• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Customs of Christmas

B

Braswell

Some time ago, the subject of a classic series of Christmas vignettes, "Customs of Christmas", was brought up on Radio-Info.

I have great news. This series is still available. I discovered this very accidentally, and have ordered them for our Alabama stations.

If you've been wanting to air these, here's where you can get them;

Customs of Christmas

No...I have no business connection with this company. For years, I've been wishing I'd made dubs of those reel to reel tapes.<P ID="signature">______________
Jay Braswell - Moderator
Atlanta/North Florida/South Carolina/Georgia Boards</P>

Jay,
How did you ever find this by accident? I was the one who brought this up last year on Radio-Info (first on the Coast-to-Coast board with no response; then on the Classic Radio board).

The "Customs of Christmas" were featured on the old WRDR Unforgettable 104.9 outside Atlantic City throughout the 90s. (The station was sold in 1999). We looked forward to hearing these on the air every year much like the annual showings of Rudolph and Charlie Brown on TV. Through my research I was able to trace the series to Creative Marketing & Communications in Cincinnati, but see now that it's based in Portland OR.

I would love to obtain the old "Stories of Christmas" set. They have this listed as one of the holiday commercial wraparounds available, but it doesn't have the same opening theme music. The narrator and storylines are the same, but the current version uses a rather bland instrumental of "Silent Night" which doesn't pack the same punch as the old childrens chorus opening of "la la la la la la la la...." which I heard back in the 80s on stations like WPEN in Philadelphia, WJR in Detroit, and a beautiful music station around 92 FM in Burlington VT. I wonder whatever happens to old material such as this which isn't used anymore.
Well, many many thanks for listing this information here!

I remember running that one Holiday season at WNRK.

Some features like that are saved in the music library or production room. Often though, if its something that probably won't be used again, it goes in the trash. Or pack rats like me take it home to hoard away and then forget where it is!

> Jay,
> How did you ever find this by accident? I was the one who
> brought this up last year on Radio-Info (first on the
> Coast-to-Coast board with no response; then on the Classic
> Radio board).
>
> The "Customs of Christmas" were featured on the old WRDR
> Unforgettable 104.9 outside Atlantic City throughout the
> 90s. (The station was sold in 1999). We looked forward to
> hearing these on the air every year much like the annual
> showings of Rudolph and Charlie Brown on TV. Through my
> research I was able to trace the series to Creative
> Marketing & Communications in Cincinnati, but see now that
> it's based in Portland OR.
>
> I would love to obtain the old "Stories of Christmas" set.
> They have this listed as one of the holiday commercial
> wraparounds available, but it doesn't have the same opening
> theme music. The narrator and storylines are the same, but
> the current version uses a rather bland instrumental of
> "Silent Night" which doesn't pack the same punch as the old
> childrens chorus opening of "la la la la la la la la...."
> which I heard back in the 80s on stations like WPEN in
> Philadelphia, WJR in Detroit, and a beautiful music station
> around 92 FM in Burlington VT. I wonder whatever happens to
> old material such as this which isn't used anymore.
> Well, many many thanks for listing this information here!
>

Jim, if your still checking in, here is the number to call to reach Creative Marketing and Communications the syndicators of "Stories of Christmas" amd "Customs of Christmas"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom